Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Where to buy 20mm thru axle??
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

Long story short, whilst doing some hunger over work on my bike I’ve rounded out the hex key hole on my thru / pinch bolt axle on my fox 36’s

Loads of aftermarket 15mm on line, can’t find a 20mm one for love nor money and fox’s own are an eye watering price. Any ideas?

Back up option is trying to get existing knackered axle machined for larger hex, but this option is also proving awkward to find someone locally

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I can’t remember if I sent mine with my 36s when I sold the bike. I’ll have a look tomorrow when home.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

That would be great, thanks

bikerevivesheffield

Can you not drill and tap the axle to receive a reverse threaded (left hand) bolt and use that?

SirHC

Can you not drill and tap the axle to receive a reverse threaded (left hand) bolt and use that?

Or a normal bolt and glue it in place?

alanl
    Free Member

Ebay.
    I ordered a 20mm QR axle last week.£16.45, though I havent received it yet.
    I’ve just bought some Mavic wheels advertised as ‘QR’ compatible.
    Yes, the back wheel is, it came with skewer and adaptors, but the front came with nothing, it was just the 20mm through axle with no means of securing it.
    The seller said this was because there were so many permutations, that they cannot supply every one.
    Searching does bring up around 20 Mavic adaptors, of which none were suitable for 20mm axle and 100mm length.
    Ebay had a few available, not branded, but I dont think that is a problem, they are just a shaft turned down on a lathe.

nigew
    Free Member

Or a normal bolt and glue it in place?

I had to do similar with the Axle on a pair of Fox 40s!
    Is the axle hollow on 36s?
    I drilled through the rounded allen end, popped a bolt in and tightened a nylock nut on the other side, it’s been fine for 2 years!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Nothing on eBay that I can find that’s much cheaper than an original fox one unfortunately, had a look previously.

No tap & die set, but would be a neat solution. drill, bolt and my lock but could be a winner if I can get a socket extender into the axle. Would still preferred a new axle mind, save having to take a ring head spanner out riding!

The search continues!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy 20mm thru axle??’ is closed to new replies.