Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • When to go to A&E
  • DavidB
    Free Member

About 1.5 weeks ago I fell off my bike in a comedy not being able to unclip manner on a steep hill.

I may have put my right arm out to save myself.

The weekend after I gardened like a mad thing, loads of chopping and hefting bags etc.. That evening my wrist hurt a lot. Since then I’ve done quite a few bike rides and the wrist seems to hurt changing gear but is basically OK. There is a small lump still and rotational movements are *slightly* annoying.

My wife keeps banging on about going to A&E. But I don’t like causing a fuss. Will they get massive arse if I only have a sprain or should I get down there and get X-rayed? Surely if I can ride a bike with it off road, it can’t be broken?

scotroutes

Is there a Minor Injuries Clinic nearby?

althepal

Minors as above- a lot of a and es might have one that they would triage you into anywsys?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lifer
    Free Member

Get to A&E

yunki
    Free Member

go and get it checked..

Just tell them that it’s not right and ask if they can take a look, what’s the worst that can happen..?

I’ll tell you what the worst that can happen is..
    You injure yourself, and it’s pretty sore, but decide that you can carry on and MTFU..

2 and a half years later and the injury is still giving you tons of grief, only the doctors can’t precisely identify the problem as anything that may have occurred has healed and can’t be seen on a scan or x-ray, or maybe it simply hasn’t healed correctly for one reason or another, maybe you needed a course of physio so you’ve now got a shortened or lengthened ligament perhaps, and you’re basically lumbered for the rest of your life with a sore joint or bone or tendon that can and does prevent you from riding half or even a quarter as much as you’d like..

I wouldn’t recommend it

I_Ache
    Free Member

Go to a&e. Last year I broke my leg and thought it was just a sprain so didn’t get it looked at properly. 5 months of riding later I get it looked at properly to find that I broke it and it needed operating on. Its now buggered.

Get it checked out properly and insist on an x-ray.

No point going to minor injuries when its internal, they won’t have any scanning equipment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Surely if I can ride a bike with it off road, it can’t be broken?

Exactly thats why A&E are binning X Ray machines and installing skills loops….

Minor injuries is where you need to be if there is one, after that A&E may triage you so pick a quiet time and take a book. NHS Direct (or whatever it is now) may be able to direct you to the right place.
    Failing that GP

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Get to A&E and get them to X ray it just to be on the safe side. Although Hopefully your experience is better than mine.

“Ooooooooooh its just a sprain Mr Gardner” 12 weeks later a, nwb for 4 weeks, 8 weeks in a Hinged brace and Physio twice a week for 3 weeks and its just about ready for work.

paladin

I hurt my wrist 2 years ago, went to gp, he said ‘its not broken, its just sore.’

Was due to go offshore so employer suggested I get it xrayed, so went to a&e and came out with a cast on for my broken scaphoid.

globalti
    Free Member

A&E is for accidents and emergencies, not long-term injuries FFS! It may have escaped your notice but Britain’s A&E departments are clogged to crisis point with people who could be waiting until next morning and going to see their GP, which is making those who have suffered accidents wait in pain for three to four hours to be seen.

I am simply staggered that people on here think it’s OK to go bothering the A&E staff SEVERAL DAYS afrer a minor accident! I thought STW readers had more sense!

If you’ve lived with it until now and even chopped wood it’s clearly not an emergency.

hora
    Free Member

A&E. If you went to your Docs too tgey advise you to A&E just after they’ve said ‘it’ll probably be ok’.

The NHS is there for a reason.

cloudnine
    Free Member

If it’s hurting a lot as you described get it looked at in ae.. could easily be a fractured scaphoid which can easily be confused with a sprained wrist in pain terms. Take a book or iPad for the waiting room.

hora
    Free Member

Whatever you do DONT say its a bike injury. Say you tripped and fell.

Drac

Minor injuries unit if you have one as it’s over a week old and tell them how you did it don’t lie as it doesn’t help with them being able to diagnose it.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Go to the gp. They can refer you directly for x-rays.

jonba
    Free Member

Do you have walk in clinics. My wife went to the one in Newcastle a week after having her foot trod on by a horse*. They were in the same hospital so she was referred for xray immediately.

*the week delay was due to location issues, she was in the middle of nowhere so the local hospital was a helicopter evac. and big insurance claim away. She thought she’d just bruised it but it didn’t stop hurting. She broke one of the bones can’t remember which.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for minor injuries unit. They see this sort of thing all day every day. Much better than going to a GP or wasting resources at A&E

I had the same experience as paladin. Several visits to various GPs until I got referred to xray, eventually ending up with surgery years later. This time I went to minor injuries. Xray and diagnosis straight away.

Lifer
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Whatever you do DONT say its a bike injury. Say you tripped and fell.

Why?

paladin

Not everywhere has minor injuries departments. We certainly don’t.

Drac

hora
    Free Member

Why? A ex-Rugby playing Physiotherapist and a Triage Nurse told me. The Triage nurse told me (in private) that certain sports injuries can be classed as ‘self-inflicted’. So if you’ve got a fall down the stairs/trip and a gnarl-fest steed riding 6 grand fro-rider, the innocent fallee’ goes first 😆 Why self-inflicted? You put yourself in harms way/know the risks so you can wait.

