• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by pondo.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Where there’s muck there’s brass
  • Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

£210m in this case.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55658942

Finding a hard drive that has been buried in landfill for 8 years isn’t going to be easy.

Premier Icon martinhutch

Wait until his ‘investors’ find out he was bullshitting all along, and the hard drive in question contains a ripped Boyzone CD, his COD save games, and 427 funny pictures of cats.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

Depends on which Boyzone CD.

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

Sick as a parrot. He’s never going to be able to forget about that. And the council have blatantly got a team on the hunt.

Premier Icon dirtyrider
    Free Member

Finding a hard drive that has been buried in landfill for 8 years isn’t going to be easy.

you say that, hover its not just a case of dumping it, its all documented, they will sort of know where stuff from around that date is, same with that lad they thought climbed in a bin after a night out

happened with a load of Atari games as well, the documentary is a good watch, they were there for 21 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

Premier Icon Houns

A big search team couldn’t find a human body in a landfill site not too long (comparatively) after he went missing, there’s no chance they could find a hard drive some 8 years later

Premier Icon dirkpitt74

How strange, we watched the episode of Big Bang last night where they were looking for their HDD with Bit Coin on it lol

Premier Icon Oggles
    Free Member

Is this what they call Bitcoin mining?

Premier Icon PJay
    Free Member

But assuming he finds it, does he still know his password?

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

My dad used to oversee landfill sites for Fife council. They’ve found wedding rings after they’ve gone missing.*

I’ve also worked on design and monitored a few. As above it’s all documented. Regularly surveyed so you know roughly where and how deep it will be. You know the order the lorries came in and you know the routes of each lorry. You find dates on lot’s of things good practice is to cover each day with netting or earth to prevent birds and the wind wreaking havoc. Once you get close to the date you look at the addresses on the envelopes and you work forwards or backwards from there. They are built up slot like mining tips with long fingers fanning out with each lorry load.

I’m not saying it would definitely work but it’s feasible. But it would be a bloody nightmare especially if it’s deep. And once you start extracting waste you aren’t allowed to just chuck it back in, it may get treated as waste again. Tax on waste was about 80quid a tonne ten years ago alongside the costs and practicallities and after all those years if it all has to be reburied it’s unlikely to be worth it for not finding it.

*After a few days.

Premier Icon zilog6128

It’s plausible of course, but then again he might just enjoy getting his face in the paper every couple of years when he rolls the story out again 😃 Not like anyone is going to prove it’s not true! You’d have thought he’d have made more of an effort though when he first realised and they’d only been buried a few months, still worth £4m at that point apparently.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

Ah. Is his user name Mitty_W?

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

My dad used to oversee landfill sites for Fife council. They’ve found wedding rings after they’ve gone missing.*

I’ve also worked on design and monitored a few. As above it’s all documented. Regularly surveyed so you know roughly where and how deep it will be. You know the order the lorries came in and you know the routes of each lorry. You find dates on lot’s of things good practice is to cover each day with netting or earth to prevent birds and the wind wreaking havoc. Once you get close to the date you look at the addresses on the envelopes and you work forwards or backwards from there. They are built up slot like mining tips with long fingers fanning out with each lorry load.

I’m not saying it would definitely work but it’s feasible. But it would be a bloody nightmare especially if it’s deep. And once you start extracting waste you aren’t allowed to just chuck it back in, it may get treated as waste again. Tax on waste was about 80quid a tonne ten years ago alongside the costs and practicallities and after all those years if it all has to be reburied it’s unlikely to be worth it for not finding it.

*After a few days.

Fascinating insight. How big/deep are these sites?

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Fascinating insight. How big/deep are these sites?

Depends on the site.

I’ve stood at the bottom of a cell under construction which was a twenty metre hole in the ground. With the neighbouring cell probably 15/20m above the ground level.

Honestly they’re horrible rank places and it’s depressing seeing that much waste.

Premier Icon fasthaggis

Haw man,go easy on Fife 😉

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Haw man,go easy on Fife 😉

ha, I’m fife for life mate

Premier Icon dannybgoode

That was in the news a while ago. I bet this man wishes he could remember his dammed password though…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55645408

Premier Icon timbog160

Thing is if he’s anything like me the more I think about it the harder it is to remember. He needs to just forget about it and it will come to him at 3am one night!😀

Premier Icon mrhoppy

They won’t have vehicle data after that much time. But they would know roughly where it is. Still not going to be allowed to excavate historic cells for a hard drive no matter how valuable it might be.

And it’s not a pleasant environment so it’s likely to be damaged beyond recovery.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

And it’s not a pleasant environment so it’s likely to be damaged beyond recovery.

It’s a good point although I don’t we’re talking about dusting it off and chucking it in an old laptop. All they need are the platters, as toxic as leachate can be I’m fairly sure they’d survive. Unless a sheep’s foot scored a direct hit.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Still not going to be allowed to excavate historic cells for a hard drive no matter how valuable it might be.

I know of one site that excavated a cell for industrial levels of plastic sheeting still on roles to be recycled. Not sure how much they profited when SEPA pointed out the rest had to be treated as new waste rather than just lobbing it back in a dilute and disperse sandy hole.

Premier Icon pondo

You’d have thought he’d have made more of an effort though when he first realised and they’d only been buried a few months, still worth £4m at that point apparently.

Thought it sounded a familiar story – same chap?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.