Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • When you take EVERYTHING into account, how fast are we moving?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Think earth’s speed of rotation, speed that earth is orbiting the sun, speed that the solar system is moving round the galaxy and the speed the galaxy is moving through space. That’ll be a pretty huge number.

retro83
    Free Member

speed relative to what?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

An imaginary static point at the centre of everything that does not move in any way shape or form.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

By a series of unfathomable coincidences it all cancels out, you SBZ are that imaginary static point.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk[/video]

retro83
    Free Member

No idea how you’d work out the speed from that imaginary centre point given that space itself is expanding, but the speed of the solar system in our galaxy is around 480,000 mph.

you SBZ are that imaginary static point.

🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Surely with anything that is expanding as a whole there is a static point inside it. Just some directions are expanding more quickly that others.

mudshark
    Free Member

Where is this static point? The place where the big bang was I suppose? But when that happened everything was in the same place right? Well there was nothing at that time and then quite soon afterwards everything. I find your question quite hard to answer….

MSP

retro83
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    Surely with anything that is expanding as a whole there is a static point inside it. Just some directions are expanding more quickly that others.

Apparently not, though I don’t fully understand why. The best I can do is the balloon analogy which is in either Universe In A Nutshell or BHOT whereby the 2d surface of a balloon represents the 3d universe. Draw dots on the balloon to represent galaxies and then blow it up, they get further apart but there is no centre point. Or something like that.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

See your baloon analogy – falls over when you consider that Andromeda is heading this way.

martymac

msp has it, its 42.
    doesnt matter what the question is, the answer is still 42.

retro83
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    See your baloon analogy – falls over when you consider that Andromeda is heading this way.

Okay then, a balloon covered with ants which can move but also generally get further apart as the balloon expands. Assume the person inflating the balloon does not mind putting an object covered with ants in their mouth of course.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

On some TV programme last night about Black Holes, that clever American middle-aged geezer with slant eyes and long white hair (I can never remember his name) said that if there was no gravity we would be hurled through space at a thousand miles per hour. I doubt whether it was a very precise figure but I HTH.

theotherjonv

my mate at school had a dog that allegedly would put anything covered in nutella into its mouth. I’m not sure of the relevance to the history of time but it was a defining moment in the 5th form.

Back to the point, an anteater probably would be a candidate for inflating said balloon, assuming they can blow?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the exact figure is, but there’s a kid in a Citroen Saxo in most towns who can go faster.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I can never remember his name

A little research reveals that his name is ?? ??.

No wonder I can never remember it.

bedmaker

I worked this out once, we are doing 88mph.
    Don’t ask me how I did it, it’ll take ages to explain.

headfirst
    Free Member

Won’t we be speeding up and slowing down as at times certain movements will be counter to others, eg. Spinning on earth’s axis vs orbiting the sun?

ahwiles
    Free Member

according to Dr Brian Cox, everything is moving through space-time at ‘C’.

go on, ask me another.

headfirst
    Free Member

Plus aren’t you going faster the nearer you are the equator? Please furnish us with your exact coordinates SBZ

hilldodger
    Free Member

Fast enough to need a helmet…..

samuri
    Free Member

The thousand miles an hour thing comes from the earths circumference being 24000 miles and it taking 24 hours to rotate.

Any they say there’s no god!

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

samurai, that would only apply if you were as far from the axis of rotation as possible ( around the equator). if you were on the north pole you would not be moving very fast at all. not sure if that has been said but I cba to read all the posts 🙂

stratobiker
    Free Member

When you take EVERYTHING into account we are moving at different speeds. Real and perceived. Speed needs time, and time is an emergent concept.

SB

yunki
    Free Member

is this why when we’re experiencing the full blown DTs we experience a falling sensation..?

thegreatape
    Free Member

SBZ, surely if you get your road bike out and put your head down, you could ride to the edge of the universe by supper time and find the answer?

bencooper
    Free Member

Prof Cox is right – we move through spacetime at the speed of light.

marsdenman
    Free Member

how fast are we moving?

slowly, towards the fridge, for a beer. Does that help?
    😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘When you take EVERYTHING into account, how fast are we moving?’ is closed to new replies.