Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Where is the best place to buy an old steel road frame to use as a commuter?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Looking for something cheap as chips to turn into a single speed commuter. Nothing flash, something like a cheapo old raleigh racer, although ideally with slotted drop outs.

Usual suspects like ebay seem ridiculously overpriced, and it’s either the entire bike or some expensive steel retro frame. Gum tree also drawn a blank.

There must be hundreds of these frames thrown out regularly..I’ve binned a few in the past myself. Is it a case of taking myself off to rummage around the local dump, or is there anywhere better to look without wading through a mountain of garbage?

Ta

matt_outandabout

Do you have a local recykabike type place?

We have had two paper round / pub bikes from them – one was £75 one was £125, both fully serviced, new cables, pads and tyres…

sarawak
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pearson single speed looking for a good home. Excellent condition. £200 complete.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, a bike recycling centre is the best bet. There’s a good one in Wigan if you’re North-West.

Bregante

Sarawak? What size is the Pearson? Is it a Touche?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ve got just about an entire Pug UO8 on flea Bay, I had it on here as postage only. It does look like shit and is covered in French standard components but is solid. 60cm frame though and 27.25 wheels though I reckon 700C would fit, can check if you’re interested (I’m also selling a Kore singlespeed wheelset).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Try the bike station, usually a lot of cheap sh frames in.

takisawa2

Facebook classifieds…

Trekster

local auction/sale room?

welshfarmer

I have an old Raleigh or BSA tour de france hanging my shed. Collect it and it’s yours. I’m just under 6 foot and I had it off a mate who is 2 inches smaller than me
    Located se Wales

kaiser
    Free Member

what size are you after ?
    I’ve a very old claude butler frame and an orbit harrier ( columbus nivachrome?) both are large frames. mail in profile if interested

thepurist

How old? Got a Viscount Indy 500 taking up space in my garage.

butcher

We have had two paper round / pub bikes from them – one was £75 one was £125, both fully serviced, new cables, pads and tyres…

That’s a lot for a paper-round/pub/shopping style bike. Granted, serviced yes, and that’s a great value to some people.

However, in line with the OPs question, I’ve had the same difficulty searching for cheap used stuff, and I suspect a lot of it just ends up in the tip. The tip used to sell them around here but I don’t think they’re allowed to do that any more.

I’ve bought new, unused frames on eBay for the same price most battered secondhand stuff goes for.

Edit: I’ve actually got a Carrera Subway singlespeed frame in large (I think) stashed away if it’s of any interest. 700c, slot dropout. No fork though.

nedrapier

My in-laws have a couple of old peugeots in the shed. Nothing special – Hi Ten steel I think.

Not sure if the parts will be up to much, but if you’re after frame and forks, anything that does work will be a bonus.

They’re in Worcestershire, they’d probably be happy to just have the space back. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll ask.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Gave the bike station a call but not alot in stock.

My in-laws have a couple of old peugeots in the shed. Nothing special – Hi Ten steel I think.

I’m based in Scotland and need a medium or small, but if anyone has anything they want rid of that fits the bill I’d happily pay for postage

Ta

sarawak
    Free Member

Bregante…the Pearson is large. Yes it is a touch.

Bregante

Just replied to your pm. Ta

redstripe
    Free Member

If down south new forest bike project has lots of stuff like this going cheap usually

bedmaker

If you’re in the north of Scotland OP then Blythswood care in Evanton often have loads.
    They can’t officially sell most of them nowadays due to pathetic liability stuff, but I know a man…

joshvegas
    Free Member

“racer bike” or “<less common bike brand (dawes)> bike”

Then play hunt the little reynolds sticker.

Are you looking for a road bike type thing? I have an old van tuyl admittedly its alloy and semi horizontal drop outs that JUST allow enough tensioning and a steel fork you can have if you are betwixt peebles and dundee. Its columbus tubing of some sort.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m based in Scotland and need a medium or small,

If it helps I also have this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233083406051?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Welcome to it gratis, can leave the headset on. Have a few bits I can fling in like post, clamp, stem and such. It’s alu and has no rear brake eye but I don’t think it would kill it to drill it (theres a mudguard eye on there already). Have an old set of Tektro calipers as well. Most of it was either going to languish in the spares box or get kicked up to the Bike Station.

Looks like the wheels are selling but there’s a set of Bontrager GXP cranks going cheap as well, can leave the 39T ring if you wanted it.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Squirel king, will that bike take a 700mm wheelset? And a rear brake?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yup, 700C.

Rear brake doesn’t seem to exist nor do any mounts, I’m seriously stumped by this one as it’s not the right spec to suggest that’s how it originally came. The stays are smooth though so if someone has ground them off they did a good job. I can have a closer look tomorrow and see if I’ve missed something but I don’t think I have.

It would appear that A2Z adaptors still exist :/

tpbiker
    Free Member

Is it a track frame you reckon?

Josh, what’s the deal with the van tyul? I’m local to that area so may be interested if it’s a 21 inch or smaller and going for not alot. Not bothered on condition, it’s going to turned into a hack bike for commuting so as long as it’s the right size and has a threaded bb30 I’d be interested.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Well it has a derailleur mount so I’m guessing not. Which is what’s confusing me.

Bez

The brake bosses on the fork look far too low for 700c, no?

Looks to me like an MTB frame. There’s way more chainstay clearance than would be required for a road tyre, and other features like sloping top tube, seatpost extension, oversize tubing etc would also be unusual on a road bike.

No idea why it wouldn’t have rear bosses, though. Ground off or a custom build? Also slightly strange: mudguard eyelets on the fork and the chainstay bridge, and rack bosses at the top of the seatstays, but no eyelets at all on the rear dropouts. Without knowing its provenance I’d be inclined to think this is an old MTB that someone’s hacked and repainted.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Okay I’ve had another look, nothing obvious in the way of a stealth mount.

HOWEVER

I was wrong and it is in fact steel, that may open up options on an A2Z disc mount, front forks are 410mm A2C and the ones that may be original are 390mm, both built for 29″ with V brakes.

I’m going to take some pics and see if the hive mind can offer anything.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Where is the best place to buy an old steel road frame to use as a commuter?’ is closed to new replies.