Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Where to buy a telescope
  • techsmechs
    Free Member

We’re moving to a nice place in the country and MrsTM would like a telescope – nothing too flash, any recommendations and also places that give great advice.

Thanks

Cougar
    daftvader
    Free Member

that there lidl has some in atm…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    techsmechs
    Free Member

Who’d uv thunk it.

Thanks and delete thread as appropriate

colournoise

Think John Lewis are the only decent telescope suppliers.

iwmunt
    Free Member

first light optics. a dobsonian will be perfect. skywatcher heritage.

iwmunt
    Free Member

or a nice 15×70 binocular. 10x50s are good too(and cheap)

burgatedicky

colournoise – Member
    Think John Lewis are the only decent telescope suppliers.

Indeed, they allow for incredible resolution of the surface of the moon!

JulianA
    Free Member

In Focus were brilliant – price matched their own internet deals for us. We came away with a telescope, tripod and tripod carrying rucksack thingy for about the same money as we were expecting to pay for just the telescope.

Thoroughly recommended – especially as they have donated loads of money to conservation projects.

athgray
    Free Member

Ordered a skywatcher dobsonian from Wex photographic 4 days ago. Arrived today although not got it out the box yet.

chojin
    Free Member

I’ve got a skywatcher 130p with various extra lenses and a moon filter you can have for £100 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

chojin – does it have a motor drive and how much for postage to scotland?

bear-uk
    Free Member

I bought one from the local auctions (£21)
    It looked fantastic with a nice heavy tripod and adjustable bits and pieces.
    Looking at the moon was great. You could see craters within craters, but the little stars shining were just little bright dots.
    I would suggest you get one with a couple of different lenses for the magnification.
    As for mine it went back to the auction house (£28) this time.

chojin
    Free Member

No motor drive unfortunately – postage to Scotland highly unlikely! It’s far too bulky and delicate an object to post I’d say?

steveoath
    Free Member

We got the wife’s dad a Sky-Watcher Skyhawk-1145P SynScan AZ GoTo from amazon. My dad (astronomer) reckons one with the automatic “GOTO” features makes it more likely that it won’t just gather dust after initial excitement wears off.

jackthedog
    Free Member

If you have an RSPB reserve nearby, the visitors centre shops tend to have a good range of outdoorsy type scopes set up and available to have a play with.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy a telescope’ is closed to new replies.