Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Where to buy my light 24" Rims for kids MTB?
  • johnski15
    Free Member

Hello,

Can you tell me where you bought your light 24″ 32h rims for a kids MTB wheel build?

I’m going for disc brakes, not V’s.

Looking at:

ACE 18 @ 410g each http://www.alexrims.com/product/ace18-2/

I know Stans crests are 24″ now but are super expensive….

Any other recommendations?

Cheers,

John

nonk
    Free Member

I think you have found the best rim really
    Can’t recommend these enough on 24 build

http://www.trailcraftcycles.com/compontents/elevated-cranks

It makes life so much easier with the correct saddle to knee height thing

jkomo

Have you looked at superstar? They had some I seem to remember.

johnski15
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies….

Still can’t find where to buy the Rims??

Any one else with any clues?

Cheers

Rich_s

Same issue here, but I’m trying to get 24h rims (can see very little point in putting a little dude on 32h wheels – I’m 15 stone and ride 400g 32h wheels!).

Have been trying to get some from Alex direct, just waiting to find out if successful.

You can buy wheels from Islabike too. 55 quid posted for Creig 24 rear (24 spoke)

otsdr
    Free Member

Alienation Deviant, only available in 36h, though.

Stevet1
    Free Member
    johnski15
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies….. Top effort…

Rich_s Will you let me know if you manage to get some from ALEX my email is

johnski1518@gmail.com

The reason I’m looking for 32h is that the hubs I’m aiming to buy are Novatec D771SB & D772SB They are light as, but 32h….

Cheers,

John

BearBack
    Free Member

Deviants likely available from China
    That’s where I got my 32h 20’s from. 36 hope 20″ only in USA

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I’ll have a look in the store in the morning but think I have one 32h light 24″ rim I ordered in for a guy but he never came back for it if it’s still their it’s yours for postage think it’s double eyeleted as well

johnski15
    Free Member

Cannondaleking

Thats absolutely fantastic…Thanks for that.

John

Junkyard
    Free Member

I struggled when i was doing my kids

Occasionally cheap ones on ebay rarely light though as often DH rims/wheels

Superstar ones are good but heavy- 2kg a set iirc and the rim is pretty heavy 600 g ???

curvature
    Free Member

Just buy the Crest rims or complete wheels from Superstar. They are now doing wheels in 24″ based on Crest rims so I would assume not too heavy.

The old 24″ sets they did were based on dirt-jump style wheels so strong but heavy.

I built my son’s wheels up last year using Novatech hubs from an Ebay seller in Australia and Crest rims and Sapim spokes from my LBS. Great fun building them up together and they transformed the bike.

johnski15
    Free Member

cannondaleking….

Did you mange to find the rim?

Cheers

John

poah
    Free Member

Lewis’s wheels are crest’s with novatec 771/772 hubs, DB spokes and brass nips, weigh in at 1475g. tyres are set up tubeless with gorrila tape and stans fluid. Spend the extra cash on the crests.

triton cycles have them for £50 each as do just ride along

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/rims-c123/stans-notubes-ztr-crest-rim-p13226

http://www.justridingalong.com/ztr-crest.html

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Johnski just found it its 32h drop me an email dan@handcraftedwheels.co.uk and I’ll send you some pics see if it’s any good too you its new and eyeleted and if it’s right cover postage and it’s yours

martinhutch

What surprised me when I built a 24″ front wheel last year was that, once I’d unlaced it, the stock spesh rim (hotrock) was actually pretty light – in the region of 450g or so, I think. There were no major weight savings to be had without spending ridiculous amounts. I just relaced it back onto a disc hub.

takisawa2

Ditto what Martin just said.
    I unlaced a cheap stock wheel & the hub turned out to be a right boat anchor.
    Built back onto an old Hope XC with decent spokes saved a good chunk.
    Was the same with the rest of the bike (an old Spesh Hotrock). The frame alone was stupidly light.
    The forks were something like 7lb. ??

johnski15
    Free Member

poah – Member – Thanks for all your info…. picked up loads of good advice from your blog/website about your lads bike… I’m thinking of using a Carrera Frame with Carbon rigid forks or some light Al ones if I can find them….Just need a set of light wheels.

cannondaleking – Member – I’ll email, thanks for that, appreciate it!

martinhutch – Member – I was thinking about seeing if that would work… Basically use Novatec D771SB & D772SB Hubs and lace them to the existing rims, could be a winner!!

Cheers,

John

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy my light 24" Rims for kids MTB?’ is closed to new replies.