Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • When did overtaking bikes on the wrong side of the road
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

At speed on a blind bend become acceptable behaviour? 3 times today on my drive to the trails this happened, are people really that stupid? I appreciate roadies can be slightly frustrating but crashing your car seems an odd way to handle it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just makes me feel alive, I guess.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Drivers generally don’t know how to overtake cyclists generally. Twice last week I had long vehicles start an overtake they couldn’t finish and then pull back in before they’d actually passed me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seadog101

Drivers generally don’t know how to overtake cyclists generally. Twice last week …

There’s a spot near us, although it’s wide and flat, the middle is chevrons as there are 3 junctions within few hundred yards, and a couple of farm turnings. 🙄

neilwheel
    Free Member

are people really that stupid?

Yes

souldrummer
    Free Member

The amount of suspect/dangerous overtaking I see when I’m cycling up from Abinger Hammer to Holmbury is staggering. Blind bends and narrow roads don’t seem to bother most drivers, least of all those in vans or huge 4x4s.

brooess
    Free Member

I think some people lack the cognitive ability to distinguish between a video game and real life… seriously… the obvious risk of injury and death from some driving manoeuvres appears to be not obvious at all to some people…

There’s a theory I heard about of ‘risk appetite’ – we’ve evolved to live with a certain amount of risk/threat to survival but for most people these days, life is very, very safe – all the safety features and the sheer size of modern cars is just one example.

So life is very boring for many people. Some go and seek out the risk – participate in risky sports like rock climbing, base jumping, skydiving, mountain biking etc, but for those who don’t do this, driving in a dangerous manner is one of the few routes left for a shot of adrenaline…

Of course, the safer cars get, the more you have to push your driving…

Years ago I jumped out of planes every weekend and it was interesting, in both my own experience and watching others, how the basic ‘falling through the air’ thing lost it’s appeal after a while – you got used to the risk – so you started to do other things… free flying, formation, pulling low, swoops etc… to get the buzz back. In a sport like that where the risk is so high, you’re aware you’re doing it. But I don’t think Joe Public has that kind of self awareness…

joolsburger
    Free Member

Exactly where I was once on the way there then again on the way home. Best example was a range rover coming up the hill to newlands corner on the wrong side of the road at the sharp blind bend trying to overtake a climbing roadie, I’m doing 40 ish so is he, nearly had me that one, he missed my car by inches the stupid C word..

unklehomered
    Free Member

are people really that stupid?

Yup. Today come round a corner to find some twerp doing just this, slam all on, toot the horn, nearly go into the ditch. Once he’s by the car behind him proceeds to do exactly the same thing!!!

project
    Free Member

Muppet Audi driver,pulls out of junction in front of me (i was driving a vehicle), about 20 cyclists in front of me, the reason i was going slow and leaving a space, muppet pulls into space, then decides to overtake the cyclists on a road with parked cars the other side so limited space, and almost hits a white van coming towards him and almost taking out the lead cyclists.

Lavister near wrexham, grey audi.

birdy
    Free Member

Few years ago on a club run whilst making our way along a quiet, high banked lane in a Surrey a vehicle decided to overtake us on a blind corner. Vehicle coming in the opposite direction (at some speed but had done nothing wrong) with no where else to go had to swing off the road hitting the bank. This acted much like a ramp. Vehicle just about managed to land with its wheels the right side up.

Also, early one morning on my commute into work some muppet decided try an overtake me. Only problem being the traffic island in the middle of which the driver hit at about 30mph.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Driving back from peaslake today, I nearly hit a car overtaking a cyclist on a blind corner. Still had enough control while braking to flip the bird 😀

nedrapier

I think there’s some case law on this.

Not dangerous.

Nobby

Exactly where I was once on the way there then again on the way home. Best example was a range rover coming up the hill to newlands corner on the wrong side of the road at the sharp blind bend trying to overtake a climbing roadie, I’m doing 40 ish so is he, nearly had me that one, he missed my car by inches the stupid C word..

