Where do i get stitches removed?

Home Forum Chat Forum Where do i get stitches removed?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Where do i get stitches removed?
  • Do it yourself?

Smee

You got some scissors and a set of tweezers?

snaps

DIY or make an appointment with the sister at your local health center – but make the dried blood damp first & it doesn't hurt so much as the thread is pulled out!

sterilise the scissors and then cut them off.
    Are you a mouse?

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

Practice nurse, or go to the chemist and ask for the unpicker type thing (if there is one).
    I took my own out from my chin. All others were reomved by the practice nurse at the doctors surgery.

uplink

as above – DIY

If you're too squeamish, your local GP practice should have a nurse or more likely, a health care worker [not sure of their title]

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

Nurse at GP's did mine. Was in my hand so diy not really an option

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Appointment with your GP surgery nurse your not an A+E case, while you could take them out yourself it really needs to be checked for infection and the likes.

I removed the stitches from my cat's leg by cutting them with a pair of scissors and then pulling them out with my fingers – good fun it was 8)

Make sure you don't leave any bits behind though.

FunkyDunc

Phone NHS Direct… they will tell you to go to A&E imediately !

Premier Icon glenh
    Subscriber

DIY could be tricky due to the associated broke collar bone 😐

roper

I use these

Just make sure you cut just one side of the knot, then you can grip it with the tweezers and pull through.

My wife has removed any I can't reach but that was with wine bribery.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Phone NHS Direct… they will tell you to go to A&E imediately !

Yeah and call a emergency ambulance to get you there. 😡

Or do what my GF did, visit the practice nurse to get it done, who then left one in her foot which had gotten infected & meant the swelling took a couple more months to come down & possibly hindered her chance of a full recovery due to internal scarring. maybe. grrrr!

Premier Icon glenh
    Subscriber

I had a few stitches put in a cut on my leg while on holiday in france a couple of weeks ago.
    They are due to come out about now, but where do I go to get them removed?
    GP? A&E? Somewhere else?

avdave2

Not always that easy to get out as I discovered when the nurse had to remove mine after the snip, they had failed to dissolve. If they had been anywhere else I'd have probably done it myself but I had this image in my head of everything coming undone and my testicles rolling away and getting lost under the sofa.

FoxyChick

Depends where you had them put in!! 8)

Ok, oK…igmc!!

LMT

I had the nurse at my local gp's take mine out, due to being in the face, chin and above my lip, wanted them out properly as not to make too much scarring!

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

had stitches in my hand in the states last year.

made appointment with nurse at local GP surgery to get removed.

🙂

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

DIY always worked for me.

dyna-ti

Having put them in and taken them out without any anaesthetic i suggest you stop being such a big girls blouse* and remove them yourself
    Save the NHS time and money 😉
    *This in no way reflects my opinion of girls blouses.

I'd try the local Newsagent.

colande

any excuse to show this beauty off,

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I DIY'd the ones in my hand, was easy enough. But, the other advantage of having the pros do it is that they'll also be able to assess how it's healing, if there's any infection or drawing of the scar, etc etc. When I got the ones in my hip removed they noticed a slight inflamation which turned out to be an infection just taking hold, and they were able to act and stop it immediately which potentially stopped a lot of complications.

Aidy

I'm going to ditto the DIY approach. But mainly because I'm too lazy to make/keep appointments.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Where do i get stitches removed?’ is closed to new replies.