Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Where in the UK?
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

The wife and I are thinking of moving. She wants to live by the coast, I want live in the mountains.

Any suggestions on uk towns to provide

Near coast
    Near mountains (or at least good trails)
    Good Job opportunities
    Good education.

Caher

Bristol.

maccruiskeen

Glasgow or Edinburgh or Inverness or Aberdeen or Dundee 🙂

trailwagger
    Free Member

Oh, and one more… reasonable house prices…

shouldn’t be too hard

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ferguslie Park or Wester Hailes

maccruiskeen

Saltcoats

IdleJon

Swansea.

Near coast. (On it, in fact.)
    Near mountains.
    Some of the best riding in the country surrounds it, and there are good MTB trails literally minutes from the centre.
    Cheap housing compared to the rest of the country.
    Few job opportunities.
    Education is, ummmmm, I’m trying to be polite here, variable.

It’s lush! 😆

trailwagger
    Free Member

Salcoates!! sounds delightful

“Eleven months ago I moved to a small seaside town in Ayrshire to be closer to work. Unfortunately, relocating to Saltcoats turned out to be the worst move of my life.
    The first thing to hit me was the smell of raw sewage. That, I convinced myself, I could live with. However this was the least of my problems as I later discovered.

I contacted an old friend, who lives in Saltcoats, and arranged to go out for a drink later that evening, thinking it would be a good opportunity to visit the local bars and meet some new friends. Later that night as I left my new home, for the two minute walk to the local Weatherspoons pub round the corner, I encountered a group of the local chavs, or neds as they are known in Ayrshire. At first I wondered if they were speaking to me, “Ho you ya f*kin’ daftie”, I looked around, hoping there was someone standing behind me. Worse luck, the troglodyte with the Burberry cap and knuckles dragging on the ground was speaking to me. “Geez a fag”, the gormless idiot spat, “ I’m sorry, I don’t smoke”, I replied, trying to give him the best apologetic look I could muster. This, however was not a satisfactory response for the troglodyte, “Ya prick!”, he grunted. As I turned to walk away, hoping they would leave me alone now, I received a torrent of abuse followed by a bottle which, although it didn’t hit me, I’m pretty sure was intended to do me some damage.
    Upon arriving at the arranged meeting place I recounted my experience to my friend, “Aye, don’t worry about it mate, this place is full of neds you’ll get a lot more of that”. I hoped he was wrong, but unfortunately for me, he wasn’t. As we left to visit another pub we passed another group of chavs , and received comments like, “Ya couple of fannys”, and, “Dafties”. I tried to ignore them, where my friend hardly seemed to notice. In the course of the rest of the evening, I saw five fights in three bars, and encountered more knuckle dragging chavs with limited vocabularies. Needless to say, I don’t go out in Saltcoats very often anymore.”

oldtennisshoes

Glasgae

scotroutes

Greenock

hodgynd
    Free Member

Alnwick Northumberland ..very near the stunning Northumberland coast and half an hour from being in the heart of the Cheviots not mountains ..but big grassy hills with some fantastic trails
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-145362/Welcome-best-place-live-Britain.html
    My apologies with regard to the Daily Mail link as I hadn’t realised the STW stance ..for the record I’m not a reader of that newspaper ..its just the first link I came to !

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Near coast
    Good job opportunities
    Good education.
    Reasonable house prices

Not sure how possible that list is going to be in the UK but maybe South Wales. Swansea for work, Brecons for Mountains,loads of coastline, schools no idea but there must be some good ‘uns and fair mix of house prices.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Swansea.
    Near coast. (On it, in fact.)
    Near mountains.
    Some of the best riding in the country surrounds it, and there are good MTB trails literally minutes from the centre.
    Cheap housing compared to the rest of the country.
    Few job opportunities.
    Education is, ummmmm, I’m trying to be polite here, variable.
    It’s lush!

Cardiff has cropped up in the conversation more than once and is probably favourite right now.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Alnwick Northumberland ..very near the stunning Northumberland coast and half an hour from being in the heart of the Cheviots not mountains ..but big grassy hills with some fantastic trails
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-145362/Welcome-best-place-live-Britain.html

Unless that is some sort of tech wizardry and the joke is on me….. then I am surprised to say the STW are telling us whats good or bad to read.

No Daily Mail
    I’m sorry but we don’t allow direct links to the Daily Mail on our website as we find it an abhorrent publication.
    If you really feel the need to follow that link through then please click the link below.
    If you still want to visit the Daily Mail website your can use this link:
    The above link has a nofollow attribute applied.

maccruiskeen

Salcoates!! sounds delightful

Well, you didn’t include ‘safe’ on your list. 🙂

Anway… Invergordon

nickjb
    Free Member

Another vote for South Wales. Cardiff is a great city that punches well above its weight. Plenty of good biking options, OK not proper mountains at that end of Wales but pretty good. Not the most epic bit of coastline immediately surrounding but a short hop to some great bits. Basically a good compromise location with plenty nearby and a cosmopolitan city. Surrounding towns and villages have very reasonable property prices and Cardiff itself isn’t too bad.

scotroutes

Inverness

IdleJon

Another vote for South Wales. Cardiff is a great city that punches well above its weight. Plenty of good biking options, OK not proper mountains at that end of Wales but pretty good. Not the most epic bit of coastline immediately surrounding but a short hop to some great bits. Basically a good compromise location with plenty nearby and a cosmopolitan city. Surrounding towns and villages have very reasonable property prices and Cardiff itself isn’t too bad.

