Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Where to find jobs?
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

For years my go-to has been Indeed. But it seems in recent years it is not as good and any jobs listed there are listed by multiple agencies. So you never know if you are dealing with the correct agency (the one employed by the company with a vacancy) or one that is just copying other adverts in the hope of catching an ideal candidate that they can use to shoe horn their selves in with the company ( is this a thing in the industry?).

So what’s current best website/app other resource to find jobs? And how do you avoid applying to agencies that are actively working with the company that has the vacancy?

lunge

Indeed is a job scraper, it picks up the jobs that everyone posts on other boards and amalgamates the in one place. That’s the reason you’ll get duplicates.
    Google Jobs is pretty good and gives you more info than Indeed.
    LinkedIn has its merits if the roles you’re after are a bit more senior.
    Other job boards, Reed, TotalJobs, CV-Library are all much of a muchness.

There’s no simple way of avoiding agencies who don’t have the job on bar getting on the phone and talking to them.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What area do you work in? For IT I’ve always found that CWJobs, Jobsite and CV Library tend to be alright but moreso in recent years, LinkedIn.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trailwagger
    Free Member

There’s no simple way of avoiding agencies who don’t have the job on bar getting on the phone and talking to them.

So you just ask them outright if they are the employed agency? (stupid question)

lunge

So you just ask them outright if they are the employed agency?

Yeah, pretty much. Ask them if they’re working the role exclusively (if they say yes and you’ve seen the same job advertised elsewhere then dig further). Ask if they’re on the PSL. Ask how many people they’ve placed into the firm in the past.
    They may lie, but the more questions you ask the more likely you are to get a feel if they’re telling the truth. There’s no real other way of doing it.
    Actually, look at the adverts too. A good agency won’t have copied and pasted a job spec, they’ll have written some good copy.
    Realistically, you can’t avoid agencies, and in many cases don’t want to as they may have access to jobs the wider market doesn’t.

lunge

And do bear in mind, some companies will have lots of agencies working on the same role, some PSL’s send the job out to 5 or 6 different agencies at the same time so expect some duplicaion.

matt_outandabout

Where to find jobs?

If I were younger I would be re-training into Fire/Police/NHS/Teaching/Essential service in engineering etc…

oldtennisshoes

There’s no easy answer to this as you can have crap agents working as sole suppliers with some clients. My last 2 contracts have been with great end clients, but the agents have been pish. Depending on the type of work you do and how good you are (will agents actively approach you for a vacancy they are trying to fill?) you should consider getting in touch with the agents that have advertised roles you are interested in, to raise your profile and ask if they can check over your CV etc.

What industry?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Location and job?
    Lots of people on here..

lister

This is all new for me…haven’t had to look for a job since 2001!

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Recruiters and google – use all the sites.

Recruiters however will be 10 times more efficient than you at getting you interviews and then they’ll haggle for higher pay (which they are good at). It’s also worth remembering the good recruiters and using them again in the future.

I don’t even bother applying for roles now, they’re better at selling me on paper/over the phone than I am and have pushed me into roles that I might have doubted myself in and wouldn’t have thought to apply for – where as I do well once I’ve got through to the interview stage.

They have a bad reputation but the good ones remember you, invite you out for coffee, help you with your career direction and help you to understand the job marketplace. I’d probably not be where I am today without the encouragement of a couple of really driven men and women in that industry.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Well if a Muppet from Oakley can get a job! 😁

wardee
    Free Member

If you have used Indeed it is very important to check the CV that you have uploaded on the site itself. Especially if you upload an existing file.

The sites AI is very clever, but does not work!

When I last used the site in October it automatically rewrote my CV and screwed it up royally. It deleted key sections and qualifications and added new and incorrect statements like “3 months project management experience.” 15 years would be more accurate.

The website script automatically deletes contact details,radically changes the structure to match the proforma it wants using cut and paste, and adds its own list of skills based on a search of the document for dates and keywords. It tries to turn the cv into a searchable database entry.

It does not send the CV that you upload to the recruiter, and does not warn you that it has changed your CV after upload.

The agency I spoke to said that they regularly receive CV’s from Indeed which are almost totally blank.

footflaps

The agency I spoke to said that they regularly receive CV’s from Indeed which are almost totally blank.

We had the opposite recently recruiting SW Engineers, most CVs had a key skills section which then listed the same 30+ acronyms for various languages / packages. That’s not key skills its just alphabet soup fishing for a word match somewhere. Quite odd.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Where to find jobs?’ is closed to new replies.