Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • When you don't use a camelbak..
  • vickypea
    Free Member

Pockets? On my MTB jerseys or jackets, I’m lucky to have a single tiny pocket, let alone pockets big enough for pump, tube, phone, money, emergency snack, and waterproof. Pretty much essential unless you’re only nipping out for an hour, close to civilisation.

philjunior
    Free Member

Back pocket, sandwich bag if rainy, make sure I fall on the other side, and make sure I have a spare in the other pocket in case my primary one sets me on fire and I need to call for help.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

All mine have 3, or 4.
    Only one i’ve come across in the last few years that had less were some crappy ladies cut things that my wife (optimistically) bought, that obviously weren’t cut for any sort of a woman who rides a bike. So they went back.

I also (when the weather is bad) supliment the pockets with a small saddlebag. So i’ve got room for extra clothes (which i’ll need while moving) in pockets……

fifeandy
    Free Member

In a ziplock back in jersey pocket along with emergency £5. I still find it very strange that MTB tops don’t have pockets.

mahalo

irresponsible for me then. i quite often ride alone, in the dark, in less than familiar territory while im working away & nobody is waiting for me to return… it’d be 7am the next day before anyone noticed me missing, and probably the following day before they’d begin to worry. so i wouldn’t dream of venturing out without my phone. not to mention the amount of times i need to look at a map on it or shoot the odd instabanger!

philwarren11
    Free Member

Aquapac with a lanyard round my neck.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you don’t use a backpack where do you put spare tubes, pump, waterproof, tick remover, etc? I don’t use my camelbak bladder but the backpack is really useful, and that’s where I put my phone too.

Summer sleeveless road jersey under a normal top for bits, tube on bike, phone in shorts pocket. Gilet has a big zip up pocket on the back. Don’t tend to bother with a jacket unless it’s set for the day – then i’m wearing it anyway.

richmtb

Pocket.

I don’t worry about it getting wet I have a proper enduro spec gnarphone. Not a silly fashion item

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Front right pocket of my shorts, in a zip lock bag, screen on the inside so it doesn’t get smashed again 🙂

I carry it there regardless of having my back pack.

thenorthwind

proper enduro spec gnarphone

You mean a tactical phone?! Swoon… 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

And as for near universal phone signal, LOL!

To be fair Simon, the minute you dial 999 every mobile carrier will try and connect the call..

ebennett

The one time I put a phone in my pocket I washed out on some wet decking at Glentress while testing the girlfriend’s hire bike and smashed the screen. Don’t think I’d take it if I was going out without a pack 😀

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

How the hell do people actually manage to pedal with filled pockets on your shorts?

Doesn’t the endless clonking and banging on your legs piss you off immensly?

Or don’t you pedal very much?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“To be fair Simon, the minute you dial 999 every mobile carrier will try and connect the call..”

Which is wonderful but large parts of this island dont get any signal at all from any carrier.

personally i leave my mobile at home and carry my sat phone and bat signal light.

fooman

If I’ve no bag or suitable pocket I use one of those jogger armbands to hold a phone.

miketually
    Free Member

On longer solo rides, there are usually a couple of points per ride where I can text my wife. That way, she knows where to direct searchers if I don’t arrive home.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Tucked away somewhere obscure at home.
    Why take a phone on a bike ride?

mattsccm
    Free Member

“irresponsible for me then. i quite often ride alone, in the dark, in less than familiar territory while im working away & nobody is waiting for me to return… it’d be 7am the next day before anyone noticed me missing, and probably the following day before they’d begin to worry. so i wouldn’t dream of venturing out without my phone. not to mention the amount of times i need to look at a map on it or shoot the odd instabanger!”
    I’m the same but ***k know where the phone is most of the time. I don’t carry it. Generation thing maybe, might drag the helmet out now that its dark early, might not. Wouldn’t use a seat belt if I wasn’t worried about being caught.

tjagain

Never carry a backpack ( bar really wintry rides). Pump is on a frame clip, multitool and tube in seat pack, bottle on frame. I don’t carry anything much else. All my kit has plenty of pockets tho – I have only just bought my first mobile phoone – I guess it goess in a front pocket if I bothered to carry it which quite honestly I don’t usually

madweedavey
    Free Member

not taking a phone is kindda irresponsible, esp if riding alone.

Do you treat a mobile phone as a mystical skill compensator get out of jail free card? Personally when I’m out riding alone I make sure that I ride well within my ability level. Riding in such a way that you’re likely to need the cavalry to come and rescue you is kindda irresponsible. Let’s face it if you’re able to get the phone out of whereever you’ve stashed it and are in a good enough state to phone the emergency services with your location and needs then you’re probably not badly injured enough to need those services.

tom200

In the car, or in a bag in the rear pocket of by bib shorts. If I’m going futher than a limp/crawl from the car I will usually have a pack.

molgrips
    Free Member

Riding in such a way that you’re likely to need the cavalry to come and rescue you is kindda irresponsible

I ride very carefully when alone, but I still have a phone. Anything could happen. Tyre blowout at 35mph on road; frame failure; unexpected crash – I once wiped out on a flat ridgeway trail when my front wheel hit an unseen sapling stump. I could also have a heart attack or something.

Not only that but my bike does break from time to time. Snapped a pedal axle off the other day about 20 miles from home.

Let’s face it if you’re able to get the phone out of whereever you’ve stashed it and are in a good enough state to phone the emergency services with your location and needs then you’re probably not badly injured enough to need those services.

