Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Where is this? Is it in the peak district???
  • Jeez mate, dry your eyes. Do you have shares in Strava?

Yeah, I get it, there have always been dicks about, just now there’s some dicks that use Strava.

Maybe I should have said, some people that sometimes use Strava, sometimes suck bawls, sometimes?

Or should I just take your approach and blindly proclaim that there is no correlation between the two, ever?

hora
    Free Member

I honestly dont get Strava. I ride trails to ride. Racing against possibly fictious strangers who may be cheating?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So you keep saying Hora, it’s also a training log which you can use to evaluate your progress against yourself and others, I know half of the people on leaderboards round here and it’s great to get a sense of perspective on some of the riding and the speeds people are carrying. I was able to see how I was doing against the locals and world champions on some stuff I’ve ridden.

For most people it’s got nothing to do with racing strangers it’s mostly something people like to shout about when they want to blame something.

Sorry to not join in the gate closing witch hunt.

hora
    Free Member

Training for what?

Finishing in the top 30+ of a amateur race?

If you aren’t even on the same planet as people who may podium I really don’t see the point of getting it down to metrics of a second here and there. ‘I’m fitter now than I have ever been’ is another – surely be content in knowing this.

I honestly don’t get people who train hard for a race knowing that they’ll never be on that podium. If you do it to be part of something, the enjoyment, then just ride alot and go and enjoy.

thepodge
    Free Member

Personal goals and personal enjoyment are two different things

Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it’s wrong

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having entered a few multi day races training was kind of essential to avoid hating the entire experience. Seeing if I was making progress was important and trying to work out how my body was going to react and how hard I could push was part of the training. Not strictly an amateur race with a couple of Olympians and most of the top XC racers in Oz over for it.

The missus uses it a fair bit for the same reasons, last race she did she won her category.

I’m doing another 4 day one later this year with 150km of racing over 7 stages covering hill climbs, sprint laps, night rides and 45km stages. I will be training so that I can give it a good shot, enjoy it and maybe sneak in the top half of the field.

Again not amateur but with some training I could end up near the good end of my category as this year they are putting in a separate elite category.

It does seem to be a STW thing to not only not get what and why other people do things but then to try and look down on them for not conforming.

Pook

Gate should still be shut though 😉

hora
    Free Member

Why is it looking down on someone?

If you have no chance of hitting the podium, to me cycling should default to getting out there, destressing and being in the woods and forests.

BadlyWiredDog

If you have no chance of hitting the podium, to me cycling should default to getting out there, destressing and being in the woods and forests.

Maybe cycling can be different things to different people? As can Strava for that matter.

hora
    Free Member

True, so what happens if I, a walker or a childs face gets in your way whilst you are improving your personal best?

BadlyWiredDog

True, so what happens if I, a walker or a childs face gets in your way whilst you are improving your personal best?

Personally I would slow down to avoid alarming any of the above. Sheep too. And real big rocks. Why are you assuming that everyone using Strava is a mindless cretin? I use it mostly to see what friends all over the country are riding, I’m not too fussed about how fast I go, though I do like to know how far, roughly.

Obviously that’s just me, but as numerous people have said before, there were people who rode like idiots before Strava existed, blaming an app for human stupidity is just stupid… 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I had a mate at uni – still good friends today – who loved an argument, as did I. We spent/wasted hours arguing about stuff just for the sport of it rather than because we strongly believed in it one way or another. I like to think we learnt a lot off each other as a result.

Some people on here remind me of him.

BadlyWiredDog

Some people on here remind me of him.

Is he on Strava?

hora
    Free Member

Obviously that’s just me, but as numerous people have said before, there were people who rode like idiots before Strava existed, blaming an app for human stupidity is just stupid…

True.

stilltortoise I fundamentally disagree with you on every level on every given day.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Lol

hora
    Free Member

When you say used to argue with your mate- was it like the bickering that couples do or just enthusiastic-debating?

The former would grind me down- I’ve known people like that.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Tell you what…when ‘the farmers’ take proper care of their hedgerows, ditches and the mud slurry that accumulates outside their farms, I’ll start closing the gates.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Definitely (over) enthusiastic debating.

thepodge
    Free Member

YEAH! Stick it to the man with a massive generalization and zero commitment to be a better person… That’ll get the desired results

hora
    Free Member

Definitely (over) enthusiastic debating.

Best place for debating and arguing is a very hot sauna. Arguments soon peeter out 😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Are you trying to set up a date with me?!? 😆

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Why are you assuming that everyone using Strava is a mindless cretin? I

It’s the standard STW way. Assume everyone who uses Strava is a **** racing their way down hills into children’s faces (despite there being a large stw Strava group), assume everyone who watches Top Gear is an idiot and everyone who likes football (sorry, wendyball) is a pleb and probably a thug too.

hora
    Free Member

No, everyone who watches Topgear is disillusioned as there are no other motoring programmes on normal tv… only on Sky where Mike Brewer buys a car – throws shedloads of labour at it and then sells it for £300 in his pocket (but not adding on labour costs..). 😆

martinhutch

Hora, you always take the discussion in wonderfully unexpected directions.

I now have the phrase ‘peeter out in a sauna’ annoying my brain.

hora
    Free Member

Blessed with a short attention span..

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

YEAH! Stick it to the man with a massive generalization and zero commitment to be a better person… That’ll get the desired results

Amen, brother Podge!

Pook

I blame podge

benpinnick

happy memories of a friends stag do in Sheff that involved a trip out to the dark peak. Hired some awful bikes from Ladybower and absolutely hammered them down that trail. Fair to say the rest of the crew who werent really MTBers were a long way back. I discovered the interesting phenomenon which is that undamped suspension simply moves the rock further on down the trail… meaning you get the kick back when you dont expect it!

thepodge
    Free Member

Pook – I blame podge

You’d be better off spending your time replacing that carpet & wood panelling.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mikesmith – you need to be aware that fat people very rarely train for anything other than the fray bentos/pukka pie championships. Talking to hora about training is a waist of time (that is a pun!!)

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Where is this? Is it in the peak district???’ is closed to new replies.