Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • when is an engineer not an engineer?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23266074

Shocking story.

But surely a qualified engineer would have applied the brakes. A train-driver might have forgotten.

I know in USA, the term “engineer” is a legal definition, you have to be certified, effectivly chartered, to be called an engineer. I guess this isn’t the case in Canada?

bencooper
    Free Member

Anyone who walks into a bike shop and says “I’m an engineer” never is.

A proper engineer would have designed safety and braking systems which wouldn’t rely on one tired train driver applying the brakes properly.

footflaps

Who knows what really happened – all the evidence has been melted….

wwaswas

to be fair to the engineer – he’d left the engine running to keep the air brakes on and some firefighters had turned it off when fighting an earlier fire at the depot.

maccruiskeen

A person is a person, no matter what their job title. A certificate doesn’t convey infallibility. Unless you’re a certified pope.

Drac

Engineer has more than one meaning in the case of this guy it’s someone in control of an engine.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

A certificate doesn’t convey infallibility. Unless you’re a certified pope.

Not quite, but certainly in the states, if you’re the “engineer” responsible for the safety system, it fails and people die, then you go to jail.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

someone in control of an engine

Gah! that’s a driver then.

The word Engineer comes from the french: l’ingénieur. Literally someone who is ingenius, ie designs things like engines. Hence the word “engine”

Drac

The word Engineer comes from the french: l’ingénieur. Literally someone who is ingenius, ie designs things, thinks thing through.

The meaning of words can change.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Engineer has more than one meaning in the case of this guy it’s someone in control of an engine.

This is correct, and has been for a long time in the US.

antigee

I thought Engineer was common useage in US and Canada meaning locomotive driver

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Read this this morning. Am I alone in being a little concerned that an individual can be castigated so publicly by the CEO of a company so soon after the event!? I don’t believe a thorough investigation into the incident can be concluded so quickly.
    And, as already mentioned here, if the only system control stopping the train is a brake applied by the driver, then it’s a shit system

wwaswas

you’ll be telling me that a fireman is someone who keeps the boiler going on steam trains and doesn’t attempt to extinguish the flames next!

Tricky cove, johnny language.

maccruiskeen

Not quite, but certainly in the states, if you’re the “engineer” responsible for the safety system, it fails and people die, then you go to jail.

totally. still a human though. Regardless of training or legislation or certification you don’t become robot.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My mistake then. Sceptics getting it wrong then (IMO). 🙁

Am I alone in being a little concerned that an individual can be castigated so publicly by the CEO of a company so soon after the event!?

Nope, not alone. Seems a bit harsh, unless there is totally clear evidence.

ads678

I’m an Engineer* and so is my wife!

*Not strictly true as she’s chartered and I’m not so I’m only pretending really!!

wrecker
    Free Member

The oxford english dictionary states as much. There are attempts to hijack the word “engineer” to mean designer. It is not the case and never has been. You certainly don’t need to be chartered to be a engineer.

Cougar

He applied eleven brakes and that wasn’t enough?

Jesus Harold Christ on a pogo stick, how many brakes does a train have?

project
    Free Member

And, as already mentioned here, if the only system control stopping the train is a brake applied by the driver, then it’s a shit system

so you never drive or travel in a car or bus or coach then.

To be pedantic , the Brake is the brake applied to the whole train,by the driver, or by the train seperating ,eg a broken brake pipe and seperate Hand operatedbrakes work on each axle or bogie and are applied by the driver or train manager/guard.

bencooper
    Free Member

Jesus Harold Christ on a pogo stick, how many brakes does a train have?

One on each of the 74 wagons.

maccruiskeen

The oxford english dictionary states as much. There are attempts to hijack the word “engineer” to mean designer. It is not the case and never has been. You certainly don’t need to be chartered to be a engineer.

You certainly don’t you can use the word ‘engineer’ to describe the bloke who refills the coke vending machines in the foyer.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well Trigger was an environmental engineer 😀

GrahamS

I was sure the answer to the title question was going to mention “software engineer” 😕

daveh
    Free Member

I guess they’re looking at the possibility that the engineer didn’t apply the full amount of hand brakes but rather just a few in combination with the air brakes. When the air brakes were shutdown by the fire department the train rolled away.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

You certainly don’t need to be chartered to be a engineer.