Friend of mine slipped on ice whilst running, broke both bones in his lower leg. No phone. Had to crawl a mile in the snow with his foot hanging off. He survived of course but I expect he’d have been glad of a phone!

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah. Saw that bloke having a heart attack at Swinley. He was in no fit state to phone anyone. However the four blokes surrounding him were, and they were on the blower to the emergency services.

andeh

In my pocket. If it’s raining/wet, in a ziplock bag, in my coat/pocket.

Alpha1653

I don’t get why you wouldn’t ride with a phone: it weighs barely anything and it’s there if you need it.

It’s not just a question of your own safety. I’ve not had to use my phone to get help for any self sustained injury, but I’ve had to call an ambulance on two separate occasions for riders who I’ve found semi conscious on the trail and another random RTA. With no phone, the alternative would have been to leave a semi conscious/bleeding casualty alone to get help.

Anyway, in answer to the OP: jersey pocket on the road; waistpack on the MTB.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I dislike wearing a backpack, so don’t unless I’m on a long ride.

Phone goes in a small saddle pack along with tools, tubes etc. Drink in a water bottle.

Not carrying a phone is deliberately obtuse. Not owning a phone, well….

aracer
    Free Member

The same place I put it when I am wearing a hydration pack. Is putting your phone in your hydration pack a thing?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The same place I put it when I am wearing a hydration pack. Is putting your phone in your hydration pack a thing?

Got pockets for it in the bag, nice safe place fits much better than any pocket and doesn’t slap around. It’s only my road jerseys with pockets that would work just but the phones a bit big. Shorts no thanks.

rone

expensive but good

In that in my pocket. The best phone + kit solution yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is putting your phone in your hydration pack a thing?

My pack has a nice furry clean and waterproof pocket for my phone, which it accepts in its normal case so no faffing around with plastic bags or cases and so on. It also doesn’t flap around by my legs or otherwise annoy my leg, and won’t be damaged in a crash.

Less convenient to take photos or receive calls though.

I’ve had to call an ambulance on two separate occasions for riders who I’ve found semi conscious on the trail and another random RTA

Oh yeah, that too – I came across a lad who’d fallen and smashed his bonce a few weeks back. Fortunately emergency services were on their way and he was being looked after by people who had the foresight to bring phones!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Anywhere as long as it won’t disturb the ride. On road, in back pocket, on mtb in v slim NF version of a camelback.

But it’s amazing how overeliant we have become on mobiles.. How did we cope in the mountains without them? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

No-one’s relying on them THM. We’re just using them as emergency devices. Which isn’t a bad thing is it?

As said in the old days you were simply in more trouble if you got into trouble.

convert

I have the ultimate device for protecting my phone whilst out riding – it’s called a work phone! Like a hire car it is the ultimate go anywhere, do anything bit of kit. My personal phone stays nice a safe back at home – it’s a daft plus sized thing and not the best for carrying in a pocket. My work phone is small, cheap, useless and only rings with bad news so I really don’t care what happens to it.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah – it would be nice sometimes to have a bigger phone, but that’s the main reason I got a little one.

I have considered going a similar way to convert, getting a cheap little phone for use when out and about – stick in a PAYG SIM (when I last checked Asda ones were free and came with a small amount of free credit, so effectively free for emergency use). But then my main phone is supposedly waterproof (I wouldn’t go kayaking with it, but I figure it will cope with normal outdoors damp) and small enough – and I quite like having a decent camera and the option of mapping with GPS, along with other interesting stuff like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.peakfinder.area.alps&hl=en_GB. Yes I survived without a GPS in the mountains for a long time, but when I went out this year after a long break and was lacking a bit of confidence in my nav in thick cloud on a snow field it was nice to pull it out and confirm I was where I thought I was.

andytherocketeer

My phone points the way to the nearest tram stop or train station, and the app within is the emergency ticket home too (although I also have a €20 note and some coins secreted away too for an emergency cake or tram fare).

It goes in middle back pocket usually, unless I also have a GPS or camera, in which case they go in side pockets to balance things out a bit.

Not all jerseys are MAMIL’ed up lycra style. Most of mine are baggy MTB style but with pockets, or generic going for a sensible ride style jerseys.

Dunno how people are fitting phones in shorts pockets… mine would snap in half if you tried that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No-one’s relying on them THM. We’re just using them as emergency devices.

Dont wish to derail thread, but wish that was true in life and in cycling.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most of mine are baggy MTB style but with pockets

Never seen a baggy jersey with pockets. But if arm pockets are anything to go by surely the weight of anything in back pockets would pull the jersey uncomfortably or bounce about?

molgrips
    Free Member

Dont wish to derail thread, but wish that was true in life and in cycling.

I think that’s your fault not the phone’s. Don’t blame your car for being stuck in traffic 🙂

theotherjonv

In a drybag, obviously. With a lanyard, for retrieval.

andytherocketeer

Never seen a baggy jersey with pockets. But if arm pockets are anything to go by surely the weight of anything in back pockets would pull the jersey uncomfortably or bounce about?

Well not properly sail-like baggy big enough for body armour, but “less fitted” than MAMIL. They don’t bounce that much but I do try to even out the weight. Depends what and where you ride… big day out up mountains I’ll have backpack, but short 1-2 hours local XC loop, I’ll have bottle and pump on bike and pockets stuffed. Key tether would be nice… only have that on a side rib pocket, and a really daft external tether on shorts.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘When you don't use a camelbak..’ is closed to new replies.