Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Holiday cottages in Cornwall?
  • hooja
    Free Member

Does anyone on here rent their house out at certain times as a holiday let? Or if you often rent holiday cottages in the UK, what sites do you use?
    We are advertised on both independent cottages and owners direct but not having much luck, with only 3 weeks booked this summer!
    I would post a link, so people can berate my write up or photo quality but i got for advertising it in the classifieds…oops!
    Its down in Cornwall, anyone any ideas where else to advertise it to get some more interest?
    thanks in advance

the-muffin-man

From searching a few months ago for cottages in Cornwall I’d say the main problem is people want a ruddy fortune for a weeks rent!!! (We went last half term).

We eventually found a cottage through these people…
    http://www.cornishretreats.com/

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

I’m with the muffin man, prices seem to have gone crazy there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not much help but we usually try owners direct 1st, I think that’s who we used for Cornwall last year.
    We stupidly went during school holidays, (WTF were we thinking about?)& have vowed never to go to Cornwall again. It rained so much we might as well have gone to Scotland (or India), parking the car for a short while was nigh on impossible without costing a fortune, I was hoping to do a bit fishing but couldn’t as the sea was full of bloody kids bobbing about on bodyboards, I was sick of the place before we got there as it took us about 3hours to get from Bristol to Exeter on that bastid M5!
    Not surprised you can’t rent it!! 😈

Sorry but as soon as anyone mentions Cornwall….

timber

I’ll ask my uncle, he recently added his B&B barns to some site and now has limited spare time for summer surf and kayak fishing trips.

wallop

Whereabouts in Cornwall is it?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@hooja – how much are you asking ? I think the prices of Cornish cottage rentals are astronomical, what you could be seeing is the impact of the recession combined with the dire weather. I usually rent a place in Dartmouth for the Regatta (Aug bank holiday) and this year the rental company is pushing hard with discounts for the summer season.

vinnyeh

It’s an in between size, IMO – not sure what youre charging now its finshed, but going on the price tou were suggesting when you mentionedmitreviously, it’d be expensive for one family, but with three bedrooms, not quite big enough for two families with kids without compromising on sleeping arrangements.

Also a fair drive from a lot of the better known sights. We had a week in Bude last year, and ended up doing a lot more driving than we banked on.

hooja
    Free Member

Cheers all,

Thought about dropping the price, but we are already charging £100 less per week than it has been valued and its definitely better value than others near by.
    You can pay £800 per week for a bloody yurt nearby! or £1200 for a static caravan in crappy croyde!
    Dont think location is an issue, as anyone choosing the bude area must be choosing it because they want a bit of peace and quiet and quieter beaches, not newquay style tat and crowds.

Would be interested to know who your uncle used timber, think we may have to go for a bigger company to advertise, bit late this year though.

Any website suggestions, for a late advert?
    thanks again

timber

Search for ‘old farmhouse pottery lelant’ and you’ll see who it’s listed with, think it is mostly the online booking that boosted it.

wallop

Ha, I used to live in Lelant.

timber

He used to be up Tyringham Place.
    My dads mate had the farm between the golf course and Carbis.

soobalias
    Free Member

You can pay £800 per week for a bloody yurt nearby! or £1200 for a static caravan

a week!

for the same price i can get a family of four, flights, accomodation, food and spending money, shorter journey time and guaranteed weather

i realise the price is determined by the market, if you have only three weeks booked, its too expensive.

cchris2lou

Recently went to Launceston for a week. It is a friend cottage. She used to have an agency to rent it out but the agency dropped them as they have too many on their books.

robdob
    Free Member

It was only 3/4 years ago that the prices in Cornwall were reasonable. Me and my wife used to go quite often as we could could go just before the kids summer holidays (we don’t have kids). We generally used to get somewhere nice with 2 bedrooms and a seaside location for between 300 and 400 a week. Now you’re looking at 600-700 for the same places.

I don’t know why they have rocketed so much – yes I know there was the credit crunch but surely there are people who have owned the places for years so why would it cause them a problem.

I know holidaying in the UK has become more popular so is it a case of the owners being greedy? Or have costs gone up loads?

The upshot is that we don’t go anymore. As has been said, the prices are now so much we can go elsewhere for the same price. Recently went to Pembrokeshire which is a little cheaper and that was ace.

geoffj

Recently went to Pembrokeshire which is a little cheaper and that was ace.

Nope, Pembrokeshire is RUBBISH you definitely don’t want to go there! 8)

robdob
    Free Member

No I agree, it’s rubbish 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

We’re still looking for one for the third week in August. Refuse to pay silly prices which most of them are. We’ll be hotelling it at this rate!

robdob
    Free Member

We’ve successfully got places a third off the posted prices by emailing the company or owner and asking if there are any late booking deals. Got one place for £430 instead of £700, another £315 instead of £480. Might help that there is only 2 of us so its less to clean up (mucky kids!) but maybe more that they are glad to get some money rather than nothing. Always polite and don’t be demanding but doesn’t hurt to ask.

northernmatt

Last cottage we went to we booked direct after trawling through google. Don’t know if that an option open to you. I’ve used owners direct when booking villas abroad but not for any UK places.

jamestreg
    Free Member

Try ‘helpfulholidays’ in Chagford Devon we are Cornish & live in Cornwall and used to rent one through them. They were proper job a few years ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Holiday cottages in Cornwall?’ is closed to new replies.