Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • When do you bin your tyres?
  • dh
    Free Member

Just finished fixing a wee puncture and had a look at my tyres and reminded myself that i havent changed them for 3 years, tread beginning to look pretty bleak.

Do people have any wee rules for changing them, like so many miles, when the tread is x mm deep etc, or is it more just – they look like they have had it/i fancy a change etc? I realise that some folk probably have different tyres to the suit the conditions etc, but budgetry constraints mean i just have the 1 set etc.

dh

yesiamtom
    Free Member

when the central tread is so worn youve got no grip i would say.

doug_basqueMTB.com

When they look like this (was a set of 2.5 big earl's!)

jahwomble
    Free Member

When they stop working.Think of them as 26inch rubber kidneys.:)

mamadirt
    Free Member

When the sidewalls go. Tried to patch one this week that was threatening to split in several places and failed miserably – went for dual ply as a replacement but sheesh how heavy are they!! Got a pile in the garage with very worn tread but can't bring myself to chuck them just yet.

_tom_
    Free Member

I run mine until they're slick usually, since I don't really ride on much stuff that requires massive amounts of grip. Had my current front nevegal for over a year, it was 2nd hand as well and has had a good amount of use.

br
    Free Member

When they start to split (tubeless running).

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

My back tyre is getting quite worn down the middle which causes some wheel spins uphill but seems fine for cornering at the moment. I'll probably bin it once I loose a lot of uphill grip.

Ambrose

As GJ

mamadirt
    Free Member

Quick edit: Now back out of the bin and repaired with nylon thread – someone posted on another thread about repairing sidewalls with fishing line – cheers whoever it was 🙂 . No way do I need dual ply at my weight – spanking new tyre now on the Classifieds after a quick and rather sticky, sluggish ride to the shops 😉

donks
    Free Member

To bloody often, I'm a sucker for tyres..(was going to say rubber but thought better of it).

james
    Free Member

"To bloody often"
    +1

Theres always another set of tyres you just 'need' to try
    Its like n + 1, where n is the number of bikes you currently have rule, only more like n + 5

parkesie
    Free Member

when treads gone sidewalls split or they puncture every ride

roughneck
    Free Member

Never! My shed is full. I'll have to get rid of some, but you never know when they'll come in.

amodicumofgnar

When they split or if they got changed with life in them when i run out of space – currently got 11 tyres kicking about for one bike.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

When they are knackered. Can't be arsed with changing tyres.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Depends on the tyre.

If its a dry / hard pack tyre I bin them when there is a about 1.5mm of tread left

If its a mud/swamp tyre then I bin them when they half down to half tread

MrSparkle

When do you bin your tyres?

On a Sunday. Hth.

M6TTF
    Free Member

3 years since you swapped tyres? You don't ride enough!

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Two back tyres for every single front. Check for blisters as this is the carcass failing and could blow plus look for the plies showing too. For me would say why not get a nice set of tyres from Argos as they do 2 knobblies + 2 tubes for about £20 and are of more than enough good quality

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘When do you bin your tyres?’ is closed to new replies.