Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • When did Neff start making rubbish…?
  • cb

We had Neff appliances when we moved into our house, they were 10 years old at the time and served us another 9. When we refurbed the kitchen we were keen to buy Neff because of the quality.

Part of a 2k plus appliance bill was a warming drawer – 400 bloody quids worth!

Used perhaps 1/2 days a week for 4 years. Completely dead with a local service engineer (Neff hadn’t responded for 2 days) suggesting (impossible for him to be 100% sure without trial and error replacing parts) that’s its likely to be £125 tiny module that needs replacing. Plus another service charge of £99 from Neff.

Is 4 years now an assumed service life of this type of product? Neff customer service listened to my lack of happiness over the situation before reading a script ot me of how people buy their products due their quality and reliability – comedy gold! Summary – pay 99 quid and then we’ll see if we can discount the parts! Otherwise the view is that ‘tough, we have your money now’ and yes its perfectly reasonable for a kitchen appliance to fail after 4 years…

Vented, mini non-CAPS, expletive devoid rantette over.

Regards

An ex Neff customer

mrmoofo

TBH, I think it Is the fault of Brexit …

bsims
    Free Member

Ive had the similar issues with Siemens, new stuff is casuning issues and most likely wont last as long as the old stuff. Acombination of built in obsolescence and the brand image being more imortnat that the actual qaulity (I approciate the two are linked but you can work wonders with marketing and lifestyle fashion). Replace with cheeper appliances then you will feel less anoyed if they dont go the distance.

Bosch = Siemens = Neff. Neff owned by Bosch who also have rights to use the Siemens name in the domestic appliance market I believe.

oldnpastit

I’ve got a broken Neff dishwasher waiting for me to summon up the strength to attack it again.

2 years old, it was tripping the RCB every time it was plugged in. I’ve now replaced the control module, but now it comes on, and then some other light comes on.

The previous wishdosher ran for about a decade.

To be honest, I might go back to doing it by hand; I’m really not convinced that dish washer’s are not just a total waste if you’re not running a restaurant.

kelvin

a warming drawer

You paid for one of these?!?

tjagain

wishdosher

Brilliant!

jam-bo

About four years ago?

Rio

According to the woman in JL when we bought our oven, with BSH appliances you need to look where they’re made. Our Neff oven is made in Germany and seems pretty solid, as is our Bosch washing machine and Siemens fridge. Our Neff dishwasher is made in Turkey and  was getting noisy after a year and now has occasional software problems requiring a hard reset, and I hate it. She implied that if they don’t say where they’re made they’ll probably just last the warranty period.

Edukator
    Free Member

Never heard of Neff before this thread, Never heard of a warming draw before this thread (just asked Madame who has never heard of either either). I know what a dish washer is, there was one in our house when we bought it; after using it half a dozen times in 10 years it was taken to the recycling point in perfect working order to make space for a cupboard.

rOcKeTdOg

A warming drawer

Is that just a tiny oven?

bsims
    Free Member

Just checked WM, DW, TD, FF and both ovens are all made in germany, can’t check the hob. I think the made in Germany thing is a sales ploy to get people to upgrade to the more expensive models in each range

robdixon
    Free Member

The reputation for German reliability is completely misplaced – our household experience has been:

– new Neff oven started cutting out after 13 months and required 3 x engineer visits
    – Neff induction job blew on 1 side (2 zones) after 19 months
    – Neff combo / microwave oven failed at 24 months and required 7 visits before it was fixed
    – Neff dishwasher failed at 4 years – 5 x repairs and in the end we junked it and replaced it with a “more reliable”…
    – Miele dishwasher – which failed the first time was used it

– we also replaced our boiler with a Vailant which failed the first night of winter it was on

Unsurprisingly our VW car has also had endless problems including cutting out whilst driving – we were told for 18 months that we were idiots and couldn’t drive and then a software update was released to fix the problem. The sunroof also leaked due to not having an annual “sunroof service” and required £500 of repairs. There are two other houses on the road with the same model and they’ve had the same problem as well.

In short I won’t touch anything from Germany again – it’s not just that the products are cr4p, it’s the sneering rude attitude of their retailers / distributors in the U.K. when something does go wrong.

crikey
    Free Member

When we began to believe that Brands are more important than the actual product…

Capitalism at its finest, really.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

was taken to the recycling point in perfect working order

thought you claimed to be an environmentally friendly guy? That’s not very friendly!

A repair guy I’ve used who seems pretty good is seeing more and more repairs that aren’t economical. He had a customer with a washer that needed a new control board which cost twice what the washer did. It was 2 years old.

He also says that the metalwork used in appliances is too thing to do the job. He sees fridges with doors that don’t fit because the fridge has lozenged.

andrewreay

robdixon

By contrast, we’ve had Bosch or Siemens for all kitchen appliances since 2003 and never seen an engineer, not once.

I always wondered where the poor sod was who was picking up all my bad luck.

Nice to meet you 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Have you got any better ideas with what to do with a 20-year-old dish washer, Chromolyolly?

This week I was back at the recycling centre with:

A telephone which I no longer need as I no longer have a fixed phone line or ever fibre.
    A microwave with a duff timer that worked but needed manual timing – no parts available.

I drove a 21-year-old Peugeot 605 to the breakers which drove pretty much as well as new, but I didn’t want the risk/hassle of selling it, and besides which poverty stricken person in their right mind would buy a car that’s expensive to run and well past the age you can get parts for it – which is why it went: I could no longer be bothered with hunting down parts.

kimbers

Our Bosch dishwasher , oven & hob have been faultless last 5 years

Samsung washing machine has caused no end of grief tho.

