Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Where should I stick my GoPro?
  • Premier Icon sdadswell001
    Subscriber

Just bought a GP. Just to be clear, I don’t want to be Danny Macaskill – just want to make a few videos for (boring) memories from long cross-country rides to watch back when I’m too old or sore to ride a bike anymore (which could be by next year at the current rate).

Since I’ve gone over my budget already I don’t want to spend too much more on mounts that aren’t any use. Big question therefore for you guys is where is best position to mount the GP? Bars (on separate mount, or on combined mount with Garmin), chesty, helmet, other place?

Do you find the voice control works well enough to position it out of sight or do I need to keep it where I can see the screen. Or do you find you canjust set it up and let it record. Just looking to find out what you know works well already . TIA

Short bursts controlled by voice, don’t wear on your helmet; Michael Schumaker did that.

bear-uk

Chest mount works well. I also sometimes fit mine on the chin piece of a full face helmet.
    I also use a power pack and voice control works ok just listen out for the on\off beeps as you will end up pressing buttons.

Premier Icon sdadswell001
    Subscriber

Sounds like voice works reliably well.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I suspect you’ll be sticking it in the drawer at home like everyone else in a week or two.

So wish I’d bought a knock off chinese one – they do just as good a job (at cluttering up the cable and random electronic crap drawer) as the real ones at about a 10th of the price.

I’m not helping am I?

Merlin cycles sell these quick release camera mounts so you can move the camera easily.

Camera mounts

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Somewhere solid like the frame. So not a chest strap or bar mount. They’ve been done to death anyway.

And if you need to use links to get the angle right, fold them back on themselves so the camera remains as close to the mount as possible.

Blacktack, some aluminium plate you can bend and gorilla tape if you want to get creative.

Subscriber

Cheers for the useful suggestions. The Chinese ones are really cheap, aren’t they.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

I found a really useful accessory that no one makes is a bit of 1/4″ threaded bar (i.e. the thread off a camera tripod), file one end to a bit of a point and put the other in a go-pro tripod adapter.

Great for just quickly jabbing in the ground/trail for some nice low angle shots.

Premier Icon boardmanfs18
    Subscriber

I mounted a GoPro session on one of the k-edge computer mount/Gopro mount, you basically pick up every noise going through the frame ! Might be better with a plastic mount though.

CraigW

I found a really useful accessory that no one makes is a bit of 1/4″ threaded bar (i.e. the thread off a camera tripod), file one end to a bit of a point and put the other in a go-pro tripod adapter.

You can buy ground spikes, for trail cameras etc. Available in a variety of sizes. So could screw on a GoPro adapter.
    eg https://wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/collections/ground-spikes-accessories/products/e1a-single-short-ground-spike

Premier Icon timmys
    Subscriber

Helmet mount footage looks crap unless you are riding the rampage course.

Chest mount is much better. Make sure you mount the camera upside down so that it is not pointing straight down at the ground when you are riding – 90% of people seem to not manage this.

Premier Icon tetrode
    Subscriber

If you do chest mount it, get the Stuntman chest harness. Way better than the official GoPro one and with my Hero 7 and hypersmooth the footage is great. With the official GoPro chest harness I still got shaky footage.

Premier Icon nwmlarge
    Subscriber

Stuntman chest mount with all the mounts removed and a tripod mount with a short bolt in it work the best, lowest profile and no clicking from the mount.

Otherwise I also like the side of helmet mount with the ball joint.

Most of the time I have it on a tripod or tree as I fly past it mid air

Premier Icon jekkyl
    Subscriber

Up your arse? 😄

Subscriber

I was just waiting for that suggestion.

bear-uk

Thats a bum idea

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

The best place I ever stuck my GoPro was on a mate’s bike. He’s a lot better rider than me and I got lots of shots of me as he kept overtaking..

Are these 30 quid chinese accessory kits you see on amazon any good?

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

I bout a £10 kit to see which mounts I actually used and then replaced the cheap ones with better in some cases.

I have found that mounting it on any part of the bike amplifies every little noise going and if you put it on the bars then it goes all over the place if you are climbing and pulling on the bars . Facing rearward mounted on the seatpost doesn’t get the same issues . On a chest harness is good but works better with the camera upside down otherwiwe you struggle to get the camera pointing high enough if you are riding anything fairly steep because your body position changes and the camera ends up pointing too low down . Also you can pick up various noises from the mount itself rubbing on clothing or camelbak straps . Mounted on your helmet gets rid of a lot of the problems but as it’s higher up is vulnerable to damage in a crash and can damage you as well if you land on your head . Also you can’t view what is going on with the camera unless you look at it through a phone ap . Being higher up also doesn’t give the same impression of speed as mounting it lower down .Also on the helmet you don’t get the various rubbing noises that you can get with the other mounting positions . The noise issues , of course are irrelevant if you are laying a sound track over your video .

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

Bit of a hijack…

I’ve foolishly signed up to an event that is (probably) way above my pay grade in a moment of rash stupidity.

I’d quite like my wife to know I was enjoying myself right to the last and to think I did more than just ride inexorably towards a pixelated green blur.

So, what go-pro alike for capturing my impending demise?

Obviously it’ll only get used once which is like most of these things but I’m aware of the fact in advance so would like the price to reflect that.

Sound quality isn’t relevant, she’s never wanted to listen to me before so I don’t imagine my post card from beyond the grave will be different beyond the fact she can actually mute it.

In case I do survive I might even use it to prove to my mates I didn’t just go to a pub without them for a few days so:

It would be useful to be able to easily edit or the walking in order to cut the 4 days down to a few minutes of fire road.

How reasonable a facsimile of riding would I achieve by just walking with a pair of handlebars held in front of me then speeding up the footage?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.