Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • When is it legal to ride on the pavement?
  • psling
    Free Member

When a policeman tells you to?

So, was the officer of the law correct to direct chief whip ‘Fifty Shades’ Mitchell to leave the road with his bicycle and continue his journey on the pavement?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In tasmania.

Generally do what the copper asks. He probably had a good reason.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Does Downing Street have different rules to the rest of the UK?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Link??

rkk01
    Free Member

Heard this on the news this am, and rolled my eyes…

Another example of cyclists not being treated as other road users

rkk01
    Free Member

double post glitchy

nealglover
    Free Member

No.

Same as everywhere else, normal traffic laws can be broken when directed by a police officer.

footflaps

Still doesn’t excuse the guy being rude to the officers!

nealglover
    Free Member

Link ?

rkk01
    Free Member
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Story over nothing then.

brakes
    Free Member

:NEWSFLASH: Not newsworthy news deemed to be newsworthy :NEWSFLASH:

spacemonkey

I tow monkey jnr in his Croozer along several stretches of payment (usually A roads) when traffic is heavy. Plenty of coppers have buzzed passed without issue.

Speshpaul

i see mr whippy is going to apologise for not shouting or swearing at the police officer.

what are the chances of the tory chief whip being a cock?

D0NK

normal traffic laws can be broken when directed by a police officer.

if you say so but why was he directed to the pavement in the first place? Does sound a bit like

Another example of cyclists not being treated as other road users

but I’m not getting too worked up about it.

Still doesn’t excuse the guy being rude to the officers

true, sounds a bit of a nob purely for the “pleb” and “know your place” remarks but after the above ^^^ again I’m not going to get too worked up about it.

nealglover
    Free Member

No.

Same as everywhere else, normal traffic laws can be broken when directed by a police officer.

if you say so but why was he directed to the pavement in the first place?

No idea, as it doesn’t say why in the “News” report.

Maybe there was a good reason, maybe there wasn’t. But seriously, who cares ?

D0NK

Like I said I’m not getting worked up over it, however I’ve changed my mind, the whip bloke is a nob, question the policeman if you think he’s in the wrong but don’t get abusive.

psling
    Free Member

I imagine the good reason was that it’s easier to pop through the unlocked pedestrian gate at the side of the road than to have the main double security gates opened up by the police to let a bicycle pass. Would appear to be the easier option. Perhaps he’d had 1/ a stressful day at work, 2/ imbibed of Downing St hospitality, 3/ was full of dutch courage after spending time perusing STW 8)

TiRed

Apparently, the mere addition of one of these signs conveys legality to cycling on what is generally viewed as a pavement – irrespective of whether the pavement is suitable.

It is legal for children to ride on the pavement. It is also legal to ride on the pavement where one’s safety may otherwise be in danger, I believe.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve changed my mind, the whip bloke is a nob,

hold on a minute you once thought the Tory chief Whip was not a nob 😯

Shakes head in disbelief.

I also thought you could ride on the pavement if you deemed it to be safer to do this..is this true or urban legend?

legend
    Free Member

When is it legal to ride on the pavement?

Strava run

miketually
    Free Member

It is legal for children to ride on the pavement.

It isn’t. But if they’re under ten, they’re not legally responsible for their actions, their parents are. In theory, a parent could be fined for letting their 3-year-old ride on the pavement.

It is also legal to ride on the pavement where one’s safety may otherwise be in danger, I believe.

It’s still not legal, but police have been advised not to issue penalty notices in these circumstances, providing the cyclist is riding carefully.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ta

They have never said anything to me when I cycle to school with my kids

aracer
    Free Member

It is legal for children to ride on the pavement. It is also legal to ride on the pavement where one’s safety may otherwise be in danger, I believe.

Two myths. It is the case that it’s not possible to charge/prosecute a child under a certain age for riding on the pavement, but that’s because they’re under the age of criminal responsibility. If you’d be in danger riding on the road rather than the pavement, then that’s a defence which might help in court, but it doesn’t prevent you being prosecuted.

aracer
    Free Member

In theory, a parent could be fined for letting their 3-year-old ride on the pavement.

I don’t believe there’s a crime of aiding and abetting riding on the pavement or conspiracy to ride on the pavement is there? There are instances where parents can be fined for their children’s behaviour, but I’m fairly sure they’re for very specific things, usually involving ASBOs.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Give the guy a break. I suspect he just got a little carried away after watching the new series of ‘The Thick Of It’

julianwilson
    Free Member

legend – Member

When is it legal to ride on the pavement?

Strava run

😆

oliverd1981
    Free Member

There are stretches of pavement between the villages around here where I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single pedestrian. If these co-incide with a section of road where it’s likely that me and the motorists are going to start upsetting each other, I use them. Can’t see the 5’0 having any issues with people using a bit of common sense.

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t believe there’s a crime of aiding and abetting riding on the pavement or conspiracy to ride on the pavement is there? There are instances where parents can be fined for their children’s behaviour, but I’m fairly sure they’re for very specific things, usually involving ASBOs.

I’d always thought parents were legally liable for the actions of their underage children, but it looks like I was wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_infancy

ElVino

I would have thought being a nob would have been pretty high up on the list of desirable attributes for a Tory Chief Whip or indeed a whip of any party

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘When is it legal to ride on the pavement?’ is closed to new replies.