There was much similar behaviour between Westcott & Abinger too. I think folk fail to understand that if you can’t see that it’s safe to overtake, it probably isn’t.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think the surrey classic had quite a few roadies out which obviously infuriates a certain type of driver. The oddest thing is if you time it you are actually slowed down for a few seconds maybe a minute tops, what is so important that it’s worth having a head on collision for on a Sunday morning?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Worse still, it seems most police forces now have a policy of NOT tracing these people down for a “chat” about their standard of driving.

Not sure how anyone can do anything to re-educate these people.

Only thing for it is compulsory retesting (at a higher than L test standard) for all drivers.

j4mie
    Free Member

I see so much stupid driving these days it’s unreal. I try to take particular care to observe whilst I’m driving and have a high degree of anticipation, which of course makes me a fantastic driver and I never do anything wrong.

So much so, I’ve just ordered a RoadHawk. Can one take a video into the police to try to get them to have a word?

scaredypants

as nedrapier suggests, you can do what the **** you like

brooess
    Free Member

We had a ‘fun’ one on the club run today – driver tries repeatedly to shove his way into the group from a side road (12 riders, all coming down a fast descent so fairly spread out) he pushed his car further and further into the road to the point that by the time I came down I had to take to the white line to avoid piling straight into the side of his car. I was shouting ‘no, no, no!’ to get him to stop driving out, for which I got the coffee bean shake 😯
    Even when I drive I get scared these days by all the close calls. I’m glad I live in London so barely need to use the car

belugabob
    Free Member

Muppet Audi driver,

Unnecessary words deleted

Daffy

This is why I have a forward facing camera in the car!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The really worrying thing is – if a driver is going to have a head on collision with another car and there’s some cyclists on the inside of them then what are the likely to do?
    A) Have the head on crash?
    B) Pull in to the cyclists?

Bez

A or B probably doesn’t matter – do you want to be taken out by a car or by flying bits of car?

To be fair I’ve seen more people (like, *lots*) have a really good crack at A than B. I’ve even seen one driver force the oncoming driver to bail out onto the pavement – sounded like they took out their sump as I rode past, but fortunately no pedestrians.

butcher

Seems to be standard practice around here. You can ride a road with one bend in it and someone will come along and overtake you on it.

It’s funny, they’ll give you LOADS of space too. Totally mental behaviour. I think it scares me more in the car than it does on the bike. At least on the bike I can dive into the bushes if I hear anyone coming. In the car it’s likely to come without warning.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d avoid Holme Moss for the next few weeks if you don’t enjoy idiots driving straight at you on the wrong side of the road. I’ve never seen so much crap driving on one road as I did this morning. Some of the riding was ridiculous too – why do some roadies think it’s okay to simply stop and stand across the road on a semi-blind crest. Bonkers.

Klunk
    Free Member

overtaking on blind corners and blind crests are so common now it doesn’t register with me anymore. A new favourite (for me) is the follow my leader overtake as if a moving bike is a parked car forcing the oncoming traffic to stop at same time failing to realize I’m also moving too ! 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s not dangerous it’s called making progress….

aracer
    Free Member

Must overtake

Onzadog
    Free Member

Apparently, there’s a legend/rumour amongst car drivers that every time they sit behind a cyclist for more than 3 seconds, their penis shrinks by an inch.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Roadie killed a couple of days ago near me in Salisbury on a straight hill crest by a lorry pulling in on an incomplete overtaking manoeuvre.

No doubt the driver will get a £5 fine if any and be allowed to carry on driving dangerously.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

All of the above.

It’s becoming such a common occurrence, I just can’t comprehend how these people’s thought processes work. If it was a slow moving car / tractor / traction engine / whatever, would it present them a similar opportunity to cheat the consequences? I guess these are the same clowns who bundle past OAPs or pushchairs in the supermarket because they’re in such a life threatening hurry that they can’t possibly be held up.

Couple of years back I got hooted at then pushed past on an A road, over double white lines on a crest. When I caught the driver at the traffic lights about 200 yards further on and politely asked what had warranted the horn, I was advised I was “holding up traffic”. If I recall correctly, I may have have firmly suggested that I was, actually, “traffic”.

