Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • When was the last time you heard an Owl?
  • fasthaggis

Out riding last night on my own and heard one when I stopped for a drink. Not heard any for a while and never in this wood before. I couldn’t resist trying to get a reply, so sent out my best impression. Result! 😊
    Had a laugh thinking it was probably some other idiot making the owl noises back.
    Reminded me of being a kid though, sitting out with my brother and Dad, trying to get the sound just right. Then that first time you get an answer.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Twit.

binners

twoo

wwaswas

also last night, on our weekly group mtb ride 🙂

One of those night ride sounds that makes you glad you got up off the sofa!

jam-bo

last night, there are a pair of tawny owls that chatter away to each other in the woods behind my garden.

fasthaggis

So, it was one of you two ..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Last night, and most nights! We have both barn and little owls in outbuildings. Lovely things!

Sadly found one of the barn owls dead in the garden the other day. No obvious signs of illness or injury.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just about every night. Our house backs onto woods and you can hear owls all the time…

Can’t say I’ve ever tried talking to them though. No idea if this is true but the twit-twoo noise is actually 2 owls communicating. One with the twit bit and one with the twoo…

globalti
    Free Member

Not sure about owls but if you hear a cuckoo it’s easy to attract it by doing a cuckoo hoot with your hands, though I’ve never known if they fly over because they fancy me or because they think I’m invading their territory.

perchypanther
    Free Member

When was the last time you heard an Owl?

When I ‘it my ’and with my ‘ammer

matt_outandabout

About once a week at our place – woods in front seem to be a hangout for a tawny. If a neighbour joins them in the sycamores behind our house they often have a ‘are you right?’ and ‘i am right.’ conversation for a while.

Drac

This morning.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Most nights around us. And they do seem to respond if you get the call right.

I was out on the mtb at dusk a while back and a tawny tracked me for about 200m about 10 metres to my left. Just gliding along looking at me That was cool.

globalti
    Free Member

One of the saddest things I ever saw when driving home late one night, was a huge white owl, transfixed on the front of the roof rack on a builder’s van, wings outspread in the slipstream, where it had been hit and trapped when it swooped low over the road.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Most nights. Regularly joined by one one just after twilight rides.

perchypanther
    Free Member

One of the saddest things I ever saw when driving home late one night, was a huge white owl, transfixed on the front of the roofrack on a builder’s van, wings outspread in the slipstream, where it had been hit and trapped when it swooped low over the road.

Meanwhile, Harry Potter is still waiting on a quote for his extension.

thepurist

Sadly found one of the barn owls dead in the garden the other day. No obvious signs of illness or injury.

If you find a dead raptor of any sort please contact the Predatory Birds Monitoring Scheme – they’ll send you a box to post it back in (pop it in the freexer while you’re waiting) they are investigating the spread of chemicals through the food chain. You also get a post mortem report on your bird so you can find out why it died.

https://pbms.ceh.ac.uk/

binners

We have them in the woods behinnd our house so we hear them quite a lot.

I remember night riding in Delamere forest and a bloody big owl swooped right past us, what felt like inches from my head. I think I may have screamed. I don’t remember it replying

submarined
    Free Member

EEEEEEEEEEK!

sarawak
    Free Member

Rode alongside one this morning. He was searching a ditch for prey. Barn owl. See him regularly.

wwaswas

Never heard of that thepurist – thanks 🙂

ivorlott
    Free Member

Hear them regularly from our house too, occasionally seen if you do try to ‘talk’ to them. Lots of Beech trees here attracting rodents, which in turn…

molgrips
    Free Member

When I was on a late night ride on the Ridgeway I saw a barn owl and a badger burst out of the same bush and flee. Wtf were you two up to eh?

wait4me

Most nights here too. A couple of tawny. Plus in the mornings got a couple of woodpeckers hammering away. One landed on the lawn yesterday morning and then took off just as I switched the camera on. Next time. I’m no twitcher but it’s still a real treat.

perchypanther
    Free Member

When I was on a late night ride on the Ridgeway I saw a barn owl and a badger burst out of the same bush and flee. Wtf were you two up to eh?

Mouse just described a Gruffalo?

wwaswas

there might have been less of a response to a ‘when was the last time you didn’t hear an owl’ thread 🙂

fasthaggis

there might have been less of a response to a ‘when was the last time you didn’t hear an owl’ thread

Well I am glad there are so many hooting an a howling*

* Not the Wild Beasts track 🙂

beej

Mate in Spain has a Eurasian Eagle Owl that hangs out in a tree in his garden. We heard it weeks before it was seen – watched some videos to try and identify the noise heard most mornings and evenings.

They finally saw it when they realised which tree it liked, they were looking the wrong side of the house. It swoops across their entrance courtyard. To and from the tree.

They fear for their cat…

alric
    Free Member

most evenings.
    Also heard some strange owl like sounds one evening, pretty sure it wasnt a deer or dog, and looked online to hear owl sounds etc but still no idea what it was

perchypanther
    Free Member

Foxes shagging?

Moe

I hear them regularly but then I do commute through the forest. The Hawk Conservancy near Andover is well worth a visit if you are ever down that way (just off the A303), it’s a good day out and (PSA) if your southbound the cafe is freely accessible and beats Fleet Services hands down, just check opening times.

fasthaggis

Is that your American Indian name perchy?

gfsracing
    Free Member

Watch the Chelsea v SWFC match on Sunday

You will hear 6000 of them then

WAWAW

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is that your American Indian name perchy?

Yep. Any idea where I could get a bunghole for my tepee?

jaketurbo
    Free Member

Most nights – there’s one that lives in my garden.

woffle
    Free Member

we’re out in the Sussex countryside and hear owls pretty much most nights. We’ve got an amazing barn owl that nests on the neighbouring farm – Wednesday pm we watched it hunting in the hedges opposite the house for a good 15 minutes. They’re amazing.

fossy

Most nights – there is one that nests nearby.

petec
    Free Member

Just about every night. Our house backs onto woods and you can hear owls all the time

This. Oh god this. All night every night.

Lovely to hear them actually.

Drac

Most nights – there’s one that lives in my garden.

🎶And his name Wiggly Twit-tawooo! 🎶

stevied
    Free Member

We’ve got a Tawny that hangs around our back garden so hear it most nights if I’m tinkering in the shed.
    And have a regular Sparrowhawk visit and had a Merlin terrorising the sparrows last weekend 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘When was the last time you heard an Owl?’ is closed to new replies.