Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Where did you begin MTB'ing?
  • tomtomthepipersson

Around 1980 – on a BMX in the Welsh mountains where I grew up. I was 7 and knew no fear.

Got my first proper MTB around 1990.

Vern0n
    Free Member

For me it all started with sneaking out for a cheeky ciggie on my BMX – in Richmond Park (the horror!!) which must have been ’88/’89. Got more and more keen on the riding on mud and less keen on the fags. Good move. Went further afield to Oxshott, Esher etc until i decided it was killing me on a BMX so got me a garish Saracen (Trekker) in 1990. Awesome. Frightening to think of the miles covered in those days, thought nothing of 5,6, 7 mile ride just to get to some dirt. Anyway got me a Zaskar in the late 90’s (still best ever bike btw) when riding got a bit less XC and a bit more gnarr so more riding on N Downs / Surrey Hills. How my shiny German car would cry if it ever knew people cycled on roads and not just fettled with gears in car parks…..

mindmap3
    Free Member

I remember a guy at Burnham Beeches who had a ball burnished Zaskar with Judy DH’s, Looks cranks, Maguras and massive Azonic riser bars. It was the coolest thing that I’d ever seen!

Ironically before I moved down south, I lived in the middle if the Dalby forest and had no interest in riding bikes!

I’ve had a few breaks from bikes but always come back to them…around 2000 I decided mountain bikes were rubbish and rode BMX instead but I was rubbish at street and I got mugged at uni for my bike. Then randomly decided in 03 that I wanted another bike so put my student loan to good use! Had another break in 09 due to the recession and a lack of funds. Built another bike up last year and can’t get my head around what I did when I wasn’t riding!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

Early 1970s. Me and my brother would take our pre war single speed bikes out on off road trips with a rucsac containing a frying pan and sausages. . We’d build a fire, fry said sausages, brew tea and savour the moment. Happy days.

Fast forward to student days in Edinburgh in the mid eighties. I had a summer job working at Robin Williamson Cycles. My Colnago road bike got stolen, with the insurance, which was within a week of expiry, I bought the first Rockhopper in the country and went on to meet and ride with guys who became lifelong pals.

Tea leaf didn’t see that coming. 😀

stick_man

First proper mountain biking experiences in 1991 at Sheffield Uni. Realised I could ride from Endcliffe Park straight out to Stanage Edge & the Peaks. Completely trashed my cheapo bike but had a great time doing it.

May have bumped into HeadPotDog on the trails though no idea who he or she is.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Bought a bike to get to work and generally ride around on in the mid 80’s, it was a Trek but I can’t remember if it was an 820 or 830. First ride that I would recognise as being properly off road was a couple of months after buying it and was a 14-15 mile loop from Wendover. From that point on me and a mate went pretty much every weekend.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

’68 Thorner woods

tmb467
    Free Member

Newcastle, Norn Iron

here

On a rigid steel bike with caliper brakes in 1993

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dqh1yR48Jw[/video]

FOG

Bought my 1st mtb in 1986 from a shop I still buy bits from, a claud butler! At the time I was off-road m/cycle racing so went into the Peaks to do a climb I flew up on the enduro bike. Needless to say I didn’t fly up it , returned a broken man and put the bike back in the shed for a few months until it was nicked. With the insurance money I bought a Saracen Tufftrax with the rear brake on the chain stay [ask your dad ] and finally started riding properly. When I asked the salesman in the bike shop how the Saracen compared to the Butler he had sold me 6 mths befor he replied ,’That was a stone axe compared to this’! I have been cynical about technological claims ever since.

titusrider
    Free Member

Used to ride my 24 inch wheel Raleigh up and down the flat bridle way outside my parents like any kid.
    november 1998 aged 11 id been a good kid and dad offered to buy me a magazine. Spotted this cool cover of Dave Cunningham doing a massive tabletop on mountain biker international and decided that looked cool.

read that mag cover to cover and decided i wanted to do that and have a good bike. Saved every penny for a end of 99 stumpjumper comp as my first proper bike and started getting my mates into it at school.

never stopped 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, guess I’m young enough that bikes have always been ‘mountain bikes’.

Started using them beyond just cycle paths and BOAT/RUPP style trails in South Derbyshire arround 2002, sold my boat 6 months later, bought a carrera and a year after that headed off to uni in Sheffield.

vinnyeh

Christchurch NZ- as teenagers in the 70’s, used to ride our bikes on the Port Hills, loads of sheep tracks and old unmade roads.
    Mountainbiking on mountainbikes? Same area, mid-late 80’s..

dancingfool
    Free Member

Three years ago, rewired a house as a hommer thought id get a bike as a cheap hobbie. how wrong I was

miketually
    Free Member

June 1991, on a youth group camp in Frosterley, we hired a bunch of Marins. I was 13.

That evening I asked a girl to go out with me. We’re married with kids now.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

88/89 around Dalby and the North York moors. Took a road bike sabbatical between 96 and 2008 😯 but I’d say I’m now 50/50 mtb and road

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I has riding a hybrid on the odd bridleway in the early 90’s but I can pinpoint the seminal moment when this became mountain biking:

It was 96 and I’d been on a management training course on the mendips and was riding home. I decided to ride down a bridle way at full pelt and crashed breaking a tooth.

