• This topic has 31 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • when did knifes start getting removed from checked luggage ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I flew out to work today and checked my bag in at the airport – coming to somewhere with little/no food/facilities so I took a george foreman , chopping board, an inexpensive knife (a paring knife so nothing massive or exciting) a cup , plate , bowl and a set of cutlery.

I arrived here and fine that first up my bags open about an inch and my padlocks only through one eye of the zip.

and when I unpack I find no knife – and they were looking for it as it was taped to the inside of a box.

A quick google says apparently its quite common for this to happen.

How come ?

footflaps

No idea.

But I thought only something like 30% of checked luggage was x-rayed…

trail_rat
    Free Member

I must have got unlucky then ! annoying none the less – although at least I still have my George foreman

bikebouy
    Free Member

Could have come out on the x-ray, they’re bound to open and remove it.

Could you not buy a knife when at your destination?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I can but not till the weekend + assorted hassle of west African supermarkets

But really why go to the hassle of removing ? its in the hold so what risk does it pose ?

NewRetroTom

Why do they care whether people have a kitchen knife in their checked luggage? I don’t understand…

irc

BA website seems to say knives are OK in checked baggage.

You can only take objects with a sharp point/edge which can be used to cause serious injury in your checked baggage (not on your person or in your hand baggage). Examples include:

items designed for chopping, such as axes, hatchets and cleavers
    ice axes and ice picks
    razor blades
    box cutters
    knives with blades of more than 6cm
    scissors with blades of more than 6cm as measured from the fulcrum
    martial arts equipment with a sharp point or sharp edge
    swords and sabres

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/liquids-and-restrictions

Rockhopper
    Free Member

How was the padlock opened? Someone has half inched it most likely.

mogrim

It should have been allowed, assuming it was safely packed. CBA to check all carriers, but Ryanair certainly allows them:

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/terms-and-conditions/termsandconditionsar_696869348 (see 8.10.3)

mogrim

Someone has half inched it most likely.

This

jimdubleyou

Put a damaged / lost luggage claim into the airline?

nedrapier

I took a 12 inch kukri to utah for a camping holiday. flew to BA, and AA (?) inside the US. No issues, still with me.

I was a little shocked in the 1st place that my wife got it back Nepal. I’d expected that would be trickier.

Anyway, you can travel with guns, so what’s the issue?

footflaps

Anyway, you can travel with guns, so what’s the issue?

That’s a God given right!

nedrapier

Maybe the baggage handlers/x-ray artists have similar issues with weekends and the assorted hassle of west African supermarkets?

trail_rat
    Free Member

it was a 5 pound knife.

TSA Padlock so they probably stuck their key in to check it.

was far more valuable stuff in the bag so quite odd really.

maccruiskeen

when did knifes start getting removed from checked luggage ?

probably since a few days ago when 5 people in an airport were killed with a weapon taken out of checked luggage

Cougar

probably since a few days ago when 5 people in an airport were killed with a weapon taken out of checked luggage

So it’s been taken for safety, or because someone inside an airport wanted a knife?

Probably worth reporting as presumably it’ll be recorded / checked in somewhere if removed legitimately.

km79
    Free Member

or because someone inside an airport wanted a knife?

Or wanted a knife with someone else’s finger prints all over it!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I dont think I’ll bother reporting it…..Be lucky to find that desk in the airport 🙂

phinbob

I had a nice, (really small) custom knife that disappeared from my luggage coming to the UK from the US. I was quite upset, but I guess now we just accept that stuff will get stolen from our checked luggage.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Could you not just buy the cooking stuff at the other end? A George Foreman must have bumped the weight of the bag a lot anyway.

phinbob – Member 
    I had a nice, (really small) custom knife that disappeared from my luggage coming to the UK from the US. I was quite upset, but I guess now we just accept that stuff will get stolen from our checked luggage.

Heathrow? There’s a reason why it used to be known as Theifrow

cornholio98
    Free Member

Out of interest, is it a requirement to use a TSA padlock when not flying to the US it being a strictly US institution?

CountZero

Does make you worry about putting a quality multitool like a Gerber or Leatherman into your checked baggage in case some thieving scumbag takes a shine to it…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Could you not just buy the cooking stuff at the other end? A George Foreman must have bumped the weight of the bag a lot anyway”

A 2 portion grill weighs next to sod all. I normally fly with a bag weighing 10kg. Which left 14kg for food and cooking shit brought in from where food and cooking shit is easy to get and cheap

thecaptain
    Free Member

Last time I flew to the USA I had the TSA padlocks nicked off the luggage 😉

Wasn’t really that bothered, only 3 quid eBay jobs, but why would anyone want them?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Only ever had the TSA padlocks opened on going to US. They have an indicator showing they have been. EU flights they don’t seem to give a crap and never touched them.

Though the padlocks are hardly secure. Just need the TSA key which must be dead simple to get a copy and would open all TSA padlocks.

I mainly use the padlocks just to encourage the bag to stay shut rather than bust open on the tarmac or luggage belt. That and ensuring I’ve locked it for insurance purposes.

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s very easy to open bag zip using a pen.

Just insert the pen into the zip then pry it opens then zip back.

The padlock is just a padlock cos it is not at all secured.

The weakest link in a zip bag is the zip.

That’s why I only use zip tie for all my bags.

If they want to open it they just cut the zip tie so I know it has been opened.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Just for clarity, checked luggage means suitcases, large duffel bags that you hand over at check in. Hand luggage is what you carry on the plane and put in your overhead locker.

I have carried various knives, mulit-tools as checked in luggage and never had a problem. (Even as carry on once, in this day and age!!!!).

Did you actually pack the knife or is there a chance that you forgot it?

If the authorities took your knife then they would have given you a receipt and questioned you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

24kg is a bit much for carry on no ?

I taped it to the inside of a box holding other stuff so that the knife didnt get bent inside my soft duffle.

My padlock had been removed and the box had been opened as the tape on the box had been removed and the knife was missing- you wouldnt have “happened upon it” just searching my bag,

The other stuff in the box was still there though.

Probably heathrow as i had a short transfer at schipol with bags straight through and then got off in luanda.

Toddboy
    Free Member

A paring knife shouldn’t bend though, even in transit. May puncture However, taping it to the underside of a box could arouse some doubt?

trail_rat
    Free Member

To the iInside of a box. Containting a chopping board a set of cutlery a cup and a bowl……

Wonder why it was there.

Drac

and AA (?) inside the US. No issues, still with me.

Well that’s no shock.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘when did knifes start getting removed from checked luggage ?’ is closed to new replies.