• This topic has 37 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • When was the last time you used a phonebox?
  • kayak23

I can’t even remember. Have they still even got phones in them?

Must still cost them a lot to maintain them. Will the phonebox fizzle?
    Where do superheroes get changed?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The last one I saw contained a small honesty library.

jon1973
    Free Member

Must be nearly 20 odd years since I used one. Back then I used to carry a 10 unit phonecard for emergencies.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

they’re quite useful when you want to get out the wind for a bit and use your mobile.

mudshark
    Free Member

They always smell of urine when I leave.

scruff9252

I saw a phonebox on the Isle of Bute last year which took phonecards. I havent seen a phonecard for sale for years

Jamie
    Free Member

The last one I saw contained a small honesty library.

Same here.

chewkw
    Free Member

1992 I think. 🙂

mattk
    Free Member

A few weeks ago in the phone box museum at Avoncroft.

Actually quite an interesting day out, the RAC phone box from the 90s was my favourite.

DrP

The world has been pretty ‘safe’ from megalomaniac danger really, so no need for me to ‘get changed’ (if you know what I mean).
    However, I do hear of a pending landslide in Turkey, so better nip off quickly…

DrP

nickdavies

I used one on the weekend to check my position on an OS map.. does that count? 😆

smatkins1
    Free Member

A few weeks ago I saw a homeless guy drop his pants and use one. After seeing that I swore to myself I’d never set foot in a phone box again!

burnie
    Free Member

Never used one. But I do still see them occasionally.

willard

September last year in Brecon town. I had no signal at all on my “3” network phone and wanted to call my wife. No sodding chance on the mobile (it didn’t work until I actually got back into England) and the phone boxes only took cards.

And they smelled of wee.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I used one about 5 months ago to prove to my flatmate that a landline stays connected even if the recipient hangs up the call. To actually make a phone call, about 8 years.

Northwind

I still advertise in them

avdave2

And I’m suing you under the trade descriptions act – “post op” my arse

ekul
    Free Member

And I’m suing you under the trade descriptions act – “post op” my arse

You read it wrong, it said ‘Post Up My Arse”

jon1973
    Free Member

Gary_M
    Free Member

You read it wrong, it said ‘Post Up My Arse”

So instead of a cougar you’re a puma?

I last used one in 1995 I think, and it was for making a phonecall.

The ones I’ve seen look complicated – you can send email and all sorts of things from them now.

avdave2

The last time I actually used one (other than to get Northwinds number) was about 10 years ago the try to patch a tube in a downpour on a freezing cold day.

The best use ever though was my friends dad who as a kid had run into one during a V1 attack. Now I know they didn’t give you a lot of time to run and hide but it’s hard to think of a worse place to pick.

wwaswas

my friends dad who as a kid had run into one during a V1 attack

they say there’s always one with your name on it.

He wasn’t called Mr Doodlebug was he?

(copyright Paul Merton and igmc)

Rockape63
    Free Member

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Probably 10-15 years ago I remember using one in Spain or France with a phone card.

I don’t even have a phone plugged into the landline or know what the landline number in the house is.

bikebouy
    Free Member

On the road to the office there are 2, both have “wifi” in them and both smell a bit “wifi” too.

CountZero

Racking my brains trying to remember the last time I used one. Hardly ever make calls anyway, so I’ve probably used one three or four times in my life, and last time probably around thirty years ago.

unovolo
    Free Member

They always smell of urine

That was probably the last time I used for for a ‘Call of nature’, maybe BT should convert them all into urinals would be much more handy.

Bregante

My kids (9 & 5) pointed at a phone box the other week as it had a Disney film poster on it. They referred to the poster on “that glass box over there”.

They fell about laughing in the back of the car when I told them that there was a phone in it that you put money into. My wife tried to convince them but nope – silly Daddy was winding them up again!

dannybgoode

Useful if you are trying to find ‘company’ for the night in a town you do not know well…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

For amphetamines.

Undisclosed date between 2010 and yesterday.

maccruiskeen

Some friends of mine used to collect the cards from Kings Cross telephone boxes and play top trumps with them.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I think I used one on Sunday?

Got a connection to a BT hotspot whilst out and about, when finished I noticed a phone box with email/internet/something else banner on it across the road from me.

Haze

On the Wiggle sportive at the weekend.

mav12
    Free Member

I repaired them for 22 years

welshfarmer

There is no signal at all around here and it is very touristy and popular with Duke of Edinburgh groups so all the phone boxes get a lot of use. BT tried to retire them recently till it was pointed out that they had a duty of care for people needing to phone for emergency services. Really annoys me when people assume you have a mobile signal. We can’t even report a line fault without travelling 6 miles to get a signal or go a mile to use a neighbours phone.

konabunny
    Free Member

I saw a phonebox on the Isle of Bute last year which took phonecards. I havent seen a phonecard for sale for years

They still use them in prisons, don’t they?

yunki
    Free Member

The phonebox in the village where my sister lives doubles up as the local library..

which is nice 🙂

eskay

As kids we used to think it was highly amusing to call the operator from a phone box and ask to speak to Busby.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘When was the last time you used a phonebox?’ is closed to new replies.