Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Where to buy memory these days (SD card)
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Want to get a new SD card for my new compact. Currently got a 2gb but want at leats 8gb, but would consider paying for up to 32gb depending on price.
    Do I want class 10, or does it make no difference? And where to buy from? Chances if I get it off eBay of it being not the brand it says?

Ta, Duane.

toonfan
    Free Member

Got mine off Amazon.. Do a quick search on there loads of different brands from different sellers..I think i paid about 15 quid for a 16 gig sd card.

joat

Get mine from Picstop.

CountZero

7Dayshop are the people to go to. They do 16 and 32 gig SD cards for £15-20, and any card will be fast enough for a compact, you’re not shooting five frames per second so write speed shouldn’t be too much of an issue. I’ve got a couple of their unbranded 4Gb cards, (actually unlabeled Toshiba), which I use in my D60, and had no issues.
    Just had a look, how’s this;
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=111247&r=20111007
    32Gb class ten professional card for £20.99. Or they do a 16Gb twin pack for the same price.
    Avoid eBay deals, there are lots of bogus cards, or low capacity relabelled as high capacity or high speed out there.

project
    Free Member

as above 7 day shop, really good service and they do mini sports cameras, with a 12 month guarantee, just got another one.

takisawa2

I used memorybits.co.uk & they were ok.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

+1 for 7dayshop. Great store.

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers. Are those 7day cards OK? ie compared to Transcend/SanDisk?

chakaping
    Free Member

Slight hijack – what would people recommend for my HD gopro?

Any SD card OK or is write speed an issue? Never heard of it until now, but playback has been a bit crap when using the 4gb card from my compact camera in it.

CountZero

I see no reason why not, they’re probably made by Sandisk or Toshiba anyway, and 7dayshop aren’t going to risk putting out a substandard product which actually has their name printed on it. Maybe if you’re a seasoned pro photographer who has to rely absolutely on the integrity of his storage media when out on shoots for high paying clients then you’ll want the very, very best, but as you’re shooting with a compact I wouldn’t imagine the loss of one or two photos would lead to anything more than mild annoyance.

CountZero

Chakaping, there are cards intended more for video, where a lot of info is being written quickly, so a fast write speed would be desirable. Look at 7dayshop’s range for any aimed at video rather than stills. I don’t shoot vid, so it’s never an issue for me.

nbt

just got a 32gb card (class 10) for £21 from mymemory.co.uk

chakaping
    Free Member

thanks countzero

grum
    Free Member
    momo

I use mymemory.co.uk quick delivery and a good price, I have quite a few class 10 cards from them (all 8gig, I prefer to use smaller cards and carry spares, that way losing a card won’t mean the loss of all my photos or video) work fine in my HD camcorder and my compact (which also records HD video)

nedrapier

momo, interesting tactic!

Although if you’ve got 4 8GB cards and swap them round, wouldn’t you stand more chance of losing one than a 32GB that only comes out of the camera to go in the card slot on the laptop?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy memory these days (SD card)’ is closed to new replies.