If you want better jobs, a glitzier city, better night life and all that, then Cardiff is the answer.

If you want easy access to the hills and mountains, and one of the best coastlines in the world while sacrificing the above, then Swansea.

What more needs to be said of the city that spawned Harry Secombe, Bonny Tyler and Catherine Zeta Jones? 😆

fasthaggis

Dundee FTW 😀

lunge

Lancaster?

tomd
    Free Member

What type of jobs do you want?

I’m a relative newcomer to Teesside. Good trails, some nice towns, you can live on the edge of moors, good surf beach, good schools, cheap houses. The job situation is somewhere between really good and diabolical depending on what industry you work in.

trailwagger
    Free Member

What type of jobs do you want?
    I’m a relative newcomer to Teesside. Good trails, some nice towns, you can live on the edge of moors, good surf beach, good schools, cheap houses. The job situation is somewhere between really good and diabolical depending on what industry you work in.

IT,
    and
    Child Welfare (preferably in an educational setting)

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Ulverston?

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’ve always fantasised about settling in the llyn peninsula (abersoch) as you have Snowdonia as a backdrop but also some amazing beaches. I don’t think it’s a job hot spot though unless you’re doing a holiday let 🙂

allfankledup

Ardrossan.

Way nicer than Saltcoats. Handy for Saltcoats.

I’d probably point folks towards Troon though…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

good surf beach,

Is that Saltburn? Cos to me that’s the equivalent of a trail centre.
    The surf dudes turn up in their fancy T5’s with a couple of surfboards on the roof, they go into the (freezing) North Sea, bob around on the board waiting for a wave (they get loads from the anglers on the pier) Then when a wave comes along they stand on the board then fall in. Then after a bit they go home.

rene59
    Free Member

The wife and I are thinking of moving. She wants to live by the coast, I want live in the mountains.

Any suggestions on uk towns to provide

Near coast
    Good Job opportunities
    Good education. I’d take a look at Dunoon. On the coast with mountains a plenty behind you. Short ferry away from transport links to Glasgow (Motorway and Railway). Excellent biking from your door, hiking, boating all the good outdoors stuff. House prices are reasonable.

tcomc1000
    Free Member

I lived in troon for a year and a half and i loved it.
    It is very much road biking heaven though with the Ayrshire Alps on the doorstep.
    The whisky shop is run by a friend who does a very good lock in:)
    Mountain biking trails require a car journey though, not a lot on the doorstep

plyphon
    Free Member

Milton Keynes

maccruiskeen

The whisky shop is run by a friend who does a very good lock in:)

He’ll love you for that little bit of publicity. Will he still consider you a friend after he loses his license? 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Arran

Its basically a mountain in the sea.

tcomc1000
    Free Member

Did i say lock in, what i meant was a by the book whisky tasting event:)!

whitestone
    Free Member

I was going to suggest Ulverston but having moved away from the area many years ago I don’t know what the job situation is like there now. If that’s too rural for you then maybe Lancaster, likely to be a bit cheaper house price wise as well.

superfli
    Free Member

Exeter? Dartmoor and Exmoor have some excellent riding. Beaches are great. I suspect education is good as Uni used to be very good. Large City should have a good variety of job opportunities. House prices will be cheaper than where I live!

molgrips
    Free Member

The IT development jobs in Cardiff are not as high-status as London or even Edinburgh/Glasgow but there are definitely more coming up.

Plus points for Cardiff, for me:

– Lots of amenities, more than you would expect for its size because you get the Welsh National this and that all the time.
    – Good riding from the door
    – The rest of Wales if you want to drive to epic rides
    – Not too far from the SE (handy for my line of work) – Swansea, whilst having better countryside is an extra hour from London
    – By chance there are lots of nice suburbs within walking distance or a short bus/bike ride of the city centre, but with their own community centres/local high streets. This is brilliant, and the houses are lovely and not too expensive either. Only downer is that you only get on-street parking in these places.

Exeter’s also pretty nice btw – however it’s not that big so IT jobs might be harder to find depending on what you’re into.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Ardrossan?..the only thing it’s got going for it is the ferry to Arran ..
    Bit of a dump from what I’ve seen ..sorry !

P-Jay
    Free Member

trailwagger – Member

Cardiff has cropped up in the conversation more than once and is probably favourite right now.

trailwagger – Member

Oh, and one more… reasonable house prices…

What’s ‘reasonable’ to you?

allfankledup

@Hodgynd – I don’t live there – but near it

As a place, it’s picking up all of the time, some nice houses kicking about for not a lot of cash, easy commute via train into Glasgow (less than an hour, and around £13 a day for fare). Access to a decent secondary school, nice rugby and a strong athletics club..

The road to most ferries tends to be pretty grim, it’s not the indicator of what the whole area is like.

Overall – there are a lot of comments on this thread from people suggesting places within 20miles radius though…

MrSmith
    Free Member

a glitzier city, better night life and all that, then Cardiff is the answer.

😆 😆 😆

“Glitzy” aka fur coat and no knickers.

IdleJon

“Glitzy” aka fur coat and no knickers.

When the local competition is Swansea and Newport it’s glitzy. Believe me. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Where in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.