Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Where to buy m/bike helmet, and which brand??
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

As title – want to buy a new full face helmet for up to £200, where and which one to buy?

Jimbo
    Free Member

Local motocycle shop, after trying on as many as possible within your budget. Fit is even more crucial that MTB lids, yet there’s little in the way of adjustability (some lids, such as *some* Arais, have the option of different thickness cheekpads).

hot_fiat

M/Bike? You mean motorbike as your in the chat forum right?

Arai Condor or Shoei Raid II will come in at under £200 if you go for plain colours.

Shark do well in the SHARP tests but they always feel flimsy compared to the two big jap brands and there’s a bit of controversy about how the tests are assessed (they haven’t revealed the criteria which is about as unscientific as you can get).

Whatever you do, don’t buy mail via order if it’s your first one. Just like an MTB lid, some people fit one brand and not another. Shoei and Arai also have different lasts for different continents based on racial differences. Hence if you buy an Arai imported from Japan, it may not fit as well as one destined for the European market depsite being the same ‘size’.

If you can, blag yourself a clear pinlock insert to banish misting for good.

If you meant Mountain Bike, then THE, BELL or Specialized would be the way to go.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I like Shark… got an S500 for my first lid as it was the best fit I could find in my price range. It became my “spare” after 6 months as I came into some cash and decided to splash out on full new leathers and lid (Scott leathers, Shoei XR-1000 lid as it is about the best fit for me on the market).

But yep – go and try them all on within your budget – and if you have never bought such a thing before go somewhere with decent staff who will help you out 😉

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Yup, mo’cycle is what I’m after. Thanks for the thoughts – not my first helmet but a while since I last bought one. Will have a shufti in a few shops.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I bought a lovely X-Lite on clearance for £120, perfect fit and black.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Arai every time for me. Just try one on and you’ll understand.

Pigface
    Free Member

I always wear Arai’s both road and Moto x, they are just so comfortable. Shoei are pretty close. AGV just dont fit my piggy head, my snout is touching the chin bar. As has been said go and try plenty on, look for one with a washable lining, you would be amazed how manky they can get inside.

Spongebob
    Free Member

BMF website

You just missed the BMF show in Peterborough this weekend. They have loads of stands selling gear at knockdown prices. There’s another smaller show in Kent coming up soon. There may be a show nearer to where you live. Check out the BMF website.

Get one that fits and has a removable lining. £200 should get a decent helmet. Reviews will tell you which helmets are noisy etc.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at what the bmf are up to. I remember only too well just how manky linings get. At least some are removeable now!

martinxyz
    Free Member

The costs of helmets have gone up recently. i paid about 200 for a raid 2 last year and it now retails about 280. I tried on a few shoeis and arais in aberdeen and found the arai feeling the best fit.. once i tried more of the same on in edinburgh i found that the raid2 was the better fitting which confused me as i was planning the arai.my lids a bit tight but it doesnt hurt.the next size up was moving around too much so i went with the smaller size and suffered it for the first week or so.its now spot on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy m/bike helmet, and which brand??’ is closed to new replies.