Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Where are all the fat bikes?
  • n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Why would you run 700×28 in a fat frame? Even for a frankenbike parts bin build that’s a bit daft. Especially as you already have a road bike.

My fatbike is my commuter, I sometimes run it with the fat wheels, but it’s usually the FatNotFat 29ers with anything from 700×27 (Conti Grand Sport Race 25mm) in the summer through to 29×2.35″ G-One. Through winter it usually has 700x38mm Marathon Cross or Gravdal ice spiked tyres on it.
    I chose to fit the 4 Seasons before heading to North Wales last week, because the forecast looked chilly without being sub zero and I wanted to have a peak at the local categorised climbs, including the nuts gradient Gwaenysgor.
    It’s my flat bar “adventure bike” that can go anywhere where speed is not of the essence and I could easily replace it if something happened with something sub £600 like a Voodoo Marasa or a Boardman HYB 8.6.

My carbon road bike is dry weather only pretty much and to replace it with something similar spec for the price I paid in 2017 would be a big challange.

Buying the Wazoo in 2016 wasn’t about buying the right bike for the cycling I did back then or for what I usually do now, but after my 2013 RTA my road cycling confidence was very low, the Wazoo gave me a fun way to enjoy road cycling again.

As and when the Wazoo dies, it will be a toss up between another flat bar hybrid of a more convention kind, or maybe an drop bar adventure/gravel bike.

tomhoward

10kg isn’t impossible. Mines (Mukluk Carbon) 12.2ish, with 4.8 minions, a kg worth of tubes, a long reverb and kit that works, rather than being super light.

How do you get to 43lbs?! That’s more than some ebikes!

Northwind

tjagain

10 KG fatbike? I’d love to see the spec and some pictures

I didn’t go mad on lightness with mine but if I ditched the dropper post and stuck on juggernauts it wouldn’t be a long way off. Instead, I fitted 4.8 minions and a 210mm drop post because I am enduro as ****.

muddyground
    Free Member

FBF, inner tubes, Decathlon dropper, Jones steel bar, Beerbabes bag, spare inner tube, pump, water bottle, mudguards…. These things alone probably weigh 10lb. Cheap 80mm rims on original On-One hubs. I could go lighter with a little effort, but it is comfy as is and I don’t really care about the mass.

fatbikeslim
    Free Member

Happy to provide a spec and some pics if i can work out how to host some somewhere,

Rough spec

Frame : Smokestone BowTi Large
    Fork : Salsa Makwa carbon
    Wheels : Ican 65mm rims, Sapim cx ray spokes, Tune hubs (1750g wheelset)
    Tyres: Jumbo jims (the older 990g ones)
    Brakes : Xtr m9000, Hope floating 160mm
    Cassette : Garbaruk 10-50 11 speed (300ish grams)
    Drivetrain: Raceface next crank either 36t or 42t Absolute black oval dependent on event, custom Exact actuation mech (rival/ Eagle combo)
    Bars : Mt zoom carbon with ESI chunky grips
    Saddle: Selle italia Carbon 135g
    Seatpost: Kcnc scandium
    Pedals: Crank brothers 11
    Other, Mudhugger, garmin mount.

Total weight 9.95kg with flat xc bars, The whole exact actuation thing allows me to swap to hydro drop bars for endurance races these have sram shifters and hope rx4 calipers. Tips the scales at 10.2kg with the drop bar setup.

Theyre not for everyone but i bloody love them

scotroutes

At Laggan today 🙂

summittoppler
    Free Member

There’re probably out having fun!

