When to change brake pads?

Home Forum Bike Forum When to change brake pads?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • When to change brake pads?
  • Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

I’d be looking to change them or, at the very least, carry a spare pair. If the pads go completely you risk damaging your rotors..

Muke

When you see sparks they need changing 😉

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

when you hear the spring get mangled against the discs is a good time.

You do always care spare pads don’t you?

of the correct type?

for the bike you are actually riding now?

jolly good.

emac65

I always carry a spare set & sometimes they’re even the right ones for the bike I’m riding !

Either way I rarely change them till they’re on the metal anyway,unless I’ve got an epic or event to do..Rotors are pretty tough & can stand a bit of metal on metal now ‘n again…..

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

You get a feel for how long they last… I run mine pretty close because I’m a skinflint, 1mm is still a third of their life in my book. But you lose all the margin for error, it’s a bit like deciding to go to the bathroom because your feet are wet :mrgreen:

New ones have about 3mm of ‘pad’ old ones have about 1mm. Is it time to change or can I wait a bit?

PS cheap mechanical brakes on a bike used by a newbie for XC rides. Pads are about 350 miles ‘old’ if any of that has any relevance

fandango

At 1mm I’d make sure I have spare set to hand and check after each ride. Perfectly fine to ride with 1mm of pad

Trimix

When you find yourself 20 foot deep in the bushes at the apex of a DH corner, thats when you change them.

patriotpro

As above – use but check after or before every ride and carry spares.

It’ll be fiiiiine.

Mister P

Preferably before you wear through the backing plate of the pad and have the pistons contacting the rotor. I have seen this, how on earth the chap didn’t realise the horrible noise when braking was a bad thing I have no idea.

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

before you wear through the backing plate of the pad and have the pistons contacting the rotor. I have seen this, how on earth the chap didn’t realise the horrible noise when braking was a bad thing I have no idea.

😯

YJCMTSU! 😆

bland

Let the backing plate clean your rotor and then bung some new ones In

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I discovered at the Dudes Enduro last year that Formula The Ones with superstar pads have first class backing-plate braking performance. Apparently Hope don’t perform as well when you get down to the metal-on-metal.

I was expecting some comments on how running them until they are to thin leads to a breakdown of the ‘pad’ and a sudden collapse of braking ability.

However, it sounds like I will carry on for now and see what happens. I have ordered two new sets and (based on comments above) will stick one set in my puncture repair kit so that they are on hand when I am out on the bike

I hardly use mine so never changed them. However, I have ‘heard’ that there is a little bit that pokes out of the spring retainer, this makes a ringing sound when it gets down to this, that signals it’s time to change the pads at your next opportunity, apparently…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘When to change brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.