Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • When is an Ultegra Groupset not an Ultegra Groupset?
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

IMO when the only things on the bike which are 6800 are the levers and rear mech. Latest Planet X Pro Carbon is advertised as an Ultegra mix whereas most of the drivetrain inc wheels is SRAM and brakes are Tektro. Looks like a parts bin special and surely contrevenes some trades description rules? Discuss..
    linky

IHN

What did the detailed spec say?

IHN
    tomhoward

Does the description say it has an ultegra groupset, specifically? Or just that it has Ultegra parts?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Added the link, sorry. The detailled spec is correct, just feels wrong to advertise it as Ultegra with only 3 components that are 6800.They call it an Ultegra mix 😆

tomhoward

IHN, this one I think

Ultegra mix

IHN

Ah, this one

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/EBPXPC6800MIX/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-6800-mix-road-bike

It quite clearly says Ultegra mix, and states exactly what’s what.

Looks like a parts bin special

probably

and surely contrevenes some trades description rules?

don’t be daft

srshaw
    Free Member

Pretty common to do that most manufactures swap out the crank for a cheaper fsa one and the brakes on their cheaper models. As others have said, it clearly says ‘mix’. Indeed some do it at the top end, Cannondale cranks are probably better than shimano.

I’d personally be more bothered about it being all old out previous generation stuff. Having said that I’m sure it works fine.

thomthumb
    Free Member

meh – shifters + deraillers. close enough.

cranks are seemingly optional. as above plenty of shimano groupsets with BB30 cranks.

Seems odd to mix sram in on casette & chain. but it’ll function fine.

Specialized were terrible for this – check a xt/ ultegra level bike: it’d have a altus level cassette on. haven’t looked for a few years – might have changed.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s not even derailleurs though thomthumb, it’s only the rear which is Ultegra. The front is 105.

keir
    Free Member

Even a lot of supposedly “pure” groupset bikes sneak in a cheaper bottom bracket or cassette a lot of the time

Northwind

I hate those thieving arseholes but even so, it’s a mix with ultegra in, on this occasion they are not lying. At least not about that one thing, the warranty will be a lie.

mtbfix

That they refer to it as their “best selling groupset” is a touch misleading. It’s a component bundle, not a groupset.

cookeaa

It’s not that much of a shock TBH, “mixed” groups have been a thing for as long as I can remember…

DO you really expect to get a proper full Ultegra group on a carbon frame/fork for £800 with no compromises?

Let’s be realistic, if you’re buying a PX the front mech is probably the least of your worries…

jkomo

I like the fact they also specify full ultegra groupset on other bikes which includes all the shit including cassette.
    You know where you stand.

TiRed

Lots of the pros are riding cheaper (ultegra) cassettes as it’s an easy way to add weight. For me it should be shifters and derailleurs. I’m ambivalent about the front though, as they are basically the same.

Groupset means cranks and brakes. My Defy now is complete Dura Ac, including hubs!

edhornby

there’s basically only one BB that comes out of the Japan R&D facility and the seals are the difference between XT(R) and DuraAce/Ultegra; same for 105/tiagra/SLX/Deore from the taiwan manufacturing plant. doesn’t make them any less quality

that PX does look a bit like a home build tho with all it’s odd parts but it’d still be a good bike.

Northwind

edhornby – Member

there’s basically only one BB that comes out of the Japan R&D facility and the seals are the difference between XT(R) and DuraAce/Ultegra; same for 105/tiagra/SLX/Deore from the taiwan manufacturing plant. doesn’t make them any less quality

Deore’s definitely not just differences in seals, the races are less durable (I put one in my dh bike and hammered dents into it in a single day at fort william)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘When is an Ultegra Groupset not an Ultegra Groupset?’ is closed to new replies.