When to ride, before or after 12 hour shift?

Home Forum Bike Forum When to ride, before or after 12 hour shift?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • When to ride, before or after 12 hour shift?
  • loddrik

Also work 12 hour shifts from time to time. No way I would want to go riding after. Before would be fine as long as you have access to a shower at work.

matty456

Think you are right, just finished shift now and feeling pretty zonked! I drive to work anyway so ride would be from home and back again.

chr15

Surely during would be the best time…?

Kato

Before. I have no motivation to ride after a 12 hour stint

matty456

I work 7pm to 7am (nights) 4 on and 4 off. I want to get in some extra rides and thought about riding or even running before or after my shift. Any pos or neg points to consider?

MicArms

Commute, problem solved.

hambl90

I also work 7 til 7 nights and I prefer riding after my shift.

emac65

Worked nightshifts for over 20 years & before always works best for me.5-6 hrs sleep then get a ride in,I have found is it’s best to keep them short & sharp,saving the bigger rides for the weekend or for when you a more normal sleep patern

zerocool

I work 4 on 4 off and find that trying to ride after my to night shifts is a real struggle (I commute by bike to work)and if I want to go for an MTB ride I really suffer post shift. So I always try to get my rides in after a decent sleep but before work.

bellys

I also work 12 shifts tryed to ride MTb after work one night and it killed me never tryed since.just wait for my days. Off.

fontmoss

Before (although never done it) as after 12/13 hours my brain and eyes are on shutdown

Premier Icon hairyscary
    Subscriber

Before for me. I feel like death warmed up if I try and ride after a night shift.

Saccades

I used to meet up with lads at 10am after a night shift, drive to where ever we were meeting once the shift had ended and lie down and have a kip for 2 1/2 hours or so (work is in the middle of the mtn’s). I found a comfy wooly hat invaluable for the colder mornings.

it’s ok, but not great – certainly felt a bit ropey when going back into work that evening. But it would be the only opportunity to get out with the lads so…

before I hated as I’d be thinking about work too much and knowing I had to finish at the right time to get there.

julianwilson

uuurgh, definitely before a night shift: I am well rubbish afterwards!

matty456

On shift now, riding at weekend, makes sense to ride after sleeping and before work. Thanks for the feedback.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

I used to do 7-7 nights, an extended ride home set me up for a good days sleep. Nowadays after a hard day at work a long ride home rejuvenates me and I feel less zombified than if I’d got the train home. Dunno if this still works with physical jobs tho. I can’t get up on time as it is so long rides before work are not really doable, would probably over do it anyway and be falling asleep at work

Premier Icon althepal
    Subscriber

Done both.. Before obv easier, riding home is a bastard. Especially as the last 3 miles is a very loong uphill.
    Not sure if it’s bad for you doing any sort of exercise when your body is fatigued by 12 hours of work? Surely that can’t be good for you? Unless you’re some kind of endurance god- type and everythings training!

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Not sure if it’s bad for you doing any sort of exercise when your body is fatigued by 12 hours of work?

none active job, just mentally fatigued at end of day which physical workout can bring you out off, wouldn’t try it if I was digging roads allday

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘When to ride, before or after 12 hour shift?’ is closed to new replies.