Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 251 total)
  • Where are you from , no really from
  • oldenough
    Free Member

Maybe age is an issue, so why is she still working in a role she isn’t suited for? Only she isn’t anymore. Which seems reasonable.

Sums it up really, not sure there’s much more to be said about it. But obviously some will 🤷‍♂️

dyna-ti

Nope. Am I supposed to scrawl through all the papers.

This is my interpretation. Like, disagree its all the same, and no doubt in the guardian is someone else’s interpretation. Again, like, disagree or supply your own take on the proceedings.

tjagain

Its linked above and I think you might find it interesting and educational.

Its obvious racism.  Not of the deliberate type like the BNP but in an ill-educated and ignorant way.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Christ. What next, dream racism? You wake up in the morning and select white socks over black. It’s because you were being racist in your sleep. It’s not actual racism like the BNP and Nazis and stuff, but it is racism.

tjagain

Is it that hard to understand?

Racism comes in many forms.  this is obviously racist by any definition.  Did the women intend to be racist?  Myself I doubt it.  Was her actions racist – of course it was.  Its actual racism.

Jeepers some of you are more than a little hard of thinking

dyna-ti

What makes you so certain that your interpretation of her intentions is the correct one?

No more than the assertion that Mrs Hussey’s comments were racism. I like to believe they were completely innocent. Lot of cancel culture goes on these days wouldn’t you agree. Plenty of social media wolves ready to jump on the slightest thing.

@TJ
    . Guardian back in vogue then ?.

tjagain

Unconscious bias is the term to search for if you would like to learn more.  I believe thats what it is in this case.  No intent to be racist but the unconscious bias has led her to be racist.

nickc

@dyna-ti Mrs Hussey’s comments can be both innocent and racist simultaneously. Racism doesn’t have to have intent.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So what is the average number of pages on any topic before the original topic turns into fighting amongst posters?

Is this how the mods earn their Xmas Dinner? No swearing but bitching and bickering is OK?

dyna-ti

Mrs Hussey’s comments can be both innocent and racist simultaneously. Racism doesn’t have to have intent.

Oh I understand that, im just shocked by some peoples reaction on here spitting hatred towards an 83yr old woman who clearly didn’t realize her words would be jumped on

I’ll wager that in a private moment she’s ended up in tears over this.

But if it makes them all feel better and they can fly their flags high and clear that they championed the fight against racism,while ignoring more obvious cases of race hate, then i suppose thats the way some people wish to fly.

But if we’re quoting newspaper articles, here’s one than might offer the education TJ thinks some of us are in need of.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/in-defence-of-lady-susan-hussey/

ransos
    Free Member

I’ll wager that she thinks it’s a load of fuss about nothing.

tjagain

Spitting hatred?  Not seen that

jambourgie
    Free Member

Which it is really.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think alot of old folks are unintentionally racist, they don’t mean to be and they don’t intentionally mean offence, but it’s still racism however you cut it.

The transcript points to that, but also a great deal of ignorance and entitlement thrown in for good measure.

Did I honestly read some moron say it was ‘her fault for dressing that way’…??😳😩

dyna-ti

@Ranos

Taken from the article posted above by  Petronella Wyatt

” This morning a mutual friend told me she is ‘shattered and heartbroken and will never recover.’ ”

ernielynch

just shocked by some peoples reaction on here spitting hatred towards an 83yr old woman

Who is doing that? I get the impression that most people agree with Buckingham Palace’s assessment of the situation…. “unacceptable and deeply regrettable”. Who do you think is expressing hatred?

Racism doesn’t have to have intent.

I does for me – intent is everything.as far as I am concerned. IMO a comment can be racially insensitive without being racist.

I still use the original definition of racism :

*prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

*the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

I don’t use the newfangled politically correct definition of racism.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My take, for the little it’s worth.
    Old lady, probably unintended but obvious racism.
    Other lady, milking it. She knew what Ms Hussey meant & should’ve just said, ‘I’m as British as you but my parents were from Barbados.
    But then we wouldn’t talking about it.

Oh, & the touchy hair bit? Inappropriate.

ernielynch

She knew what Ms Hussey meant & should’ve just said, ‘I’m as British as you but my parents were from Barbados.

That is exactly what she said:

SH: “Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you’re from. When did you first come here?”

Ms Fulani: “Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50’s when…”

SH: “Oh, I knew we’d get there in the end, you’re Caribbean!”

Ms Fulani: “No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.”

What’s your complaint…… that she didn’t say it quick enough when first asked?

tjagain

IMO a comment can be racially insensitive without being racist.

Not sure how you square that

Do you believe this was a case of racism?

Edit – do you believe in unconscious bias?

dafydd17
    Free Member

‘I’m as British as you

I think that’s the bit some people can’t accept.

CountZero

But if we’re quoting newspaper articles, here’s one than might offer the education TJ thinks some of us are in need of.

I read that article; now, I don’t know what The Spectator’s political views are, but that article, to me, really seemed to have an agenda.

I’ll wager that she thinks it’s a load of fuss about nothing.

Quite possibly, but I think that’s partly age, ie the attitude of society when she grew up, combined with the type of society she grew up in, which very much restricted the range of people she’d interact with.
    I think the term ‘snobbish’ is one that might fit the bill. Certainly, my mum, bless her, displayed certain unfortunate traits that I was uncomfortable with, she grew up through the thirties, forties and fifties, so her prejudices were pretty common – I grew up through the fifties, sixties and seventies, so my attitudes were more, malleable, shall we say.

