Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 148 total)
  • When was the last time technology truly amazed you?
  • ransos
    Free Member

Manchester to Senegal in a week!! How long it still takes so long to get stuff delivered to your home then?

Presumably, it wasn’t stolen by MyHermes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

then can post the rest of what I was saying to STW 😉

though in reality it doesn’t proof read it for me when I get distracted while posting…
    (that is what the Spambots are for)

Thinking back the flights with WiFi, watched Netflix on one, skyped my folks from the air.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I still feel like Buck Rogers when I use my phone to pay for things.

perchypanther
    Free Member

This morning, when I read the latest output of the poetry robot.

philmccrackin
    Free Member

Purchasing a new coat in Cotswold Outdoors i enquired about the ‘price match promise’ she said i have seven days to find it cheaper elsewhere, bring proof into store and they will refund the difference. i went on my phone there and then and found the same item £43 cheaper – bosh! refunded! was absolutely astounded, and mightily impressed – i wanted to shake her hand!! 🙂

AlexSimon

Accessibility

Part 1: I’m always amazed at the quality of Open Source technology.
    I remember when it used to be a mess. Now it’s better than proprietary in many cases. Mainly due to better collaboration tools.

Case in point. I’m building a CNC router (computer-controlled wood cutting).
    I can choose from 3 different amazing open source tools that will control the machine perfectly. All free, well documented, well supported and industry tested.
    2 of them can run on <£10 Arduino boards.

Part 2: YouTube. If I want to know anything at all, I can find a helpful person on YouTube to talk me through it. Build a CNC – no problem. Build a boat – no problem. Jet bike – no problem.

globalti
    Free Member

We have a gas chromatography machine with attached “twister” technology; simply put it exploits the ability of certain polymers to grab certain aroma molecules out of a product. The molecules are then washed off the polymer and collected in a chamber then sent to the GC column for chromatography and then subject to mass spectroscopy to confirm the identification. Amazing stuff happening in a ropey area of Manchester; it always impresses the hell out of me. I love showing visitors around our place; when they reach our £4m robotic factory their eyes go all goggly.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Presumably, it wasn’t stolen by MyHermes.

No but it was delivered by them, supposed to be to edinburgh though 🙂

verses

Saw a 3D printer producing toys at a craft fair recently. I know they’ve been around a while, but it was the first time I’ve seen one in the flesh. The potential is incredible.

Also, being taken for a spin in my mate’s Tesla Model S. I know it’s essentially just a car, but the way it operates just feels revolutionary compared with standard cars.

This week I had the opposite of the thread though. I played with a friend’s iPhone X and was a bit underwhelmed. Given that it costs so much more than the competition I couldn’t see what it did that was better and justified the difference in price.

wwaswas

feel like Buck Rogers when I use my phone to pay for things.

I remember the TV series majored on him buying stuff using novel technology.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Teacher in the year above me just had all her class with VR headsets on. She was wearing a special t-shirt and when they looked at different bits of her, it showed the internal organs working.

Garry_Lager

Not amazed, but was quite impressed with the London underground recognising your bank card – not seen that before on mass transit.
    Generally use the hire bikes when down for a meeting, so don’t think I’ve been on the tube for a couple of years. Was with a couple of others earlier this week and used it for the first time.

wwaswas

DezB
    Free Member

She was wearing a special t-shirt and when they looked at different bits of her, it showed the internal organs working.

#strangest

seosamh77
    Free Member

When I discovered teamviewer the other week.

I can basically control the 4 computers I have access to from anywhere now, ie can control any of the computers from any computer or even from my phone.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Couple of weeks ago.

Sat on the couch wondering what to have for dinner. Browsed some recipes on my phone and found one I fancied and had the ingredients for. Tapped a little icon to say “send this recipe to my google home”, then walked into the kitchen and announced “ok google, lets start cooking” It then read the recipe back to me step by step.

Awesome.

jimdubleyou

I work in that London, currently I can see The Scalpel going up outside my window.

I am constantly amazed at the technology that goes into building such strange shapes.

kayak23

Every time I enjoy a hot cup of tea around 2.30pm that I made around 6am.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I take an interest in tech, so I know what things are potentially possible – then I become impressed when after many years of development they finally are widely available and work well.

Had the satnav on my phone in the car yesterday going to Ikea then Hobbycraft, it was about 5pm. Then I realised I might be doing it the wrong way round:

“Ok Google, what time does Ikea close?”
    “Ikea Cardiff closes at 9pm”
    “Ok Google, what time does Hobbycraft close?”
    “Hobbycraft Cardiff closes at 6pm”
    “Ok Google, take me to Hobbycraft Cardiff”
    “Okay, navigating to Hobbycraft Cardiff”

All whilst driving along and not even taking my eyes off the road. Then I asked her to shuffle my music on Amazon music, and it did.

Although, asking her to play UK Radio X on TuneIn is ridiculous. She says ‘Ok, asking to play music’ and then plays a Lebanese station. Every time.

chewkw
    Free Member

The Original Sony Walkman TPS-L2 from 1979.

I never got to own one because I could not afford it, instead I was given one cheapo Aiwa version several years later. I seldom used it so gave it away later on … 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Site engineering equipment. Been around for an age but the handsets are running Windows 10, lightening quick, tell where am I in a heartbeat, setting holding down bolts out, level etc etc all to within 1mm with just 1 man required. Me taking that on board and learning how to use one in a week saved on a site engineer at 2.5k a week, which has all just contributed to my christmas bonus.

lovewookie

Earlier this week was the last time. not exactly amazed, but utterly impressed it works.

