Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • When did it become acceptable to leave your rubbish behind?
  • lazybike
    Free Member

Went to the cinema yesterday, couldn’t believe all the rubbish that people leave behind, surely if you can carry it in you can carry out.

carlosg
    Free Member

people just don’t give a damn! I’m a postie (no I don’t drop rubber bands) and came round a corner last week to see a guy who was delivering leaflets drop the wrappings off a bundle onto the floor despite the fact he was stood right next to a waste bin. I pointed out the bin and got told to F’ off.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cinema is annoying. I went up Snowdon yesterday. The litter dropped on there just make me despair for the future of man kind.

Oh, to answer the op. It never did. Some people just need shooting.

slowoldman

It was never acceptable and never will be. That includes banana and orange skins on the hill. As you say, if you can carry it in you can carry it out.

andyl
    Free Member

I pointed out the bin and got told to F’ off.

Should have gone postal on him 😀

I have taken to picking up rubbish now when out on walks i the hills as litter annoys me and i worry that once it takes hold people will just drop more. One benefit of having a quantity of nappy/poo bags in your pocket is you always have something to collect rubbish in.

I used to have to take a carrier bag to pick up all the energy drink cans and crisp packets in the fields at the back were the cows are from the local school kids but the parish council/school now fund a lady to go round and clear up the rubbish from the area that the kids drop.

The rubbish is generally cheap value brand stuff from the post office/village shop the kids stop at on the way home.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

lazybike – it has never been acceptable. For some of us, it never even occurs to us to drop/leave litter.
    I am thankful that I seem to have drilled this into my kids’ heads as well.

lazybike
    Free Member

I get the kids dropping rubbish, it’s a kid thing to do, but couples and families? There’s bins just outside the door 🙄 It makes me wonder about peoples mindset.

lazybike
    Free Member

it never even occurs to us to drop/leave litter.
    I am thankful that I seem to have drilled this into my kids’ heads as well.

Glad I’m not the only one 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I forgot this was at the cinema. I don’t get it either. I do feel sorry for the cinema workers who have to clear up the mess when it’s bad and they generally appreciate it when you put it in the bin they are holding open by the exit for you to put it in before they head in to clean up.

Edric64
    Free Member

Pen y Fan is covered in filth (walking and dropped) on the Storey Arms path .Its the easiest way up so the great unwashed in Sports Direct and Superdry gear walk it and drop there lager and Monster energy cans all over the mountain

onehundredthidiot

Saw a family heading into corrie fee one with a “weekender offender” hoodie. Father figure was carrying a glass irn bru bottle. Which he didn’t have when I saw him later. Couldn’t be bothered carrying it back out even for the deposit.

The reason we can’t have nice things.

cookeaa

I used to work in a cinema (almost twenty years ago) we had a garden vacuum for clean up between screening, necessary because a good proportion of customers would leave their rubbish and a large quantity of popcorn / sweets all over the floor/seats… So it’s been the norm for a while…

welshfarmer

I’ve always said that all the problems in the world could be cured overnight if anyone who has deliberately dropped rubbish was culled from the planet. Harsh? Maybe, but if you don’t give a shit about this shared pile of rock we all inhabit that you are prepared to throw you shit on the floor, then I am sorry, you do not deserve to be here. That goes for industrialists and governments too 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

and cigarettes out of car windows. What part of it still being littering do they not understand?

saw a woman throw a cigarette butt and empty a coke can out of the window of a rental van when stuck in a queue the other day. Was tempted to send a photo of the van to the (national) rental company so they could charge her for cleaning of the van which I am sure has a “no smoking” policy.

lazybike
    Free Member

Maybe the cinema workers should just leave it all there…shouldn’t take too long before people get the hint.

lazybike
    Free Member

So it’s been the norm for a while…

I don’t go that often, and normally at quieter times, so a saturday afternoon sell out really highlighted it for me..

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I think some peoples mantra is “someone else will do it” sad world we live in.

jambourgie
    Free Member

welshfarmer – Member
    I’ve always said that all the problems in the world could be cured overnight if anyone who has deliberately dropped rubbish was culled from the planet. Harsh? Maybe, but if you don’t give a shit about this shared pile of rock we all inhabit that you are prepared to throw you shit on the floor, then I am sorry, you do not deserve to be here. That goes for industrialists and governments too

Just playing Devils Avocado here but this country is all owned by somebody. The barely tolerated hordes are tied up in a stifling mass of rules, laws and regulations. And all watched over by the cold eye of CCTV. You talk about the planet as if we share it, but it’s all private property. You can buy a bit or rent a bit for ludicrous amounts of money and that’s as good as it gets. So I can understand if some people don’t give a toss if they’ve left a bottle on the duke of Westminster’s land.

Just saying, I hate littering myself.

lightman
    Free Member

I live by the beach, you should see the crap that gets left behind when there is a sunny day!
    Luckily, there is a tractor which cleans up the beach every day (we didn’t always have one), but riding/walking along the prom in the evening after the dirty pigs have left is just disgusting.

lazybike
    Free Member

I guess the bottom line is that a lot of people just don’t care, be nice to know why though.

Greybeard
    Free Member

and cigarettes out of car windows. What part of it still being littering do they not understand?