My prejudices involve similar attitudes, irrespective of the ethnicity of the asshole spouting them. The lady in question, having spent so long working closely with the monarch, really should have known better than to behave like that.

tjagain

I don’t know what The Spectator’s political views

right wing establishment

Aidy
    Free Member

She knew what Ms Hussey meant & should’ve just said, ‘I’m as British as you but my parents were from Barbados.

You could also easily say that Ms Hussey should have been able to tell that she was getting offended by that line of questioning, and cut her losses or changed the subject.

Aidy
    Free Member

I does for me – intent is everything.as far as I am concerned. IMO a comment can be racially insensitive without being racist.

I still use the original definition of racism :

*prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

*the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

The second part of your definition doesn’t have an “intent” aspect.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You could also easily say that Ms Hussey should have been able to tell that she was getting offended by that line of questioning, and cut her losses or changed the subject.

Definitely, but she’ll be Tory so being offended isn’t an issue, those bastids are used to it & just shrug it off.

ransos
    Free Member

@Ranos

Taken from the article posted above by Petronella Wyatt

” This morning a mutual friend told me she is ‘shattered and heartbroken and will never recover.’ ”

Must be true then.

dyna-ti

Must be true then.

Why shouldn’t it be ?, or do you approach everything that disagrees with your point of view as being corrupted and lies.

ransos
    Free Member

Why shouldn’t it be ?, or do you approach everything that disagrees with your point of view as being corrupted and lies.

Oh do get over yourself. We’re both speculating and a supportive quote from a friend in a conservative publication really isn’t evidence of anything. My best guess is that if she is upset, it’s because she believes she’s been vilified when she hasn’t done anything wrong.

Cougar

im just shocked by some peoples reaction on here spitting hatred towards an 83yr old woman who clearly didn’t realize her words would be jumped on

Baseless hyperbole aside,

She’s had 83 years to work out that doggedly going “yes, but where are you really from?” to someone born in London who happens to be brown might not be appropriate. Or even to work out when to drop a subject that someone else perhaps doesn’t want to talk about.

If we’re wagering things, I’ll wager that she’s oblivious (or maybe perplexed about the fuss). And honestly, probably should be. It’s an attitude which is the product of a dying generation, it’s not her fault any more than my gran talking about the corner shop starting with a P because it was owned by a gentleman from the Indian Subcontinent.

I don’t think that she, personally, should be vilified. I do however think that making this sort of incident quietly go away isn’t helpful either. Whilst we’re still wagering, I’ll wager it’s far from the first time she’s said something like this, and it’s very far from the first time that the recipient has heard similar.

Cougar

I don’t know what The Spectator’s political views are, but that article, to me, really seemed to have an agenda.

Nor I, but there seems to be a theme with the article’s author.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/writer/petronella-wyatt/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petronella_Wyatt

Aidy
    Free Member

Definitely, but she’ll be Tory so being offended isn’t an issue, those bastids are used to it & just shrug it off.

I’ve really no clue where that came from.

Aidy
    Free Member

Yeah. I can’t let that go.

Not sure if it’s a really poor attempt at humour, but saying it’s okay to be racist based on an entirely make believe political affiliations is *massively* out of line.

[Edit] That’s not to say that even if it wasn’t a complete fantasy, it would somehow be okay [/Edit]

dyna-ti

I don’t think that she, personally, should be vilified.

Sorry, isn’t that what this thread is doing ?. And on that note it’s pretty much pointless continuing on this thread.

ernielynch

I don’t think that she, personally, should be vilified.

Sorry, isn’t that what this thread is doing ?.

This thread is very clearly not about people’s personal opinions of the woman but their opinion concerning what she said and did.

What she said and did at a Palace event was a very major news story. Do you feel that the BBC was “vilifying” Mrs Hussey when they reported and discussed what she had said on their evening TV news?

The issue it raised is actually an important issue and one which many people feel should be discussed, even if some would rather brush it under the carpet.

kimbers

The woman was caught being rude & racist and she’s been removed from a role (by Buckingham Palace, I don’t believe anyone called for her to be sacked) that she was obviously not suited to

No one is villifying her beyond that

Whether it’s knee-jerk cap doffing defence of the Royals or outrage that she was caught out by an anti racism campaigner, it really seems to have upset some people, who are blowing it up out of proportion and embarrassing the royals even further!

hite-rite
    Free Member
    kelvin

Jesus Christ James “JustPikachoo”, if you want it to be a citizen journalist, the shaggy dog story and innuendos aren’t going to get you far. What a load of hot, empty, air.

Rich_s

I read 80 pages of that the other day before giving up. Not exactly shocked – an incredibly militant operation by all accounts.

kimbers

Jesus Christ James “JustPikachoo”, if you want it to be a citizen journalist, the shaggy dog story and innuendos aren’t going to get you far. What a load of hot, empty, air.

It was 100% the case that the right wing would do absolutely everything they could to get revenge on someone that exposed the royals as racist, justpikachu devoting so much effort to come up with all that nonsense is hilarious!!

kelvin

The charity uses Mac laptops… clearly corrupt. 😴

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 251 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.