Via college, my 17 year old daughter with ASD now has an app called ‘Brain in Hand’. We’d heard about it through her previous school so were quite excited to actually gat funds to get it for her.

Essentially it’s a ‘how do you feel today’ app, with some scenarios in there, like ‘my bus is late’ and potential solutions. all of which are backed by a traffic light system. This is great as it means she can self manage, not have to text us ever time or rely in college services and gives her a better sense of independence (the important bit).

It also asks you to check in how you’re feeling (green, amber or red) every hour or so.

What we didn’t realise is that the traffic light system is backed up by on call councilling service. So, when things were a bit stressful earlier in the week, she was feeling amber. after three ambers she immediately gets a text, asking if everything is ok. She texts back thinking it’s an automated reply and gets a human response and a few tips on ow to manage and guide her to feeling better.

Yesterday was a rubbish day, she pressed red and got a text asking if they could call her and she could speak. she couldn’t, but they talked her through how she was feeling via text and get her to a place where she could manage to get on the bus home, and checked in with her that she’d made it.

There are two things that are just damn awesome about this, the first is the service itself, the second is that my daughter has adoped it very naturally.

very very cool.

avdave2

Just got some directional HDMI cables, very impressive.

richmars

Another vote for drones (or more correctly, quad-rotor). I know about GPS, but to see is float stationary in a 10m/s wind is pretty impressive.
    (I know it was a 10m/s wind because that’s how fast it started to move when I turned the GPS bit off, displayed in real time on a tablet 100m away.)

jimdubleyou

Although, asking her to play UK Radio X on TuneIn is ridiculous. She says ‘Ok, asking to play music’ and then plays a Lebanese station. Every time.

You have to ask Alexa for “Radio X UK”. Might be the same for google…

kjcc25
    Free Member

Not sure about being amazed I was certainly shocked when Google sent me a monthly timeline with everywhere I’d been the previous month, the route I’d taken, mode of transport, times and dates and then linked in photographs I had taken.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Not impressed by technology at all, my usual response seems to be, is that all it is? Progress and development is way too slow and ponderous! I have a 10 year old laptop that isn’t completely out performed by new ones, imagine comparing that to one from 1994 with a 2004 model!?

Drac

My Echo Dot after I bought a Bluetooth receiver to plug into my old sound system. Now I just tell Alexa to reconnect and what to play, no need to pick up my phone. She also turns the light on too.

fifeandy
    Free Member

The new oscilloscope at work decodes serial data for me – no more manually decoding messages 1 bit at a time 🙂

Google maps travel planning is pretty cool too – tell it where/when you want to go, and it’ll not only give you directions by car, but can now link up public transport routes and provides links to the service providers for booking tickets

darrell
    Free Member

last time I was amazed – probably playing street fighter on the SNES

tops5
    Free Member

saved on a site engineer at 2.5k a week, which has all just contributed to my christmas bonus.

2.5k a week???? Time I dusted my level book off! 😯

richardk
    Free Member

I saw a bloke stood outside a reversing car on Tuesday, he was staring at his phone. Didn’t seem that monumental until the car locked and the bloke walked off… He’d been reverse parking his Tesla using a phone app. I had to do some thinking before i got my head around that, and it still amazes me now

bigdaddy

Lovewookie, that app sounds amazing! I worked in Autism services for a long time and would’ve loved to have had something like that to support people!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Pretty much everyday I am shocked by how good software is at making things easier.
    I still am amazed that I can take RAW files on my camera, tweak them on my iPad and send them to the office via an EE mobile hotspot.

mikey74
    Free Member

It kinda amazes me every time I build a 3D model. Rendering is pretty impressive too.

CraigW
    Free Member

Quadcopters. Can fly half a mile away, with a live stream from the camera to my phone. Then press a button for return to home, and it flies back again, and lands on the exact spot where it started from.

MicroSD cards. Smaller than my fingernail, and can store about 50000 songs or photos etc. My first digital camera only had a 2MB memory card…

franksinatra

Not impressed by technology at all, my usual response seems to be, is that all it is? Progress and development is way too slow and ponderous! I have a 10 year old laptop that isn’t completely out performed by new ones, imagine comparing that to one from 1994 with a 2004 model!?

Why would you expect massive developments in laptops? I rarely use mine nowadays, entirely as a result of other developments in phones / tablets etc. With development of cloud technology the laptop is increasingly just a screen and keyboard

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yup Chromebook FTW.

lovewookie

Lovewookie, that app sounds amazing! I worked in Autism services for a long time and would’ve loved to have had something like that to support people

It really is. If I’d have had that when I was younger I’d have probably developed better coping mechanisms than I do now!

It’s such a relief to myself and Mrs Wookie having something that works and allows us to relax a bit (just a bit mind..)

scud
    Free Member

I do get a little worried by tech sometimes, i changed my surname when i was 20 back to my mum’s maiden name as i hadn’t seen my dad for years and was not close to his side of the family at all, so it seemed right thing to do. I am now 42, so that was 22 years ago.

Was on Facebook recently and it came up with one of those adverts for a Sweatshirt with “Greenhill Clan” or similar on it, this was my surname 22 years ago before the internet actually worked and Facebook was a dream, still don’t know how it knew that as i haven’t used that name on any form or document for all that time

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘When was the last time technology truly amazed you?’ is closed to new replies.