Until that level of ignorance and perceived class system is sorted, we’ll sadly get no further with this.

martinhutch

I’d avoid Holme Moss for the next few weeks if you don’t enjoy idiots driving straight at you on the wrong side of the road.

Ditto the B6265 to Grassington. Standard of driving is bad enough at the best of times, current rider numbers may be enough to completely explode their tiny minds.

stumpy01

gonetothehills – Member

It’s becoming such a common occurrence, I just can’t comprehend how these people’s thought processes work. If it was a slow moving car / tractor / traction engine / whatever, would it present them a similar opportunity to cheat the consequences? I guess these are the same clowns who bundle past OAPs or pushchairs in the supermarket because they’re in such a life threatening hurry that they can’t possibly be held up.

It doesn’t seem to matter too much what is slowing these people down, they just seem to overtake regardless in my experience.

A couple of Fridays ago I came off a slip road from the A1, which is a bit of a weird one, as there are houses on the slip road about 200 yds up it. It’s also an exit and entry slip road that splits just before the A1.
    Here (if this works):
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=52.5458,-0.335319&spn=0.002773,0.005901&t=h&z=18

I came off heading northbound, round the corner and then intended to go left back over the A1 on the A605 (EDIT – in the car, not on a bike).
    Halfway round the slip road/bend there was a pick-up truck heading in the opposite direction pulling into a driveway and rather than wait for him to get off the road, there was a woman in a Mini Countryman overtaking him completely on the wrong side of the road, heading directly towards me. She panicked and swerved back in, narrowly missing the pick-up she was overtaking, I was braking as hard as I could and she still only just missed the pair of us.
    Dozy bint. No idea why she thought it was a good idea to overtake on a blind corner, especially as the hedges are high and you really can’t see very far round at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not a new thing, in my experience – just happening lots more because of the huge rise in leisure cycling maybe?

I agree about the huge amount of space some of them give you (as cyclists), maybe in their minds they are courteous, considerate drivers who are just in a bit of a hurry that day.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

possibly a rise in the number of drivers (and leisure drivers thrashing their toys round)

Northwind

There’s an unsighted kink in the road on my commute, someone decides to pass me on it maybe 1 time in 5, straight into oncoming traffic, number of near misses is ridiculous. It’s reasonably low speed which is the only thing that’s stopped it being lots of crashes. Considering it’s a commuting road especially- I’ve seen the same people doing it repeatedly. Always a bit hairraising, I figure there’s got to be a correlation between the sort of driver that’ll overtake into oncoming traffic, and the sort of driver that’ll swerve over a cyclist to avoid a car.

faustus

Had someone overtake a cyclist coming in the opposite direction, at exactly the point we were level with them yesterday (on a country B road). So it was 2 cyclists (single file), car, cyclist on the width of the road. Really dumb, and pretty effing dangerous. It didn’t help my perception of Audi TT drivers…

ahwiles
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

it’s not dangerous it’s called making progress….

this.

there’s an advanced driving course you can go on, where they teach you how to see through hedges.

now, you may think that a head-on pass with only inches to spare is dangerous, but that just reveals you to be the inferior human driver that you really are. That gap was in fact expertly judged to be adequately safe.

tightywighty
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

as nedrapier suggests, you can do what the **** you like

I’m still really **** cross about this* case. Miscarriage of justice as far as I’m concerned.

*http://www.darkerside.org/2013/10/helen-measures-and-the-death-of-denisa/

GrahamS

The worrying thing about all this is that it is always your/our fault, not theirs.

Yes, they might have decided to overtake completely unsighted just before the crest of a hill on a 60mph road. But they do it cursing your name for making them take such a stupid risk.

(applies in a car, as well as on a bike, but definitely more pronounced if you’re on a bike. “Stupid cyclist forcing me to risk certain death so I can get to those traffic lights before him”).

I’m still really **** cross about this* case. Miscarriage of justice as far as I’m concerned.

Yep, absolute shocker that one. Amazing that the defence can openly lie in court and that character witnesses are such a large part of determining if someone drove dangerously ?!?

http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/get-involved

http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/police-petition

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘When did overtaking bikes on the wrong side of the road’ is closed to new replies.