The traffic lights had just turned red, and the guy in the car in front threw a cigarette out of the window. I knew the lights would be red for 3 min, so I had time to pick it up and give it back to him. He was gobsmacked, but took it and put it in the ashtray in his car.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

I was sat at a viewpoint carpark the other day, having breather.
    A small hatchback containing 4 young girls (late teens I guess, I wasn’t looking too closely*) parks up and they chat away about how pretty it is up here while eating their McDonalds.
    When they finish, the car starts up, four bags of McDonalds rubbish are chucked out of the windows and they drive off.
    I caught them at the carpark exit and pointed out what they had done, and was met with four bemused faces – they genuinely didn’t see that they had done anything wrong. “That’s why the council have cleaners, innit” said one of them.
    I ended up putting it in the bin myself (no more than 10 feet from where they had parked).

*I had swmbo with me…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ve always said that all the problems in the world could be cured overnight if anyone who has deliberately dropped rubbish was culled from the planet. Harsh? Maybe, but if you don’t give a shit about this shared pile of rock we all inhabit that you are prepared to throw you shit on the floor, then I am sorry, you do not deserve to be here. That goes for industrialists and governments too

Gotta start somewhere!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My mum used to clean a local cinema when I was a kid back in the late 70s. Used to take me sometimes so I could explore the spooky old auditorium. Back then litter was the odd dropped ice lolly or wotnot, and emptying ashtrays. Lots and lots of ashtrays.

onehundredthidiot

Edinburgh’s inverleith park is truly horrible after a sunny weekend.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Selfishness and dont give a shit about anyone else is why people do it.
    They dont care. They dont really care about anyone or anything that doesnt directly affect them.

Also rubbish attracts rubbish so if people see rubbish and litter and other people doing it then they do it.

Im forever cleaning up in my street.. whenever i walk down it i’ll pick it up and put it in the bin at the end of the road. No point in getting mad about it until you see the lazy arse thats dropped it then just go apeshit for fun.

PMK2060

I hate to see litter. We pulled up at a car park today to take my daughter to the park and the amount of McDonald’s rubbish was unbelievable.

scuttler

<flameproofsuit>
    The amount they charge in the cinema I’d expect someone else to clean up. </flameproofsuit>

Actually that’s probably what people probably think. Me – I’m from Yorkshire so smuggle food in from home.

As for rubbish in parks and out on the hills. I just don’t get it, but it seems from some of the comments on here people are just too thick and lazy – a devastating combination. I always end up bringing a few crisp packets, plastic bottles or cans home.

DrJ

Plus – they sell popcorn. Of course it gets spilled.

lazybike
    Free Member

they sell popcorn. Of course it gets spilled.

I don’t expect people to crawl about picking up spilled popcorn etc, just carry the box out and drop it in the bin.

zippykona

McDonald’s should put how to use a bin instructions on their packaging.

oldnpastit

saw a woman throw a cigarette butt and empty a coke can out of the window of a rental van when stuck in a queue the other day. Was tempted to send a photo of the van to the (national) rental company so they could charge her for cleaning of the van which I am sure has a “no smoking” policy.

On a couple of occasions now I’ve given people their cigarette butts back to them. It’s quite amusing, in a confrontational sort of way, but you need to have your exit well planned in advance….

IHN

As I have often said, when I am King Of The World the penalty for littering will be to eat what you drop.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

It makes me very angry – was out on the road bike doing the IOW round-the-island yesterday, stopped once at a carpark to use the facilities, found a (fat) family stuffing McDonalds in their car then chucking it out of the window – they had driven from Newport or Ryde (only ones on the island) to the south coast for the view, then chucked their shite on the ground.

Didn’t manage to intercept them as they sped off and the wind took the wrappers into the sea. 🙁

devash
    Free Member

Confucious say, man who shits in own back yard not so bright.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My local loop ( Greenham Common) is used by many and there are bins at car parks and dog poo bins, yet I still get poo on my bike and pass empty drink bottles and cans. I only just considered last week as to getting a litter grabber and taking the dog for a walk and clear some of it up, but fear it would wind me up even more, if I rode the following week and say the place was littered again. Also, one edge of the route is used by less desirables, who enjoy a different type of dog, so cant say I fancy clearing any of those items up…… 🙄

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Dropping rubbish is a horrid thing to do.

A study was carried out a few years ago on drivers that chucked rubbish out of the car windows it turned out that most drivers that chucked out rubbish also had a criminal record ! Part of the brain wired to I don’t care consequences !

On the other hand it keeps people in work

LHS
    Free Member

In October last year I took a photo of black cab driver literally emptying old sandwich boxes and crisp packets out of his car door onto the street. He saw me take the photo and asked what the F i was doing. I told him i would report him unless he picked it up and put it in the bin, he didn’t and told me to F off. So I reported him. Found out in December that it wasn’t the first time he had been reported and he had his taxi license suspended for 2 months. Worth reporting.

fasthaggis

I blame Thatcher’s crowd and bad parenting. 😈

NZCol

When we go to the Park on a Saturday morning i take my grabber and a big bag and clean up while my daughter plays, it’s just a good thing to do. When i was there on Saturday there were 3 other people doing the same thing and we had a chat about it – turns out they had seen me and thought it was a good idea so started doing it themselves. We’ve agreed to broaden our reach and tidy up the river (water of leith) so maybe this sort of stuff catches on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘When did it become acceptable to leave your rubbish behind?’ is closed to new replies.