Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • When to give up?
  • leftyboy
    Free Member

Had another fairly bad injury in June, see some of my other posts for details but in a nutshell I’m waiting on surgery to fix a swollen bursa and a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I’ll hold my hand up, my right one, that I’ve damaged my self a lot in the past due to over confidence, lack of skill, stupidity and general bad judgement BUT this time a bike failure high sided me and wrecked my shoulder.

I’m 51 and been riding a bike of some sort since I was about 12 and trying to keep up with better riders since I was about 14 so this is a serious question – when should I give up and take up knitting or something safer than that?

My wife, her friends, most of my relatives all think I should give up. My riding buddies are all saying don’t but they go significantly faster without me even though I started our small village group around 10 years ago.

aracer
    Free Member

Give up doing silly things which result in you injuring yourself. Perfectly feasible to ride bikes without crashing, even if that does mean giving up trying to keep up with better riders.

badnewz
    Free Member

Take some skills courses or do less extreme rides, but don’t give up, oohh, don’t give up.

righog
    Free Member

Don’t give up, rest up, heal take it easier when you get back riding.

Perhaps the Gravel thing might be a better fit for you ?

garage-dweller

My thoughts for what they are worth and in no particular order…

1) skills course given your comments get your skills to match your confidence
    2) if they’re good riding mates chances are they won’t mind waiting for a regroup at the top/bottom of a hill if you’re easing off the gas a bit (the main group I ride with has a very mixed skill/fitness level but everyone’s ok with that most of the time)
    3) better to slow down than give up
    4) slowing down a bit and focussing on technique and lines could allow you to build the speed back up without the crashes
    5) don’t give up – unless it’s not fun any more

Power is nothing without control.

chewkw
    Free Member

No need to give up if you don’t go all silly.

You definitely do not want to break any part of your body at this age coz the healing time will be long …

Bunnyhop

Second “don’t give up”.
    I’ve suffered several injuries over the last 3 years. Last year I was told not to mtb anymore, gosh I was miserable.
    After watching the amazing Martyn Ashton, I decided sod this for a game of soldiers.
    Getting back on my mtb was utterly amazing.
    I’m slow, unfit and have mega confidence issues, meaning I have to walk down descents I’ve ridden many times.
    It doesn’t matter. Just ride.

Find a new group to ride with. Go on a skills course (as mentioned above).
    Ride because you love it and because you can.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get a good physio.
    Go see Jedi.
    Get fitter and stronger.

sparksmcguff

Never give up. But the advice up there seems sound. Very wise words from bunnyhop.

Totally feel for you with a torn rotator cuff (am still recovering from a broken arm at the shoulder after a fall in September, may still need an op). Zwift and a static bike have helped me with recovery.

TiRed

Try different cycling. I road ride and use off road as a rare treat. I don’t try and shred the gnarr and like to keep my wheels on the ground. A drop off is what you do with the kids at a nursery 🙂 , I just enjoy every ride for what it is. Took my nephew out on his first red route today. Of course I could have gone faster harder etc… but on my sister old hardrock rigid, the satisfaction of getting him round safely was all I needed.

And I know how to hurt myself cycling. Recovery does take longer at our age.

makkag
    Free Member

I fractured my spine getting a 30 ft gap a bit wrong in May being off the bike was as cranky as I’ve ever been . Made it back for morzine end of August .changed my riding stayed away from the high risk lines park and features and found some wonderful riding with some of the best rides of my life . Change your riding limit the risk keep having fun

leftyboy
    Free Member

All good stuff thanks, I’m certainly going to attempt carry on. I’ve already backed off so when i crashed in June I was at BPW and had survived the day riding mostly blues with a couple of reds. I was feeling rubbish and had no flow so I was not pushing hard but a suspension failure on the access track back to the cafe was what caused my current injury.

Will probably do a skills course but I already know my limits are lower than 5 years ago, my riding buddies will tolerate me being slow and 30+ years of riding do mean I can be off the bike for a period and it doesn’t take long (but does involve pain) to get back on the tail of the group. My 50th birthday year I was outpacing a 38 year old ‘fitter’ guy up and down our local (not super technical) trails but last year I had extra stuff going on at work and home which affected my riding.

Static trainer is coming in the New Year when I’ve decluttered my garage a bit!

Surgery is irritating because my, private, physio is ex orthopedics department physio and told them i needed surgery back in Sept but I had to go through a long process of assessment and reviews etc. Seeing surgeon on the 9th Jan so hoping to be back on the bike by April with an expectation of getting back to some fitness by June(ish).

Thanks all – I mostly just wanted positive thoughts saying “Don’t give up!”

ton

never ever give up cycling.

3 surgeries in 4 years. open heart surgery, fixed a hernia and a fused ankle now, learning to walk and cycle again at present.

when i die, i want to be riding up a nice gentle climb, in the afternoon sun, after a nice pint or 2.

keep on keeping on.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do not give up but ride within your capabilities. As you get older your reactions get slower so you can’t compensate for screw ups as quickly.

(This is 1st hand fact BTW) 🙄

leftyboy
    Free Member

Thanks all, @ton always expected to die on my bike but liking the image of doing so

riding up a nice gentle climb, in the afternoon sun

hopefully when I’m well over 70!

iainc

OP, same age and similar situation here. Currently recovering from 3rd bike related hospital ambulance trip in 4 years and friends are all saying same thing. For sure I am slowing up a bit, less time in air, more time enjoying it, probably walk down a few more of the scary bits. Even my GP asked me the other week if I would consider less risky pastimes !