I’m not being overly negative(!) on the above graphic but where does someone draw the line? Its difficult for a non-professional and even professionals can be surprised no?

Say flu-like symptoms with a small infant/child? Some of the criteria ticked but not all? I_ache’s situation with his ‘sprain’? It might create ‘more work’ however if there wasn’t that many people coming through they’d be job cuts on the front line as there wouldn’t that much of a need? More people would go to GP’s – overloading them?

ANOTHER thread topic but target bloody alcohol related injuries and CHARGE £100+VAT for each admission.

warton
    Free Member

Exactly thats why A&E are binning X Ray machines and installing skills loops….

😀

find your nearest walk in clinic and get it checked out

Drac

Either you are they are talking shite Hora. The cause is not an issue we need to know as I’ve already mentioned for accurate diagnosis.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not everywhere has minor injuries departments. We certainly don’t.

There should be one pretty close. There is one in Elgin. Its a great service that should be publicised more to free up A&E

br
    Free Member

A&E is for accidents and emergencies, not long-term injuries FFS! It may have escaped your notice but Britain’s A&E departments are clogged to crisis point with people who could be waiting until next morning and going to see their GP, which is making those who have suffered accidents wait in pain for three to four hours to be seen.

Have you actually tried to get an appointment at your GP? This is why A&E are ‘clogged’.

I fell off about 2 months ago, it still hurt the next day so popped into A&E after dropping my son at school. I was the only one there.

Saw the Triage Nurse, then Doctor. X-Ray’d and sent on my way within the hour. Turned out I’d separated my A-C.

Stoner
    Free Member

According to the woman interviewed on the Today Programme this morning, a fungal nail infection would appear to be sufficiently serious to go to A&E….

globalti
    Free Member

Have you actually tried to get an appointment at your GP?

Yes, I can ring my GP and get an appointment for the same afternoon or the next day. Recently I saw my GP about knee pain and she sent me to the new walk-in centre in the town for an x-ray; I turned up, parked, took the lift straight up to Reception and was seen by a friendly radiographer within 15 minutes. No need to clog up A&E.

hora
    Free Member

Docs “Is it an emergency”

Erm

“The earliest appointments that we have are for next week/end of week is that ok”

Ah ok.

“You could always go to your nearest walk in centre (closed down) or A&E”

Drac

According to the woman interviewed on the Today Programme this morning, a fungal nail infection would appear to be sufficiently serious to go to A&E….

That’s a serious condition compared to what others go in with.

Have you actually tried to get an appointment at your GP? This is why A&E are ‘clogged’.

It doesn’t help but neither does going to A&E with minor injuries.

So the nearest one closed down Hora, where is the next nearest?

mulv1976
    Free Member

This + a million

I thought STW readers had more sense!

Lol

unklehomered
    Free Member

Go to the gp. They can refer you directly for x-rays.

This…

GP, NHS direct, Minor injuries clinic.

samuri
    Free Member

Can you make your own way to A&E?

You probably don’t need A&E then.

James Herriot once said that if he couldn’t catch an animal he was supposed to be looking at, it was probably not that bad. I’d like to see that sort of system implemented in hospitals.

Cougar

Sounds a bit Benny Hill to me.

paladin

nickjb – Member

There should be one pretty close. There is one in Elgin. Its a great service that should be publicised more to free up A&E

It certainly should be publicised more, as I’m 5 miles from Elgin and never heard of it! Where is it?

Trekster

Drac – Moderator
    Minor injuries unit if you have one as it’s over a week old and tell them how you did it don’t lie as it doesn’t help with them being able to diagnose it.

First thing our A&E ask 🙄
    Being in the centre of 3 Stanes it’s not surprising

mulv1976
    Free Member

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22529561

As well as highlighting the workforce problem, the college also said more needed to be done to reduce unnecessary attendances.

It believes between 15% and 30% of patients do not need A&E care and instead could be treated in non-emergency settings.

hora
    Free Member

Stop railing against people in general. Not everyone who walks into A&E is a timewaster are they?

I’ve got an eye infection for a few days, I’ve used Brolene. My next stop is the GP.

Stop muddling up what I’m saying with bloody timewasters. Some people (including one mod) seem to be angry/wound up and venting. Chill FFS.

binners

ANOTHER thread topic but target bloody alcohol related injuries and CHARGE £100+VAT for each admission.

Will you be the one at the door, telling the pissed up people you want £100 before you’ll let them in? 😀

totalshell

ffs its more than a week a go it folks like you blocking up a and e that is literally killing folk..

go see your gp they ll make the best decsion.

samuri
    Free Member

It believes between 15% and 30% of patients do not need A&E care and instead could be treated in non-emergency settings.

I’d put that figure much higher myself. Last time we were there (with my wife who was constantly vomiting and screaming in pain with a stomach problem), a succession of people who looked just fine got treated in front of her. There was one girl with a black eye and another guy with a little bandage on his finger.

Once their major issues had been sorted we were in! Only 6 hours. Brilliant!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘When to go to A&E’ is closed to new replies.