Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • When rutting turns nasty
  • Premier Icon nicko74
    Free Member

how is this related to biking?!
    😉

Premier Icon samuri
    Free Member

It's Lanesra and Dr Dolittle

Premier Icon Heather Bash
    Free Member

Well, the Highland Glens are currently full of rutting stags and it is something that literally stops you in your tracks as you pedal through them.

Also, I aint obsessed with the latest piece of bling kit – just being in the hills and communing with nature are as much a part of the mountain bike experince to me as the riding itself.

Hope that answers yor question.

Premier Icon simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I saw a stag on Sunday:

Had I been more observant I could have seen it much closer 🙁

Free Member

I just heard the characteristic slapping sound of a swan landing on the canal outside my window. I looked out to see a juvenile swan (still half grey plumage) just landed. Then an adult landed behind and attacked it, pecking its neck, chasing it half flying, forcing it into the bank, while the juvenile screeched in terror (usually swans are silent). Eventually it pulled itself onto the bank, with the adult following, still pecking, but then they were then hidden by foliage. Some minutes later they swam off as if nothing had happened…

Premier Icon BigJohn

According to a mate who reckons to know, when cygnets get to that size, and are still grey, that's when they're best to eat.

Free Member

… and it must be dead easy to cut their throats 🙁

Premier Icon bialled_dikes
    Free Member

nature's cruel sometimes.

Premier Icon buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"just being in the hills and communing with nature are as much a part of the mountain bike experince to me as the riding itself"

yay!

There might be some red deer rutting going on in the Qs ATM. The roaring sounds is very eerie. So is coming across deer while night riding.

Free Member

So is coming across deer while night riding.

is that legal ? Will they hold steady ?

Premier Icon barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"I just heard the characteristic slapping sound of a swan landing on the canal outside my window."
    Simon, you are WH Auden and I claim my five pounds.

Premier Icon khegs
    Free Member

Well be careful on Exmoor, they have a 9ft tall stag somewhere there at the moment, and Red Deer are notoriously touchy in rutting season

Free Member

Simon, you are WH Auden and I claim my five pounds.

I think you mean I can complete a whole sentence without grammatical errors or typos which amounts to damning with feint praise…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘When rutting turns nasty’ is closed to new replies.