New FS ordered yesterday, not stopping until I have to, but certainly doing it a bit differently. Had a skills course a few yrs back to get rid of demons after first face shape changing knockout crash….. definitely money well spent. Other crashes were less my skills shortage, more circumstances

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’m 51… – when should I give up?

Only 51? I didn’t take up mountain biking til I was 51 😀

jonnyboi

Endurance is one of the last things you lose, maybe switch from the gnar to more XC/gravel events? Tons of fun, a new scene and excuse for N+1

Alternatively there are loads of masters road races, but those guys are super fit!

aracer
    Free Member

On the age thing, FWIW I’m only 46 but currently regularly inline/roller skating with a couple of over 50s. We haven’t injured ourselves (yet), but there’s certainly a risk of that and I’m sure most people would think it’s the sort of mad thing people getting on a bit shouldn’t be doing – as far as we’re concerned it’s what stops us getting old!

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

After about 8 months off work in the space of 2 years recovering from different crashes and operations i said to my gp that i should pack in the mtb. her reply was,we can mend bones easier than your heart and lungs, carry on, just try and stay on the bike a bit more often. 😀 49 years old

leffeboy

Start yet another group but a more mellow one. As I get older I tend to migrate from the faster mid week rides to the more mellow sat ones. Have just as much fun if not a bit more as I am no longer hanging grimly on at the back

Never stop

BigJohn

Don’t give up doing daft stuff just because you’re getting old. You get old because you stop doing daft stuff.

63 here and just got back from a beer fueled solo 8 mile off road night ride.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Just buy a new bike

akira

No good riding mates ever mind waiting for a bit, chance to chat and slag each other off. I’d say try something different, maybe persuade your mates to race or do mountain mayhem. Same fun but different vibe.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s a change of mindset. I took up mountain biking at 29, so thankfully the worst of my exuberance was behind me.

But even since then, I’ve changed my outlook somewhat – the need to constantly compete against myself, to take unwarranted risks has faded, to be replaced by something else – I love being outside on my bike. I get my hardcore workouts and endorphin fix at the gym.

I can still ride fast – faster than my nineteen year old, gym-addicted stepson – but there’s something else other than pushing the envelope all the time that draws me back.

So, in summary, buy a new bike!

Squirrel

Ton is so right. Again 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m 53 and have no intention of giving up, damn it I only really started 10 years ago. I have no acl in either knee so God knows what a big big stack do. My riding tends to reflect that, bikes with good brakes and mates with paitience are required. I am generally on ibuprofen before a ride. Work on your rehab and physio, maybe wear a compression shirt with some padding (661?) or some other brace. Maybe slow down a bit ? XC or a bit of CX (slow though 😉 )

Cougar

takisawa2

Might be time to buy a Five.
    And some of those air-bag motorcyclist clothes from the Unilad Facebook videos.
    I’ve grown my own.

walleater

BigJohn is being modest. He’s actually 93.

But yeah, use it or lose it as the saying goes. Although I should apply that to my brain…..

hairylegs
    Free Member

As everyone else has said, keep going! Dial in your expectations a little bit more.

Read a short article on Ned Overend in another (lesser!?) MTB publication about riding in your 60’s. Worth a peek maybe:

MBR January 2017

thecaptain
    Free Member

I haven’t fallen heavily in years. Still go as fast as I can uphill but dial things down a bit on the descents. Makes them last longer!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

56 (today) with not enough skills, only started 10 years ago, and poor at learning them.
    Been there after hurting myself again.
    I have stopped doing any jumps or anything risky about 3 months ago, now more pootling in the woods gently.
    Adjusting has been difficult. I might end up walking away from 2 wheels totally, and get my views and camaraderie walking.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Go see Jedi. Do not pass go, do not collect £200.

Even if you don’t go faster, you’ll be more confident and safer in the speeds you do now, and might avoid crashing in those hair raising situations we all find ourselves in now and again!

Go touring, nice and easy cycling and so satisfying in a completely different way.

Anyone who thinks of giving up cycling due to obstacles in their way I think should have to get permission from Martyn Ashton. If your excuse is good enough for him then its ok to walk away. I would pay good money for a 5 min ride with him, it’d stop me whining and making excuses like I do!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Would an ebike be classed as giving up? It will certainly keep you in the group up the hills, leaving you with more energy for the fun stuff going down. I found I made mistakes and crashed due to fatigue more than lack of skill.

jimmy

We don’t give up because we get old, we get old because we give up.

Or something.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

her reply was,we can mend bones easier than your heart and lungs, carry on, just try and stay on the bike a bit more often.

(Wild applause)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Never give up.

You’ll be dead soon enough, fancy the thought of a wasted life?

Hmm.. thought not.

mikedabear
    Free Member

First rule of MTB is ride within your limits.
    To much emphasis is put on getting air and being rad. If you dial in your cornering, pumping and braking skills you will start to flow. To flow along a trail with good technique is very satisfying.
    Don’t worry about your mates, they are enjoying themselves which is what you should be doing.

Go see Jedi.

An excellent bit of advice.

mikedabear
    Free Member

http://www.imbikemag.com/mountain-bike-news/2015/10/over-the-hill/
    Two good quotes from the above clip.
    “When I leave the house I make sensible decisions”
    “Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘When to give up?’ is closed to new replies.