Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • When was the last time the world was free of war?
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Has it been free of war in the last 100 years at any point, or is it longer than that? I only ask as we seem to be heading into a war in Syria.

stratobiker
    Free Member

When was the last time the world was free of war?

Never!

ton

never will be either…..war is business.

butcher

I would’ve thought you’d have to go back a few thousand years!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Would the Pax Romana be the last time there was relative peace?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Before there were humans

piemonster

Before there were humans

Plus one

Obviously nature was still kicking the crap out if itself for a meal

piemonster

Would the Pax Romana be the last time there was relative peace?

Not a chance, unless your limiting the world to Europe. Even then I’d be doing some serious chin scratching.

piemonster

iirc the appearance of written records coincides with the appearance of war and slavery in written records?

That Sargon chap probably.

grunty
    Free Member

I’d read somewhere that in all of human history there have only been 260 ‘war free’ years.

Don’t know when the last one was though and can’t remember where I read the above stat.

Smudger666

The last (and only year in the last 100 years IIRC) that a British serviceman didn’t die in combat was 1967.

crankboy
    Free Member

1967 was the end of Aden ? Did none of our troops get killed.?

irc

May be 1968 as only year since WW2 with no combat deaths. Post Aden and pre Northern Ireland.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

1968 – Vietnam was in full swing

crankboy
    Free Member

Arrse says 1968 is the year for no British combat deaths and they should know .

wrecker
    Free Member

Cheery thread dude 😀

Smudger666

Ahh, wrong year by one.

I was going to say it didn’t matter, but it would have o the poor bugger(s) who was killed that year.

JulianA
    Free Member

Cheery thread dude

A very valid question though…

Syria is an awful situation but should we get yet more involved in the Middle East? Can we? Dare we? What is the Russian stance? There’s a big question mark over this one, as with all the others, surely…

crankboy
    Free Member

The Pax Romana was just Latin for pay your taxes or we feed you to the lions. There were continuous border wars and revolts . I fear that the answer to your question is not since we have been able to define what war is.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Arrse says 1968 is the year for no British combat deaths and they should know .

Contrary to popular belief there are places in the world which are not classed as Britain.

samuri
    Free Member

And not all British servicemen deaths are recorded because quite often we’re not supposed to be there. We’re just giving a hand in a non-official capacity. Supporting who the British government think the good guys are.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

How about at the end ow WW1 and WW2? There must have been a week,or so where everyone stopped, no? What war continued after VJ Day?

Haha VJ day! kyuk!

glupton1976
    Free Member

What war continued after VJ Day?

That would be the Russian Civil War.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Russian civl war? In 1945?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Aye – that’ll be the beer kicking in. Wrong World War.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Which world were you on?

maccruiskeen

How about at the end ow WW1 and WW2?

Russia was having further ding dongs during and after WW2

Ili Rebellion – Russia, Mongolia and China having a rammy from 1944 to 1949
    Russia was also having another rammy with the Forest Brothers in the Balkans and dealing with insurgancy in the Ukraine

There was also the Jewish insurgency in Palestine which british forces were also involved it – fighting on the losing side

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

December 1949.

A joyous feeling of love peace and harmony enveloped the world.

maccruiskeen

Its interesting to read the current list of conflicts – theres really rather a lot of them – surprising that one of the bloodiest is the Mexican Drug War.

Its a popular holiday destination but its nearly four times as war-y as Iraq and more than ten times as war-y as Libya.

Daffy

ernie_lynch – Member
    December 1949.

Not likely. The French were still embroiled in conflict in Indochina (later Vietnam) during this period…I think the Vietnam war (in one form or another) runs from 46-75.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

OK, November 1951 then.

Sorry I mean 1954.

No wait, 1957.

Or perhaps 1959 ?

How about 1309 ?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

stu1972
    Free Member

It was at this point when it all started going pete tong

TooTall
    Free Member

1968 as only year since WW2 with no combat deaths

Operational, not combat.

/pedant

jamesca
    Free Member

just before that guy lost his rib?

konabunny
    Free Member

It all depends on what you mean by war, though. The “classical” (by which we probably mean 19th century so not classical at all) concept of interstate war wouldn’t exist before the rise of states, and is probably all over now. Are there any actual interstate wars still going? Maybe in the African Great Lakes? Georgia and Russia would be the last one in Europe presumably? There are a few unresolved conflicts (Korea, Cyprus, Israel/neighbours) but not many interstate wars. That’s probably a good thing.

If you mean something more than that by war, well, it’s a different answer.

There was also the Jewish insurgency in Palestine which british forces were also involved it – fighting on the losing side

It wasn’t really a war, though – that only erupted after the Brits surprised everyone by picking up and buggering off home.

piemonster

war
    /wôr/
    Noun
    A state of armed conflict between different nations or states or different groups within a nation or state.
    Verb
    Engage in a war.
    Synonyms
    noun. warfare – battle – fight – struggle – combat – strife
    verb. fight – combat – battle – make war

I’m going with this definition, and so did google. I’d say there’s a few going on.

piemonster

Although I’ll freely admit that many small scale conflicts blur the lines.

Damn this small scale conflicts not fitting nice easy definitions.

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s a political question, not a linguistic one really.

piemonster

I’m still going with that definition, war is two significantly large groups trying to murder/kill each other. Lack of a state, and lack of desire to create a state are no inhibitors.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘When was the last time the world was free of war?’ is closed to new replies.