Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • When do you say goodbye to tyres?
  • gribble
    Free Member

I noticed a load of air leaking from the sidewall of my old Ardent 2.25 on Sunday, whilst out in the Surrey Hills. I think I had nicked it on a rock or root. Anyway, I did the old swizzle round the tyre on its side (hole side down) to try and get the sealant into the hole.

Worked (sort of), leaked again – repeated that a couple of times but it allowed me to finish my ride and get back to the station to go home. Still seems to be holding air today.

There are not loads of threads showing in the sidewall, but is it worth repairing or just binning? Tread is not bad and I do like Ardents, but have got more suitable tyres I could stick on rear for the winter.

ebennett

Just stick an anchovy in? I’ve done that with a small hole that just wouldn’t seal in a sidewall before. Feels a bit wrong making the hole bigger to get it in and looks pretty rough though!

fifeandy
    Free Member

If you’ve got a more suitable tyre for winter anyway, now seems as good a time as any to switch over.
    Once the tyre is off you can then patch from the inside at your leisure.

the-muffin-man

You never say goodbye to tyres – you leave them in a pile in the corner of the shed!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ah, the-muffin-man has it.

Anyone want some 26″ HR that are down to the canvas?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Worn tyres = fast summer tyres.

edward2000
    Free Member

I’d say goodbye to Ardnets as soon as they even looked at my bike

nedrapier

wot fifeandy said. same as you would on a puncture repair for inner tube

philjunior
    Free Member

I have a nobby nic on the back of one bike that must have various small holes that aren’t quite sealing.

I found one or two, but they’re all too small for anchovies.

I pump it up before each ride, it loses <5psi over 24h so it’s not the end of the world. I’ll put a new one on soon as it’s quite worn anyway, or I might not bother as it’ll be spring soon and I’ll chuck the summer tyres on.

Garry_Lager

I wonder how the tyre compound deteriorates with time – I have a couple of pairs of good 26 enduro tyres with next to no use, prob around 3-4 years old. Tread looks perfect, stored in a cool, dry, dark place -would they be as good as they day they were bought?

van Aert won the CX world cup last year with 17 yo michelin mud treads glued on top of his dugasts. So obv not a problem in some circumstances.

nedrapier

Holy thread resurrection!

I was just having a quick look what kind of riding gribble does, as we’re heading out for a ride at some point, came back to the laptop and responded to a 2 month old thread of his, thinking it was the front page.

😳

How’s the tyre, gribble?

gribble
    Free Member

Ardent is in the garage – fate is undecided but might try and repair for summer. Currently got an old High Roller on the back.

More grip, but not that good at climbing in the mud…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Still chugging/slipping along with my Ardents. One on one bike is a bit worn but normally I’d consider it has life left in it. In this weather it’s really struggling.

I don’t want to swap for a draggy tyre though for flat out stuff just for the odd sloppy mud bits. Ardent is on the rear so it just slides a bit and sometimes loses power and slips on sloppy climbs, but can just about copes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘When do you say goodbye to tyres?’ is closed to new replies.