Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where to buy wood to build some shelves in an alcove?
  • scunny
    Free Member

We have two alcoves either side of our fireplace that I’ve been told need shelving. I thought I’d easily find a web store offering length/width/depth options but I’m struggling, presumably searching for the wrong thing. I’m not after any ‘floating shelves’ which is all I seem to be finding, I just want a length of wood and will bracket it myself.

Any pointers?

Drac

Local independant timber merchants, tell what it’s for and they will give you good advice as well as prices.

TomB

I’ve done exactly that task, went to timber merchant and discussed with useful wood-knowing chap. He pulled out a big 8×4 sheet and cut the right sizes for me on the table saw. I mounted battens either side and and back to hold the shelves. Be aware alcoves are generally not exactly square so you will need to trim/shape slightly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

First rule of timber. Do not buy off the internet, its the most stupid way to buy timber.

Esp for shelves in low numbers.

Go to timber merchants and dont be afraid to reject timber – warps twists etc will not pull out, will make the job a mare or a mess.

Timber mechant doesnt care. He just ships it out with his next client thats pissed him offs order.

I did once try to buy an emergency piece of skirting from bnq on a sunday. Drove there, went throug every bit on the shelf and it was all buckled and twisted. Guess thats what comes of storing it verticly.

project
    Free Member

Remeber in older houses, the pipes from the back boiler of a coal fire usually went up the side of the alcove from the fire place, so beware where you drill.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Don’t start me on bnq timber. Utter rubbish by the time you pull it off the rack, storing vertically yes but outside in all weathers doesn’t help either. Got several lengths of CLS in the loft that look like pieces off a Hot Wheels race track.

As said get to a local merchant, they’ll invariably be cheaper anyway.

scunny
    Free Member

Had a visit to a timber merchant on the list, just wanted to get in the mood on a Sunday night. I’m not sure we’ve got one in town, but i’ll track one down.

peterfile
    Free Member

Nothing useful to add, but i can’t help but think of this whenever I see the word ‘alcoves’

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQXlW0GzlD4[/video]

righog
    Free Member

I am gonna use scaffolding boards, when I get round to doing ours.

jamj1974

Totally not what you are asking for OP but I have found these excellent on both occasions I have used them.

Shelfbar

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy wood to build some shelves in an alcove?’ is closed to new replies.