• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • When to go back to training after a bout of flu?
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

So I’m starting to feel a little better today after a week in bed with a lovely dose of seasonal flu. So as per title when is it safe to start training again? One if my clients who is a retired doctor suggested a minimum of three weeks but that would drive me crazy. Anyone got any real world experiences/advice?

lazybike
    Free Member

Yeah…it’s a tricky one to judge, I normally leave it till I feel like I want to train, rather than go out just because I feel I should.

scaredypants

depends – what do you mean by “flu” and what do you mean by “training” ?

scotroutes

I had something that wasn’t flu but made me feel unwell enough that I gave up 3 weeks worth of cycling.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

If it was actual flu I’d be doing what the retired doctor told me.

RoterStern
    Free Member

depends – what do you mean by “flu” and what do you mean by “training” ?

Although I didn’t actually go and see my GP (I was feeling too unwell and they were on holiday anyway) I had the classic virus symptoms … came very suddenly and I had a week of high temp, muscle aches, headaches and blocked nose etc. Training would mean 12+ hours per week.

Drac

Although I didn’t actually go and see my GP (I was feeling too unwell and they were on holiday anyway) I had the classic virus symptoms … came very suddenly and I had a week of high temp, muscle aches, headaches and blocked nose etc.

You’ve had a cold.

My experience of Flu meant a few month off the bike and a few more to regain my fitness.

tjagain

Wot drac says. flu is a serious illness that is quite unusual ( IMO – I have never seen anyone get it) You have had a nasty cold, another week off perhaps thenbuild up slowly and do not over do it.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’m no expert Drac but there are varying degrees of severity of flu, aren’t there? I also forgot to mention the repeated sneezing and feeling very fatigued. Maybe it was only just a cold but definitely the worst one I can remember ever having.

shermer75
    Free Member

Graded return to activity is your friend here.

About when to start: Today. But you may need to adjust your perception of training. If you’ve been bed bound for a week then today might just be walking about the house. Tomorrow might be a walk to the shops and back. The day after that may be walking to the shops and also a walk around the park, and so on. The best person to judge how much you do is you, the idea being that you do more each day without knackering yourself out so much that end up doing less the next day, that is just goung backwards.

So: judge each day’s level of activity with what you did the day before, not with when you were at peak fitness (obvious I know, but everyone does it!! 🙂 )

Enjoy! 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

My experience of Flu meant a few month off the bike and a few more to regain my fitness

+1 I have only had Flu once about 15 yrs ago. I remember it well and it started the day I finished work for 3 weeks off over Christmas when my children were small. We had plans and where excited to have such a large chunk on uninterupted time as a family. For the first 10+ days I could barely walk to the toilet, it was all a horrible daze and I have never had anything even remotely similar since, although I have had my share of heavy colds etc. I can see how people die from “Flu” and it irritates me when people complain at every sniffle that they have “Flu”
    Had it once and never want the experience again.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Neck rule comes into play here i think.
    If any symptoms below the neck, stay off the bike.
    If all symptoms above the neck then probably safe to restart low intensity work.
    Only restart high intensity work when symptoms are clear and you are feeling rested/fresh and motivated for it.

allthepies
    Free Member

What are you training for ?

RoterStern
    Free Member

What are you training for ?

MTB racing season(marathons) with some road races and a 24 hour randonee in June. 🙂

Drac

It may have been flu but it tends to pretty nasty, a heavy cold will make you feel run down and unwell with viral fatigue. I didn’t get much sneezing with the flu I was asleep for a week and zombified for a week or 2 after that.

TiRed

So I’m starting to feel a little better today after a week in bed with a lovely dose of seasonal flu

Your doctor friend is not wrong. You won’t lose much fitness after three weeks, but coming back early will just make you feel rubbish. Been there after swine flu. Couldn’t contemplate a bike commute, let alone training, for two weeks.

Just don’t.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat. Was ill for a week then thought I’d get out on the bike last weekend. Two hours on the bike on the Saturday seemed fine no ill effects. Did the same on Sunday thinking I’ve cracked this. What a mistake that night I had a total relapse hot sweats delirious crap heavy cold back with a vengeance. Now starting to recover a bit again but don’t want to make the same mistake again.

Think I’ll go back to work tomorrow but won’t cycle commute till mid week. Then may get an easy ride in next weekend and take it from there. It’s the worst cold I’ve ever had.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Fever and muscle aches sounds more like flu than a cold to me. Especially if there’s also a lingering cough. But of course severity differs from case to case. I’d say start gently with light exercise whenever you feel up to it, don’t be surprised if you are much slower than you expect. Don’t do anything hard until your just riding along speed/distance is back to normal(ish). You may well end up knackered and back in bed if you overdo things.

legend
    Free Member

repeated sneezing

Not convinced this isn’t trolling! Either that or I get the flu every time someone cuts the grass

Drac

Signs and symptoms, which can vary from person to person, might include:
    Runny or stuffy nose.
    Sore throat.
    Cough.
    Congestion.
    Slight body aches or a mild headache.
    Sneezing.
    Low-grade fever.
    Generally feeling unwell (malaise)

some or all of these symptoms:
    Fever* or feeling feverish/chills.
    Cough.
    Sore throat.
    Runny or stuffy nose.
    Muscle or body aches.
    Headaches.
    Fatigue (tiredness)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘When to go back to training after a bout of flu?’ is closed to new replies.