Delonghi kettle & toaster both barely lasted a year, Aldi replacements at a fraction of the cost doing well.

Our Miele vacuum cleaner wins the award tho- 12 years, & just won’t die, my parents on their 3rd Dyson in that time, my dad still insists that dysons are the best you can get.

jsync

#firstworldproblems

cb

Picking up on the falacy of German engineering quality, keep telling a German colleague of mine about us buying German and he pisses himself, he thinks home made stuff is shite! At least us Brits remain world leaders in prissy, condescending and dismissive customer service…

Im talking to you NEFF!!

cb

Jsync, thanks for coming…

jeffl

Had our Henry vacuum for 12 years. Still going strong.

Interestingly our Bosch dishwasher started leaking a couple of days ago. Must be 10 years old. Anyway banged the serial number into the Bosch website and ordered a replacement lower door seal for £30. Arrived today, will take about 30 minutes to replace tomorrow. It’s made in Germany if that makes any difference.

Saying that for cars I don’t think you can beat Japanese build. Checked and my old accord has hit 200,000 miles for it’s 13th birthday.

sirromj

hot_fiat

Would BSHG not give you a concession on your old one? Usually if the cost of parts, + the service call out fee exceeds about £230 they’ll quietly scrap your old one and offer you a massive discount in a new one – even out of warranty stuff. Our 5-year-old heat pump dryer died recently and they sold me the latest equivalent for £130, saving about £600!

Know what you’re saying though. They’re now engineered to a spec that outlasts the warranty, whereupon they rapidly descend into a pile of scrap. Our Siemens dishwasher needed a new heater this week, the control panel has now gone loopy. I’ll call bshg back out on Monday and hopefully they can condemn it. Still better than any Electrolux/whirlpool group device that I’ve used, bug I’m no longer convinced they’re worth the premium.

VWG, unreliable? Ah-ha-ha-ha! <Cries a little, looks at latest invoice for t5 van parts>

Flaperon

Neff / Bosch / Siemens all same company for the most part with kitchen appliances. They just rebadge a generic Chinese item, which is why they only last a few years.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Have you got any better ideas with what to do with a 20-year-old dish washer, Chromolyolly?

There are usually places about at will take your working stuff and give it a good home where they will run it til it is well and truly dead. Have a Google, ask around.

Given that recycling centres really don’t re-use is about the only safe option.

cb

Hot fiat – customer service have offered 25% discount on parts. They hinted at ‘beyond economic repair’ but wouldn’t / couldn’t commit unless i pay them 99 quid to come out. And a different department deals with that and only the engineer can speak to them etc etc…
    Would still be 200 quid to get it working again Thinking the kitchen ornament is the way forward!

chakaping
    Free Member

Could you maybe just use it as a drawer, if it’s not doing any warming?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Neff / Bosch / Siemens all same company for the most part with kitchen appliances. They just rebadge a generic Chinese item, which is why they only last a few years.

Not quite, but they do buy up cheap Turkish, Spanish, Romanian etc. factories to make the lower end stuff with their badges on to sell to people who buy appliances by brand names only. Their higher end stuff is made in Germany and UK.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@Chakaping – yes and put a disposable BBQ in one of your other drawers?

finbar
    Free Member

So, if not Neff / Siemens / Bosch, who is good for white, er, goods?

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

We have had a couple of Neff ovens and I’m not really sure why we bought the second one. They are nice looking ovens and have a reasonable set of features but I’m really not convinced that they really are very good at all. Wouldn’t get another one. Despite what’s been said above I would probably look at a Bosch. We have a few Bosch appliances in the house and all of them are doing pretty well. Good reliability hence would consider buying again. Would also consider Miele but they are often ridiculously expensive and have a knack for making “not very attractive” looking appliances. Miele hoover though has been a good purchase and is still going strong. They also offer the option of a service that will bring it back pretty much as good as new if you do get an issue. Difficult to know who the go to manufacturers are now for white goods as so many of them are just conglomerates that put different badges on the front depending what market they are trying to sell to. For us, something like a fridge or freezer we’re not so bothered by as they generally seem to function reasonably so it comes down to the layout, capacity and size of the unit rather than the label. Currently have a Hotpoint fridge (had it for probably 8 or so years so far) and a Beko freezer (also around 8-10 years). Apart from the freezer door handle snapping off it has done its job. Ovens are a bit more complex and I would rather try and find a more reliable “brand” although, as mentioned earlier, this seems to be getting harder to nail down

johnx2
    Free Member

Interestingly our Bosch dishwasher started leaking

I think I’ll be the judge of that…

doomanic

BSHG?

My mother was referring to Neff as Naf 25 years ago. Seems like nothing has changed.

Drac

You need to check with Edukator and his wife to see which brands they’ve heard of.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does it have to have middle class snob value or just work?

We have always found Beko to be very good… not sure if they do such important things as plate warming draws though 🙄

By the way who really has a plate warming draw, I can’t think of a bigger waste of money or space!

jam-bo

well i’ve got a samsung oven being delivered tomorrow so hopefully it meets with STW approval..

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Beko induction hob double oven unit, and jumbo fridgefreezer here, both worked perfectly* for 7 years so far. Bosch washing machine, now 11 (ish) years old, still going strong. Bosch tumble dryer, first one went 8 years, “new” one now 3 years old. Bosch dishwasher, we’ve had it 7 years and it was bought second hand, still works fine.

Also, first gen Dyson hoover, again never been touched bar cleaning out the various tubes – still sucks plenty.

HTH.

* ok, well, both oven elements have failed once each and needed replacing at £10 a go, but I can take that on the chin. And the fridge drawers now have a few cracks.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘When did Neff start making rubbish…?’ is closed to new replies.