Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • When do we get to elect the Head of State?
  • jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

So, beyond all the strange tribal behavior that comes into play at election time, when was the last time a head of state of the United Kingdom was elected by the populace?

bearnecessities

Oh for God’s sake man!

camo16
    Free Member

oldnpastit

Was Oliver Cromwell elected?

EDIT: I guess he wasn’t head of state of Scotland, so perhaps doesn’t count.

br
    Free Member

What on earth would make you WANT an Elected Head of State? Far better to have a ceremonial one, even just for the savings:

Think a republic would be cheaper than Monarchy? Think again!

And if you ever consider the UK having a President rather than King/Queen, just imagine Tony Blair* as the President…

* insert most previous PM’s, Mayors etc etc

camo16
    Free Member

…or – given that MrsW is ceremonial only – you could ask ‘why do we need a head of state at all?’

Then you could make even more savings and just have birds and trees and stuff on the stamps.

I’m making sense, you know it. 😉

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

If the Queen is just ceremonial, on whose behalf do MI5 and Special Branch spy on MPs and the Prime Minister?

Klunk
    Free Member

lol @ linking to a blog on royalcentral about a republic.

no agenda or biased at all

camo16
    Free Member

If the Queen is just ceremonial, on whose behalf do MI5 and Special Branch spy on MPs and the Prime Minister?

[conspiracy theory] that would be the men in grey suits [/conspiracy theory]

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Who do the men in grey suits work for?

camo16
    Free Member

[conspiracy theory] the ‘system’ – an international league of right-wing power players [/conspiracy theory]

jambourgie
    Free Member

seavers
    Free Member

ALDI

benji
    Free Member

Leave our tourist attraction out of it, just wonder if royal carriages display baby on board stickers now?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FFS, not this again.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I can’t understand why anyone should be entitled to weild power as a result of an accident of birth.

With an unelected second chamber, the members of which outnumber the elected parliamentarians, and a hereditary head of state, it just goes to show how backward this nation really is, and far we have to progress.

zomg

Can’t happen soon enough in my opinion. The Republic of Ireland’s last few Presidents have been exemplary people, capable of representing the nation on any occasion, and were elected by the people.

Klunk
    Free Member

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

If Britain ditched the Monarchy, what would happen to the Monarchies of Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc?

seavers
    Free Member

Klunk….Is that Higgins from Magnum PI on the right?

camo16
    Free Member

FFS, not this again.

When you think about it, Flash, there’s only about 7 basic STW themes…

1. Recommend me a … car, coffee machine, axe, espresso machine, log burner…
    2. Politics is well out of order… something for the lefties and righties to get stuck into
    3. I’ve had an accident… what kind of insurance for me…?
    4. Links to news stories plus associated chatter and general badinage
    5. Cute animals, birds, fish, plus photography/paintings and nature art appreciation
    6. The big-hitter outrage thread, plus threats of libel, infamy and associated ban hammer, usually involving references to TJ, Fred, Edinburgh and asshats
    7. The Queen (is she evil, just slightly skewed or proper good for tourism?)

…so this ol’ nugget was due a comeback!

I suggest, to avoid such recurrences in the future, more reliance on the whimsy threads and humbly suggest we begin with ‘why don’t battery hens run out?’

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

If we’re getting into pictures territory, this is a relevant one:

Prizes if anyone can tell me who it is holding the crown and what relevance it has to Jimmy Savile’s long and close friendship with the Royal Family…

camo16
    Free Member

Looks like that fella from Spandau Ballet. 😕

miketually
    Free Member

Leave our tourist attraction out of it

Legoland is our head of state?

If your arguments for the monarchy are tourism or “what about President Blair?” you’ve already lost the argument.

joshvegas
    Free Member

The Royal family is traditional I’m cool with that.

But monarchy has always been hereditary or taken by force.

So if we want to keep a king/queen surely anyone who can raise an army or arrange a brutal murder surely gets a turn if they are successful?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wait a minute… are all those guys in black wearing Jim’ll Fix It medals?

OMFG!

Edit: And the guy from Spandeau Ballet is clearly checking out Richard Attenborough’s arse.

seavers
    Free Member

Wait a minute… are all those guys in black wearing Jim’ll Fix It medals?

No no no…its the blue cushion….that’s the link. Jimmy had one too, when the royals found out he had one they hit it off and all went to Bella Pasta. The rest is history.

molgrips
    Free Member

given that MrsW is ceremonial only – you could ask ‘why do we need a head of state at all?’

Someone’s got to go and waste time meeting people – the PM can get on with actual work. Well, in theory anyway.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Damn seavers, you’re good, not many people know about Mountbatten’s cushion…

But that isn’t the link in question

jambourgie
    Free Member

Is it something to do with this:

seavers
    Free Member

Give us a clue JHJ?

muddy@rseguy

Give us a clue?

You mean Lionel Blair is involved too?

BoomBip
    Free Member

Prizes if anyone can tell me who it is holding the crown and what relevance it has to Jimmy Savile’s long and close friendship with the Royal Family…

It’s Tommy Crownhandler of course. The Savile link is that there’s a hole in the cushion and he liked to surprise the Queen when she lifted up the crown. She liked it as well, especially when he made the ‘Uhuhuhuhhhh’ noise at the same time.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

His cousin’s dad is a long time friend of Camilla.

After his cousin’s mum has a bath, the plughole might make you do a double take.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Benedict Cumberbatch?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ken Dodd’s dad’s dog’s dead.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Nope, the plughole reference is nothing to do with feather dusters.

BoomBip
    Free Member

I’ll bite then – reptilian scales clogging up the plughole by any chance?

ads678

I’d just like to say I have no problem what so ever with the royal family. I’m not a royalist but i just kind of like them. They seem nice and are good for tourism.

CountZero

jivehoneyjive – Member
    If the Queen is just ceremonial, on whose behalf do MI5 and Special Branch spy on MPs and the Prime Minister

It’s déjà vu all over again.
    Or Groundhog Day…
    From his name, JHJ must be a vinyl fan, the fact his favourite record seems to be stuck rather indicates so.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘When do we get to elect the Head of State?’ is closed to new replies.