1. Riding fast and risking it was fun for its own sake
    2. I needed a proper mountain bike!

RoterStern
    Free Member

1996 Up and down the Wrekin/Acle wood near telford. Bl*ody loved it.

Funnily enough me too but 5 years earlier! Still have a mess around there when I am back in the UK!

the_lecht_rocks

1987, palisades trail, 1 months apprentice wages up Hampsfell, Cartmel Fell and Coniston Old Man. Still love it [even more perhaps]….

Trekster

This was my playground as a child in the 60s; http://www.wwt.org.uk/visit/caerlaverock/ It was a farm in those days and we used to ride across the merse and sands of the Solway estuary. I rode these tracks and roads till I got my driving licence and then there was a biking gap till 1980 when wife became pregnant with child number 1 necessitating me to cycle to work and her to have the car.
    Then in ’88-89 son and I started riding in the local forest and then Mabie. A mate needed to get fit for a job interview/medical so we started riding more at Mabie.
    My bike at that time was a Rudge bi-frame; http://www.lfgss.com/thread84511.html. A few Raliegh Mustangs followed by an M-Trac followed before I bought my son a Trek 8000 which we shared for a while until I got my Bontrager Priv. This I rode for 16yrs till the b&b she’ll have up and I bought a Blue Pig frame to add to my ’05 Kona Dawg.

So a quick recap; started at Mabie in late 80s, add in a bit of Ae. In the ’90s ventured over to GT, down the Lakes, got the maps out and went exploring everywhere and anywhere within a reasonable distance of home 😆

boltonjon

Growing up on the Isle of Man had some advantages!

in 1991, I had some mates who were well into biking, so i borrowed an old Dawes Ascent and went on my first ride with them

It was 30 miles, wet, cold and it nearly killed me – but i loved it!

I then bought the Dawes for £70 and painted it black and white with Hammerite! Just like a Dogz Bollox, but not quite as classy

6 months later, I bought my first ‘proper’ mountain bike – a Raleigh Dyna Tech Mission.

Rode and raced regularly for 6 years and then discovered women and drink

Got back into it with a bang in April 2011 – the best decision i’ve ever made 🙂

samcamsdad

For my first mtb ride, late 80s, think i was 11 or 12. 11 of us hired some ridge backs from a bloke in the village and set off to tackle garburn pass! 10 hours, 5 puntures, and 3 snapped chains later, we made it home. never looked back, it was great growing up in staveley.

jezketley
    Free Member

Was 1993, living in West Wycombe, bought a steel (v.harsh)Muddy Fox and mainly rode West Wycombe, Naphill/Downley Common and Hughenden area, and not much beyond because an hour or two was all I could take.

There are some good trails round that way, but I never fancied taking that bike up any real mountains or somewhere rocky.

First proper “mountain” bike ride, with front suspension, was an all dayer out of Rhayader c2000. Fantastic.

matt_outandabout

Somebody lent me a Saracen Rufftrax, I rode up Penrith Beacon – ace, but damn heavy and the brakes did not work.
    Then some chap called Lester, from a company that had just started up called ‘Orange’ (they were sailmakers…) had a couple of bikes at the sailing club, I borrowed one and got halfway to Glenridding on the singletrack – I was HOOKED….plus the bike was the coolest looking thing you ever saw…

Northwind

Late 80s some time, replaced my BMX with a very bad raleigh mountain bike, then replaced that with a fairly nice carrera which I still have. Barely recognise what I do today as a continuation of that, though…

So then I stopped for years, but restarted in about 2009 after I broke my hip- needed the exercise to sort out my leg. Revelation- tyres that grip, forks that boing, brakes that actually brake.

maddyutah

1991 Muddy fox pathfider around the pent lands

zangolin
    Free Member

Formby, Merseyside, 1985, Saracen Conquest.
    1st MTB race – Brinscall near Chorley in 1985.

Northwind

Got an image now of 90s Northwind riding past 90s maddyutah!

Bunnyhop

Mostly pootled around local footpaths with my sister(didn’t know it was forbidden).
    Then got into mtbing properly after coming back from a fantastic skiing holiday, wondering where I could capture that feeling of being in the fresh air, countryside, with good friends, doing exercise with a buzz. So my skiing pal and I, we headed out to the Peak District. Quite a learning curve in the late 1990s.
    Never looked back.

IanW
    Free Member

Christopher Harrison’s back garden circa 1972.

Felt sure those steps were doable but a fixie trike and the wrong tyres were my undoing.

Sancho
    Free Member

’87 in Whistler, I swapped the Xt 600 for a Nishiki and started hitching the bike on the back of the chairlift on 7th Heaven as Id spend the day watching my mates ski on the glacier, then Id ride down the fire roads and little tracks back to the village, then ride around the village and the lakes.

gnusmas

2000 in Brechfa before the trails got marked out, mate took me out as he had been riding there for years. My COUGH barracuda snakebite’s COUGH components completely seized after the first ride so built up my own over the next couple of months, never looked back since.

andyrm
    Free Member

1992, Luton, aged 14. We used to ride out to Chicksands every Sunday right up to 18 and blast round all day, before riding back. Good god we must have been fit back then!!

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Where did you begin MTB'ing?’ is closed to new replies.