Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Where do you holiday in the UK?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Looking at going away in Aug for a week with friends.

They may be set on Northumberland (another current thread!) but me and the good lady have been relatively recently so less enthused about going there again so soon. Can’t decide on an alternative though…camping (or pads) likely – thought of Pembrokeshire, N Wales, NY Moors, Forest of Dean, New Forest….where else can I suggest for our holibobs meeting tomorrow night folks? Travelling from East Mids and they’ll be dragging a caravan with them so places involving mega miles less likely.

tomhoward

Scotland.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wishaw.

jekkyl

Devon or Cornwall of course, duhhh

zilog6128

Just got back from a week in Pembrokeshire. Was awesome. Like Cornwall but waaaaaay better.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wishaw.

Bloody tourists 😁

YoKaiser
    Free Member
    trademark
    Free Member

Scotland.

el_boufador

Went to Devon last year, round lynmouth. Great place. Very quiet really – I think people just drive past to Cornwall. I thought it kicked the crap out of Cornwall! Also north norfolk is lovely, weather is fairly predictable over there, nice beaches and less flat than you might think, even some decent mtb about (round sheringham).

North Wales coast is also good – harlech area. Fantastic beaches, weather a bit unpredictable though. Loads to do

rascal
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire does look bloody lovely I have to say. Good for biking too I believe. Beaches look amazing.

Went through it once to get to Ireland and to Tenby a few times – crazy when I lived in South Wales for the first 21 years of my life. I’ll be trying to convince our friends for a trip back to that corner of the Fatherland 😉 Zilog – where did you go?

BigJohn

The Glamorgan Coast from Cardiff to Porthcawl has some surprisingly lovely spots.   We go there a lot.

piha
    Free Member

Isle of Purbeck and the Jurassic coast. Easy access from S.E England and a plethora of things to do. Accommodation ranges from basic camping to large country houses.

mogrim

London, duh.

piemonster

Definitely Pembrokeshire!

Gorgeous place 😀

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Northern Ireland?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Abergavenny, Dorset (also live there) Devon, Fife, Perthshire.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ecclefechan

zilog6128

Went through it once to get to Ireland and to Tenby a few times – crazy when I lived in South Wales for the first 21 years of my life. I’ll be trying to convince our friends for a trip back to that corner of the Fatherland  Zilog – where did you go?

Stayed on a caravan park near Narberth that had a few secluded “glamping” (basically a wooden cabin thing, no actual camping involved!) units at the back with awesome views & private hot tubs! Was a case of just randomly picking somewhere but turned out to be a decent location as it’s reasonably central and nowhere else in Pembrokeshire is more than a 30-40 min drive away max. Plus it was really nice!

Took bikes but didn’t end up doing that much cycling. Not sure it’s that great for MTB – had a nice but non tech ride in the Preseli Hills and rode the only (very short!) section of the coastal path that’s a bridleway. Lots of nice road/gravel riding around the country lanes etc. There is a NCR that runs all the way through Pembrokeshire.

Loads to do though – great walking, beaches (loads of deserted ones as a lot of them are inaccessible by car), decent pubs/beer/restaurants if you know where they are. Day trip to Skomer was a highlight as there are about 30k puffins on the island at the moment!

Saundersfoot & Tenby are nice (we walked between the two along the coastal path which was a good walk), a bit touristy but way less than say Newquay in Cornwall.

sbob
    Free Member

Scotland.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Scotland.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Our favourite UK destination is the North West of Scotland, particularly around Gairloch & Poolewe.

hugo
    Free Member

Luton.

Joking aside, and I know it’s not the idea of the thread, but with all the the mentions of Scotland, if I lived in the bottom of third of the country then I’d definitely drive<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> to France instead for the same travelling time.</span>

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Denshaw, there’s a nice caravan site and a pub just up the road, Pennine Bridleway passes the Pub.

Don’t approach the locals.

duncancallum

Scotland

Dumfries n Galloway for a break

Gairloch for proper holidays

scud
    Free Member

What about my adopted homeland of North Norfolk, quiet here with beautiful beaches at Wells, Holkham, Cromer etc. Plenty of tourist places to visit and some good cycling, if not full on MTB?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Luton.Joking aside, and I know it’s not the idea of the thread, but with all the the mentions of Scotland, if I lived in the bottom of third of the country then I’d definitely drive<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> to France instead for the same travelling time.

But 7 hours from the Midlands will get you into Scotland going north. 7 hours going south you’ll still be sitting on the M25…

edit, and the quote function still doesn’t work properly.

whitestone
    Free Member

Caravan you say?

Let’s see …

Kent*

*pronunciation may not be as you’d expect 😉

swavis

Scotland. It helps to live here too, ken?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

they’ll be dragging a caravan with them so places involving mega miles less likely.

Most popular/nice places will already be fully booked up for August for caravans

Nico
    Free Member

But 7 hours from the Midlands will get you into Scotland going north. 7 hours going south you’ll still be sitting on the M25…

7 hours going south from Heathrow will see you still sitting on the M25 if you leave at the wrong time.

+1 for Pembrokeshire. Or mid-Wales.

prawny

North Cornwal, The Gower or South West Scotland.

Probably in reverse order of preference for me, been going to cornwall since I was about 12 so feels like a second home, even though it’s full of the dregs of society now. The Gower is lovely but accomodation is less plentiful.

Dumfries and Galloway is probably my favourite place in the world.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Regular visitors to north Wales. Just love it!

ThePinkster

I certainly wouldn’t recommend going to Northumberland again, not if you’ve been there recently.

After all there’s nothing much to see as it’s such a small area and you can’t move for all the tourists in the summer.

The beaches are dreadful too and so packed you can’t move on them.

That’s why i’m not going there this summer, oh no, not going anywhere near it.

Honest. 😉

ifra
    Free Member

West wales is stunning, around the Aberporth, New quay area. Like cornwall but quieter, beautiful beaches and also cheaper :-). Also stayed in Dumfries and Galloway a few years ago which was nice

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Scotland, West Coast, Oban & above.

Northumberland for short breaks.

tartanscarf

Torridon

Perthshire

The far North West (Durness)

The Borders

England.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I love the way some people go, “Scotland” or “England”.  As vague as you like.

richardkennerley

Why is it always left to me to suggest Blackpool?

TheBrick
    Free Member

tartanscarf

I only said “England” to make exactly that point “thebrick”. Saying “Scotland” is just plain daft.

I’d add Northumberland, the Lakes, Yorkshire, Cornwall and the Peak District to my list. Plus London. And Norfolk.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Where do you holiday in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.