Which in effect is my complaint.
    I’m an engineer (you may have guessed) 4 years hard work at Uni for a Masters degree, subsequent 13 years in industry, designing some pretty big, complex and impressive equipment . I’m finally getting my charted application sorted.

Yet to the average bloke on the street, I could just be a train driver, or someone who fills coke vending machines.

wwaswas

Yet to the average bloke on the street, I could just be a train driver, or someone who fills coke vending machines.

does it matter?

You know what you do, people who work with you understand the value of your qualifications and experience. Does some bloke in a pub’s view matter?

[edit] to me an engineer is someone who physically builds stuff like steam trains or something. Machining stuff to designs, assembling, fixing. Not ‘just’ doing a bit of work with CAD software…

wrecker
    Free Member

So?
    The term engineer is not and never has been the preserve of designers.
    If designers egos are so fragile that they need a term just so that they can feel special and recognised, it should be…..Designer!
    Let engineers be engineers.

Dougal
    Free Member

Office water dispenser breaks, phone company with service contract, they say they’re sending an “engineer” round to take a look at it.

Not an engineer, just a guy in a van.

Drac

Well ‘you’ picked a name that was already in use for a different meaning so it will be very difficult to get a protected title.

makeitorange
    Free Member

When did Plumbers start getting called heating engineers? I’ve nothing against plumbers, but surely the guy that designed the boiler is the heating engineer and the plumber is a heating fitter.

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

Tricky cove, johnny language.

A very fine sentence, sir.

compositepro
    Free Member

So?
    The term engineer is not and never has been the preserve of designers.
    If designers egos are so fragile that they need a term just so that they can feel special and recognised, it should be…..Designer!
    Let engineers be engineers.

Design engineer?

wrecker
    Free Member

Plumber is a completely different job to heating engineer.

fasthaggis

Heating engineer = deluxe Plumber 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

thekingisdead – Member

Read this this morning. Am I alone in being a little concerned that an individual can be castigated so publicly by the CEO of a company so soon after the event!? I don’t believe a thorough investigation into the incident can be concluded so quickly.

Quite right.

ChrisHeath

I’m an engineer … I’m finally getting my charted application sorted.

So actually, by the definition that you want to apply, you’re not. Yet. 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Not ‘just’ doing a bit of work with CAD software…

That would be a designer/draughtsman, depending on how much autonomy is given.

The engineer is the person behind the design, who’s done the required calculations, be it mechanical strength, thermal efficieny, or cost and production time or whatever to make sure whatever it is will work correctly for the given situation.

an engineer is someone who physically builds stuff like steam trains or something. Machining stuff to designs, assembling, fixing

Again, depends on the autonomy. If they’re assembling or machining to a detailed drawing, they’re not engineers. If they’re having to fix shoddy designs as they build, then they are.

So actually, by the definition that you want to apply, you’re not. Yet

I’m an engineer. Not an Engineer. 🙂 (but give me 3 months….)

wwaswas

they’re not engineers

I think I was making the point that the word means different things to different people. I’ve always viewed it as a ‘hands on’ role – mad professor in a workshop or man with lots of machines in a big shed type stuff.

It doesn’t mean that what you do has less value just that it’s not like it’s a term that deserves protection in law to apply only to people who use a slide rule on a daily basis and never actually touch the stuff they do the calculations for.

(note: this is all slightly tongue in cheek, I realise that a doing ‘bit of CAD’ does not a mechanical (or whatever) engineer make).

wrecker
    Free Member

Definition of engineer
    noun

1a person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or structures.
    a person qualified in a branch of engineering, especially as a professional:an aeronautical engineer

2a person who controls an engine, especially on an aircraft or ship.
    North American a train driver.

3a skilful contriver or originator of something:the prime engineer of the approach

Design, work on, build or maintain machines? You’re an engineer. You do not need a degree or a chartership. End of story.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

project – Member

so you never drive or travel in a car or bus or coach then.

Obviously I do, but the level of safety controls generally reflect the levels of risk. And no matter I hard I try to drive like a d*ck, the chance of me doing as much damage as a freight train carrying thousands of litres of oil are slim.

I will assume you are aware of (P)FMEA’s?
    I’m wondering if “driver forgets to apply brake” was included when they did (?) the FMEA on this system?!?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘when is an engineer not an engineer?’ is closed to new replies.