Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • When kitchens and cycling collide….
  • winston
    Free Member

Like half the forum (and the country) we are doing up our kitchen. As we are banging a wall or two (three) out it will mean that the kitchen and dining area will now be open up to the stairs which will give Kirsty and Phil a wow factor but will also stink out the whole flippin house…..

I have been looking at a good way to remove cooking smells and bearing in mind Sagan needs cheering up after todays Giro sprint I thought perhaps a Bora hob might be the way to sort it…

So does anyone have one?

The advertising speaks highly of them an all……

bensongd
    Free Member

I read this as kittens not kitchens.

martinhutch

I thought it was going to be an ‘I want N+1 but other half wants a new kitchen’ argument.

crapjumper
    Free Member

I was looking at these just last week . A mate of mine has a kitchen showroom in ormskirk and was showing me these because I was asking about options to reduce cooking smells . I’ve also taken an interior wall down and now I’m more aware of smells . He said out of all the available options that’s the one he’d recommend to me but they’re not cheap .

peekay

Will you get Building Control sign off if the kitchen opens on to a staircase?

Might not bother you, but if you ever try to sell then it may be an issue.

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ I was thinking the same – it won’t pass building regs by the sound of it.

martymac

I initially read the thread title as kittens too. I’ve been doing this a lot recently.

gordimhor

Ach I was hoping to find a convincing argument that storing bikes on the kitchen ceiling is an attractive and stylish solution

winston
    Free Member

@johndoh why won’t a bora hob pass regs?

simondbarnes

What’s wrong with stairs in a kitchen? My house is like that. Am I going to die?

winston
    Free Member

Building control should have no problem. Stairs open into dining area and its only a 2 story building.

grum
    Free Member

I know nothing about Bora hobs but I have used one of those pop-up extractor hood thingies and it seemed to work pretty well – acts as a splashback also.

dudeofdoom

Hmm well I managed to drop the bike and somehow one of the shifters on drops managed to chip the 6 month old German kitchen we’ve got.

Mrs DoD wasn’t that happy but a new towel rail should er hid the blemish.

Funny thing is I recently dropped a beer can whilst getting it out of the aforementioned German kitchen and it embedded itself in the Bosch fridge.

Only reason we didn’t go with a bora was cost and we’d set a limit.

Desire for jacuzzi ,swimming pool and refurbishment of our guest accommodation, sometimes you just can’t have everything. 🙂

thepurist

Dudeofdoom – we had a break in a year or so ago where some scrote threw half a brick through the kitchen window and it took lumps out of the drawers opposite and the floor. The insurance (pedalcover at the time) got a company called Plastic Surgeons in to do repairs, I was sceptical but it’s a good job on both – obvs will depend on who turns up, but possibly an alternative to covering it up.

https://www.plastic-surgeon.co.uk/

dudeofdoom

Ta, it’s a good idea. 🙂

bikebob

Can’t comment on Bora but we have induction with inset extractor. Was a bit wary due to cost. Ours works really well, much better than overhead unit in many ways. Not cheap but looks nice and very practical.
    Re building regs. As long as you have a door to separate the two floors you should be ok. If your making changes, they need to be to latest standards, our inspector was into everything.

winston
    Free Member

@bikebob what make is your extractor hob please?

As usual looking online it seems impossible to get clear objective reviews that are not written by either idiots who say things like ‘ Havnt tried it yet but it looks great’  or manufacturer biased reviews where its clear the equipment has been supplied or the sales guy has been on a freebie Bora weekend and is just regurgitating marketing spiel.

Arghhhh I would soon much rather be doing something else with my time

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘When kitchens and cycling collide….’ is closed to new replies.