Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Where to buy strong bread flour?
  • Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

C’Mon then where did you go to compile your list of shops that have plentiful stock?

Glasgow’s small shops had plenty of stock, – when the care home my mum stays in locked down along with other families I had to help the home stock up with key toiletries as the staff were having to minimise their contacts outside the home –  and there were plenty (and the shops were otherwise well stocked) even though the supermarkets were sold out.  A friend of my GF’s in Troon needed to self isolate and we;ve been collecting shopping for them – and until this week when supermarkets started to get their stocks back in order we bought all they needed from small shops. On the hight street in Kilmarnock any small shop had everything that was supposed to be in short supply – often in the window so not exactly hidden. Here in the boondocks my local shop has been giving daily updates of what they have and they alway appear to maintain a good stock and I bought the yeast we’ve got (plus some the above self-isolatee) from a minimart in a back road in Auchinleck.

The food parcel we sent down to London was pasta from Holland and Barratt and from a Keystore (although we were tempted to buy it from Anne Summers)

ElShalimo

Maybe you’re fortunate that you guys up there are more stoic, less irrational eg look at the response to bad weather Vs SE England

We live between Halifax and Huddersfield and the shops look like a plague of locusts have been here for 2 weeks now. This is not a liberal metro elitist area!!

Family and have friends reported similar in lots of places in the UK… Oxford, Leeds, Anglesey, Lancashire, Kent, St Alban’s. The only guys not reporting this are in Glasgow and up near Aberdeen

Maybe Scotland has better supply chain management and policy in place, combined with a less reactionary response?

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

For anyone without yeast, try knocking up a sourdough starter (google how to) and have a go at making bread that way. Very simple really, but demands more time and is a bit less forgiving than yeast baking. But since time seems to be what many have at the moment….. give it a go

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

no yeast needed for soda bread, don’t even need buttermilk, you can sour milk with vinegar or lemon juice instead

ElShalimo

@theotherjonv – we use basic live natural yoghurt from the supermarket and mix it with milk.

Add lots of seeds too for a more interesting bread.

trail_rat

Aberdeen and shire didn’t have that. Maybe folk up here can think outside the box. As I said initially it was the case but within a couple of days they were stripped bare like the rest.

I still use my local coop for staples such as milk and bread. But forget it for pasta/rice/anything in a tin / flour

muttley109

I managed to order a 16kg sack from here earlier this week.
    http://www.fwpmatthews.co.uk

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

Matthews flour is pretty good, I nearly went to work for them when the mill I worked at in Gloucester was bought out and closed.

They have been through some turmoil in the last few years as their borrowing was nearly twice their asset value. We had a head miller join our firm from them last year as he thought they might fold.
    Hopefully this upturn in trade might save them, though the profit margins in standard flour milling are stupidly low I hope that their speciality range has a higher profit margin?

ElShalimo

Stupid Q: how long does flour stay “fresh” for once opened? It does have a best before date but how long before it’s goes to a state where it’s not great?

A 1kg bag of wholemeal lasts about 2 weeks here and was thinking about getting a 16kg bag

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

TBH the term “fresh” is subjective.
    Flour usually has a shelf life of a year less so for wholemeal and coarse brown as the oils in the wheat germ goes rancid.
    Many bakeries prefer flour with a bit of age on it as its more consistent. The original firm that owned our site used to market their flour as “Bin Proved” many years ago we used to pass “Diox” gas through flour to improve the colour and artificially age the flour!

The flour will gradually dry out (if stored correctly) as the paper sack is breathable so you will find you need slightly more water in the mix to achieve the best results.

Plenty in Sainsbury in Prestwick this morning,

Don’t rule out your local convenience store, ours hasn’t really suffered at all during this recent period, I think folk attacked the supermarkets and assumed the wee shops would be bare.

Premier Icon ditch_jockey
    Subscriber

We’ve just ordered a 16kg bag from Hobbs House Bakeries – hello@hobbshousebakery.co.uk

Apparently the problem is not a lack of flour, but a lack of packaging, so if you’re happy to buy the packs intended for hotels restaurants etc, there’s plenty available.

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

ditch_jockey if your near Hobbs bakery your a lucky man 🙂

And your spot on its not lack of flour its lack of flour in the silly little sizes 😉

ElShalimo

@MrOverShoot – does your mill sell direct to the public and have online sales?

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

We had a head miller join our firm from them last year as he thought they might fold.

Heh 🙂

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

I don’t think we do, though I have an account as years ago I used to supply a friends wife with flour for her massive home baking habit 😀
    Have a look here
    https://www.4flour.co.uk/products/

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

bearnecessities
    Subscriber

We had a head miller join our firm from them last year as he thought they might fold.

Heh 🙂

I think that might be baking your thinking of 😉

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Alright pedant! Better?

Trouble at t’mill.

ransos

For anyone without yeast, try knocking up a sourdough starter (google how to) and have a go at making bread that way.

That’s what I’ve been doing. It’s a bit of a faff, but I leave it to prove in the fridge overnight which is a bit more time efficient.

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Trouble at t’mill.

I hope not as I’m on call this week till 6am Monday 😉

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

For those doing sourdough the slow cold over night prove ranos mentioned is well worth it. Bake first thing. We use a lidded cast iron oven dish which goes into the oven for 40 minutes on max before the bread goes into it. Replicates a steam oven and gives better rise.

We were low on bread flour and struggling to get any however fortunately managed to get 25kg of pizza flour. Should last a few weeks.

johndoh

In Aldi in Harrogate they had the grand total of three bags of plain flour at 9.30am and I took one of them. The person on the checkout said flour is the one thing they are still struggling to get from their supplier.

Ended up getting some from a ‘reuse low waste’ place but they were limiting to 1kg per customer and you had to spend £5 on other items.

Not much baking to be done by our girls.

Premier Icon northernsoul
    Subscriber

We know people who’ve had success buying big bags from Bako.

woffle

our local (small, independent), supermarket down in East Sussex has had flour every time I’ve been in recently. I am meant to have my regular batch of 00 arriving in the next week – though we’ll see if it is delayed/cancelled due to ‘shortages’.

Bakerybits.co.uk still has plenty of stock of flour etc.

redmex

Probably get shot down on here now but I just made a year and share scone to have with the coffee, 15 maybe 20 mins of my time, 225g proper self raising flour, 25g of sugar, 40 g of butter, half a cup of milk, wee dash o bicarb, 13 mins in the pre heated oven and some rasp jam

redmex

Tear and share f%®©✓™¶g predictive text

ElShalimo

@redmex – put kettle on, we’re all coming round for elevenses

rsl1

Have a look whether you have a zero waste shop nearby. We have two in town and both have plenty of flour as they buy in bulk as per the previous page so their supply lines are barely affected. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the prices too – I rarely have to go to a supermarket nowadays between those and a local CSA

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Those in Ipswich or close by Makro had white bread flour (16kg) and yeast on the shelves yesterday. The yeast is the Allinson dried stuff in a tin not the rapid use variant. I have an opened bag of patent white (AYLI Mr Overshoot so around 11.5% protein?) that I can let you have a kilo or three of @ 56p a generous kilo.

The weekend bakery has some good info on sourdough and other loaves for those needing some ideas.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.