Here’s a few photo’s from the last 4 weeks of my fat rides…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hztJxp]20191014_183122[/url] by Jeff Price, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hCh2nf]20191029_082853[/url] by Jeff Price, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hCebVM]20191029_115851[/url] by Jeff Price, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hDByai]20191101_105338[/url] by Jeff Price, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hDCzoE]20191101_104906[/url] by Jeff Price, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hExen7]20191103_111800[/url] by Jeff Price, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hHQghm]20191110_101105[/url] by Jeff Price, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hHLBbP]20191110_110936[/url] by Jeff Price, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLB1Ex]20191116_110436[/url] by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Well that’s been a fantastic 4 weeks!
    Fat biking is just something that should be done, it’s soo much fun 🙂

slamman69
    Free Member

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience on a fatty group. I guess like every forum you get people with strange views and so on. People who ride fatbikes are no different to anyone else, we all ride bikes. I often have nasty remarks directed at me on this forum for some reason so I tend to stay off hear. Forums can be nasty places. Some just love to abuse from afar. Again very sorry for your experience and please don’t tar us all with the same brush. Life’s to short.

slamman69
    Free Member

Hi, if you want it in aluminium, not for a while, if you can stretch to titanium we make one now. Our BowTi frame comes in both axle sizes.

tomhoward

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience on a fatty group. I guess like every forum you get people with strange views and so on. People who ride fatbikes are no different to anyone else, we all ride bikes. I often have nasty remarks directed at me on this forum for some reason so I tend to stay off hear. Forums can be nasty places. Some just love to abuse from afar. Again very sorry for your experience and please don’t tar us all with the same brush. Life’s to short.

Huh? Has a post been deleted?

scotroutes

A reply to TJs post?

scruff9252

I see that fat bikes come with differing levels of fat of 4″ or 5″. What would be the optimum size of tyres for Scottish winter slushy mud conditions? – I’ve got the Pentlands on my doorstep these days…

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m 100% fat and can’t see that changing any time soon.

My sub-12kg fat bike:

Fat bike

I could easily shed another kg.

I’ve got a burlier one too, but if I weighed it I’d be forced to spend lots of money. So I won’t.

scotroutes
    tomhoward

A reply to TJs post?

Ah yeah, didn’t look that far back!

scotroutes

In addition to tyre size, there’s the whole axle/BB size issue. Personally, I’d go Large. 100mm rims are now rarer than ever so you are into 80-83mm and that will take both 4″ and 5″ tyres. 190/197 rear end. My new Nutrail is on 4.4″ compared to 4″ previously and I’m finding no downside.

k1100t
    Free Member

@slamman69

Hi, if you want it in aluminium, not for a while, if you can stretch to titanium we make one now. Our BowTi frame comes in both axle sizes.

Thanks for the reply, I was mainly looking for a cheap aluminum frame, so missed that the Ti one came with different rear axle spacing. It’s a bit out of my price range at the moment, maybe one day…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

5″ and 100mm rims is the obvious choice for proper* snow. My bikes a 170mm QR and a 4.8 Minion fits on an 80mm rim. With 1x drive chains there isn’t a huge amount of difference, with 2x you need a wider BB and axle to keep the chain away from the tyre.

Like most things fatbike there isn’t a best, best is probably a 2.6″ tyre on a 40mm rim! You’re just picking a compromise and sticking with it. Just like normal tyres a wider one weighs a little more and drags** a little more but has more float and grip.

*as in groomed and compacted North American fatbike trails, nothing floats on fresh snow.

**debatable and probably depends on the surface.

epicyclo

thisisnotaspoon

…nothing floats on fresh snow.

Not even 5.6″ tyres at 0psi. He has a fair go at it, but that rate of energy consumption isn’t going to take you very far.

I’ve got a set of 120mm rims, but I have never got round to building them because we haven’t had that much snow in recent years and I grudge the price of the oversize tyres.

I’ve been saying for years that an 8″ tyre is what is needed for fresh snow, but that would be difficult to accommodate in anything you’d want to pedal.

I think for sufficient flotation a recumbent quad makes more sense because there’s no start up balance issues and more surface area of tyre to spread the load, plus there’s less likely to be porpoising because of body movement. Maybe one day I’ll get round to building one.

slamman69
    Free Member

Yes I get asked a lot for Henderson in 197mm, its in the pipeline but unfortunately not until later next year.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Where are all the fat bikes?’ is closed to new replies.