Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • where do i stand – hit & run
  • argyle
    Free Member

so someone drove into our parked car and drove off after denting driver side doors. neighbour witnessed it but didn’t get full reg number. so…. where do i stand, do i call police? will i get told to do one/they can’t help? why are people idiots?

*sigh*

wwaswas

call police, keep an eye out for a car with damage corresponding to that on your car.

argyle
    Free Member

…and go owning?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Yes you call the Police, no they won’t do anything* other than give you a number that you use as a reference for your insurance claim.

Same thing happened to me, needed two doors, wing mirror and a panel replacing.

* I don’t see that there is much the police could do given that the inconsiderate scum have fled the scene and would be very hard to trace without a registration.

GrahamS

Yep, call the local police. Non-emergency obviously.

We got told off by our local plod for not reporting the scratches on our car as soon as we noticed them – apparently the delay meant they could do nothing (despite the fact we first noticed them at least a week after it happened and it was very obviously done by a nearby car that was still sat there with identical scratches).

GrahamS

I don’t see that there is much the police could do given that the inconsiderate scum have fled the scene and would be very hard to trace without a registration.

Might have CCTV nearby? Or a partial plate and vehicle description might be enough.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Our police were very keen to know about ANY damage to the car so that they could keep their stats up to date. However admitted they probably wouldn’t catch anyone.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thought the new style vrm was supposed to make it easier to detect someone from a partial plate.

argyle
    Free Member

we have a description of the driver, make of car, colour and time. Also traffic cameras at both main roads away from our street. Polis it is.

kilo

If the vehicle can’t be traced it may be worth researching the
    MIB untraced driver scheme;

http://www.mib.org.uk/Submit+a+Claim/en/Default.htm

andywoods
    Free Member

had similar incident few years ago working in friends garden when passerby waved to motor cyclist he waved back lost control and hit friends car i saw full thing biker stopped i went inside shouted friend both went outside biker had drove off id glanced at number when we called police gave them number said vehicle didnt exist turns out id got 2 digits wrong way round they wouldnt do anything..but eventually caught biker at set of traffic lights several days later..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘where do i stand – hit & run’ is closed to new replies.