Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • When fat is the only bike…..(Haters need not look)
  • motorman
    Free Member

…..for great days of winter riding. 8)
    Scotland, snow, beach & trails….all the reasons for big winter boots.

The last bike to get stuck out here with the wrong tyre choice 😆

Here is to a snowy winter of great riding 8)

wombat

I like that…..A LOT 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I should have my 907 in time for the Puffer* 🙂

* support only you understand – I’m not that mental

motorman
    Free Member

Keen to see your drivetrain setup when it arrives Druidh, esp the PW BB. Planning a change over to Alfine next year myself

nicko74

Question – seriously, how well does it cope with deep snow? Like a foot or more on the ground?

druidh
    Free Member

It’s not the depth of the snow that matters, it’s the consistency. Snow is far too variable to have one “rule”.

motorman
    Free Member

Got to consider BB height & pedal position….if you try to cycle through 1ft + of soft powder your feet are going to be covered. Most trails in Alaska that have that much snow are groomed to make them ridable.

motorman
    Free Member

Not mine, but I would say they work well in really deep snow 😆 😯

rOcKeTdOg

i wish i hadn’t clicked on this

DarrenH

😆 +1 rocketdog!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

motorman – Member
    Here is to a snowy winter of great riding

x2

epicyclo

nicko74 – Member
    Question – seriously, how well does it cope with deep snow? Like a foot or more on the ground?

On my SS fatbike, once the snow is deep enough that my pedals are digging into the snow each revolution, it’s pretty hard going. Any hill becomes a walk. Gears make a big difference in snow 🙂

colournoise

LOVING this photo.

Still not quite sure about the practicality of a fat one round here, but they sure do look great from a purely visual PoV – like Mint Sauce’s cartoon bikes come to life.

slainte 8) rob

epicyclo

Was out for 6 hours today on mainly virgin snow. Only the tracks of deer and foxes and me.

Paradise – I want to live just there.

Hard work on a SS when it gets deep

Every tree is a Xmas tree

One side of Ben Wyvis

If there’s one thing better than a fatbike, it’s a Highland pony…

druidh
    Free Member

I’m gonna have to get me a set of those mudguards

stuey
    Free Member

epicyclo could you pop in to Granny’s – she’s snowed in on A832 – just past Garve –
    I left my BB7s there and I need them for my pug
    – oh and take her some soup . Thanks 🙂

epicyclo

stuey – Member
    epicyclo could you pop in to Granny’s…

I was just outside Garve on that ride today.

Your granny needs a fatbike for Xmas… 🙂

druidh – Member
    I’m gonna have to get me a set of those mudguards

I had minimal spray on me which allowed me to put in several hours on the bike. Stayed warm and dry.

When I got home there was half a pound of ice inside the cuffs of my trousers. (Wondered why my ankles were feeling cold)

stuey
    Free Member

I keep telling her that. (but she only goes to strafpeffer for the chocolate)

Tell us more about you ‘guards please.

motorman
    Free Member

Nice conditions Epic, I though you might have been out yesterday too.. 😉
    More snow coming down as I type & a dodgy forecast for later in the week, going to be some good riding out there if it keeps up 8)

epicyclo

The guards are from a trials motorbike, so they’re nice and strong. There’s 3 guards in there, one cut to fit the bit from the seatstay brake bridge to the chainstay bridge.

They needed some modification using a heatgun to get them to fit.

The stays are homemade using tubing from B&Q. I crimped the ends and drilled them and then curved them to fit under the guard.

An improvement would be to make the lower part of the rear guard quickly detachable. The top part is designed to hinge upwards. There were a few times today when slushy snow packed in and froze so I was unable to turn the wheel. I’ll try giving the inside of them a polish with silicone car polish which may improve things.

Flickr – pics of making the mudguards

motorman
    Free Member

I think this kinna sums up the situation. Last winter I was the 2nd guy 😆
    Now I can ride all year, not sit on the couch eating crisps until it thaws 😈

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OtPoDOkgJo[/video]

shaxi
    Free Member

wonderful ,thanks for your sharing !
    i want to be there !
    🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

I want your fat bikes and I want your snow! Great stuff, what kind of weight does a geared fatty get to? They are the only bikes to make racks look good! 🙂

flashes
    Free Member

I’m in the South, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Snow please……………

rOcKeTdOg

Really, stop it please

toons
    Free Member

motorman how are you finding the Nates?

epicyclo

The video motorman posted sums it up.

There does come a point where it gets too hard on a fatbike too, though.

Was out all day yesterday in this. (It’s tough living in the Highlands 🙂 )

The first picture was about my limit of being able to pedal on a singlespeed – you really need gears on a fatbike IMO (as a rabid SSer). You can see the pedals were dipping in the snow each revolution.

However fatbikes are also good for lots more riding than just snow.

argoose
    Free Member

if it keeps you riding I’m all for it 😀

motorman
    Free Member

Great pics Epic.
    I’m really liking the Nates, fantastic tyres, only downside is they do seem a bit more draggy in softer conditions.

Now I have had a chance to try Nate in the snow, I am going to swap them over for Larry on the rear & BFL on front to see how they get on.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Are there any fat bike haterz? I love em but probably overkill for Hertfordshire.

toons
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on.

freeridenick
    Free Member

snow is for skiing.. 😛

derekrides
    Free Member

Have you any idea how mental that bike looks.

First its a womans bike,

Second it has single speed.

So you’re riding a fat womans bike in the snow with only one gear, gone tot he trouble of fitting big tyres then losing the advantage that might bring by restricting yourself to one speed..

Not all there really are we?

nickf
    Free Member

Are there any fat bike haterz? I love em but probably overkill for Hertfordshire.

I think they’re a daft idea unless you habitually ride in snow or sand, in which case they’re entirely the right tool for the job. And it’s not like anyone’s forcing me to have one.

motorman
    Free Member

I think they’re a daft idea unless you habitually ride in snow or sand

Good job I have both to ride from the door then 😉

The snow is actually making it easier to ride through marsh/grass which is an added bonus for a short cut to the trails I ride 😀

nickf
    Free Member

Looks glorious up there motorman – very envious.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Great pics!

epicyclo

nickf – Member
    I think they’re a daft idea unless you habitually ride in snow or sand, in which case they’re entirely the right tool for the job. And it’s not like anyone’s forcing me to have one.

I’ve got a very nice 29er as well, but the moment the surface changes from dry hardpack, the fatbike has the advantage. In Scotland that means that for 90% of my riding.

A fatbike can handle a purpose built mtb trail though it will be outclassed.

derekrides – Member
    Have you any idea how mental that bike looks.
    First its a womans bike,
    Second it has single speed.
    So you’re riding a fat womans bike in the snow with only one gear, gone tot he trouble of fitting big tyres then losing the advantage that might bring by restricting yourself to one speed..
    Not all there really are we?

Definitely not all there. 😆

BTW I built it up as a SS for the ‘Puffer, but yeah, I could have done with gears yesterday.

Keef
    Free Member

I live in Brum,and love my frankenfatty.don’t care whether it’s ‘suitable’ or not (gagging for snow tho 😉 ) but it makes you smile like when you were a kid,strangely enough they were always SS’s an all….

flashes
    Free Member

I did back to back rides at Ashton Court in Bristol, fast singletrack. The Karate Monkey was grand, my On One was quickest but the Pugsley was so much fun……I even had a child point at it and say to his Mum, “Look Mummy a clown’s bike”, well it makes me laugh……..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘When fat is the only bike…..(Haters need not look)’ is closed to new replies.