Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Where to find – stuff to kit out a house
  • DickBarton

Ok, daft thread title but I’m possibly about to convert a large house into a 1 up and 1 down and will need to convert upstairs from bedrooms to a ‘house’ – pretty much everything –

Gas

Electricity

Floor coverings

Furniture

Kitchen kit

I’m also thinking of converting a large chunk of the loft into my bedroom/study so would need floored and some forms of light (windows) added.

Doing a usual Google search returns umpteen places but there is too much to take in…so, calling on the hive mind, where would the best place be to look for all this stuff. Price is important but I’d prefer quality over price.

I’m also thinking a rubber flooring for stairs, hall and bathroom (which I’d like as a sort of wet room/drying room).

Needing an idea of cost as I suspect none of this is cheap…also need to get sparky and gas done…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Your big problem will be adequate fire separation between the flats.  Get some proper advice  and costs for that first.

johndoh
    Free Member

Perchypanther with a sensible reply – where is the real Perchypanther?

jekkyl

Ikea!

dmorts

Your big problem will be adequate fire separation between the flats.  Get some proper advice  and costs for that first.

Sound insulation could also be a huge headache. The noise reduction through the ceiling will be required to be tested for signing off from Building Control. Get this tested before laying carpet, painting, installing kitchens etc. The old “extra layer of plasterboard on the ceiling” doesn’t cut it.

I know this as in a previous life I used to do the testing

DickBarton

Thanks for advice so far…this is still hypothetical for now and I’m fact gathering to hopefully help if (when) this happens.

Apparently house was 2 houses previously, so did have separate power in to up and down…suspect it was done before the separation protection stuff got improved, so likely it was just a line at the front door.

toby

I’m not a buildingologist, but I think you will also need to investigate headaches with water in and out. At a previous residence the guy fitting a water meter commented on the fact that the incoming mains hadn’t been upgraded where that would have been needed if partitioned more recently.

Also with waste water companies taking responsibility for all pipe from where feeds from different properties join now, instead of at the property boundry, they’re going to become responsible for a chunk of pipework, I’ve no idea if there will be a charge / inspection / required upgrade.

dknwhy

Previous separation was probably before all the fire reg stuff was as much as a priority as it is now. Unless there is an existing external staircase to the upstairs area, you’ll need to create a communal hallway which then will need fire rated doors and the usual stuff for safe escape – emergency lighting etc.

The internal staircase and floors are likely to need fire stopping too, along with any ducting/gaps between floors.

Speak to building control at your local authority.

franksinatra

pretend you have a nasty genetic illness and get Nick Knowles and his gang to do it for you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Where to find – stuff to kit out a house’ is closed to new replies.