Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • When did Easyjet change their T&C's?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

It looks like they have changed their T&C’c to give clarity on bikes and sporting goods, and probably a lot more besides…

There used to be a wonderful term in the Carrier T&C’s that said that bikes were exempt from excess baggage charges.

That meant that the additional 12Kg for sporting goods was actually a lot more as you can carry up to 50Kgs with Easyjet but no one bag being over 32Kgs.

Please be aware everyone jetting off soon. Pack light. It’s. Tenner a kilo, each way.

if we bought our tickets before the change in terms, will the old terms apply?

EDIT
    Sports equipment

T&C’s (section 20)

Bikes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Got a link? There used to be 2 terms that contradicted themselves IIRC?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yep, in edited post

kimbers

if we bought our tickets before the change in terms, will the old terms apply?

i suppose you have to find out when they changed and find a copy of the old terms?

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve always treated the T&C as 32kgs. The 50kg is maximum you can take but you’ll pay for anything extra over 32kg, but it did contradict itself and read that you could take 50kg if youve paid for a bike.

nickjb
    Free Member

Interesting grammatical error in the bicycle T&Cs where have they used ie instead of eg. Popular error but this might give a little room to stuff the box with other goodies.

kimbers

but it did contradict itself and read that you could take 50kg if youve paid for a bike.

i think theyve now removed that line

toys19
    Free Member

if I read that right its a max of 32 kgs for both your hold bag and your bike. That’s a killer for me as my dh bike in its bag with a few tools and a spare tyre is about 30 kg. My bag would be 18kg. Oh well easyjet is off the list then.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It does appear it has been changed. the old one clearly said bikes were excempt from excess baggage fees

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmm, it does look like they’ve changed doesn’t it, there used to be an explicit exemtion for bike from the weight limit.

Anoying that as last time my bike bag with a few spares/tools was 32kg. Seems a bit rubbish that if you pay the extra for an extra bag you just get another bag, not any weight allowance for it. And only 12kg to split between 2 bags!

There’s going to be a lot of people in the que with just hand luggage and dressed in full body armour this summer 😛

Wonder if the airports forced the change or if easyjet really lost money on bikes?

edit: I suppose its a very easy £20 ‘fine’ for every bike bag that they open and find anything that’s not part of the bike in there as the 1bag+1bike allowance says you can distribute bits between the two bags (or in this case the non existant second bag).

nickjb
    Free Member

You can always pop a bit more in your hand luggage:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/news/20040922_01.html

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It still contradicts itself when it says that you can distribute the weight between your sporting goods and your normal hold bag anyway you like but under the bike rules it says the bag or box must only contain the bicycle and not any other items.

Going to be tricky using them Easy Jet for mtb holidays now. Road bike and clothing would come under 32KG easily, not so sure about a heavy all mountain or DH bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I seem to rememeber someone saying BA will take a bike as normal luggage so in only worked out marginaly more, I guess seeing as most of us would ‘need’ ~30kg for the bike and another bag that’ be the 2 bags plus bike option, that BA might now be cheeper.

Edit: BA is 1 free bag + £34 per extra bag (presumably per flight so x2). But the bags are only 23kg. So you might get away with a heavy bike within reason, just put everything that’s not padding into the luggae bag rather than the bike. DH bikes might struggle though.

Some of the guys I went with last time felw with Ryan air and paid about the same total as I did with similar luggage. They were on DH bikes but didn’t use as much packing, just the bog standard bike boxes.

saxabar
    Free Member

Thanks for posting – I was wondering if that loophole was ever going to close!

falkirk-mark

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-flew-with-bikes-on-easyjet-recently

Dunno if this will help but we eventually found conflicting statements and printed the one that suited had no problems at airport either end.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno if this will help but we eventually found conflicting statements and printed the one that suited had no problems at airport either end.

It’s that conflicting statement that’s been removed 🙁

toons
    Free Member

I’ll find out next Wednesday 🙁

scuttler

When did Easyjet change their T&C’s?

About half an hour after Ryanair…

myheadsashed

Just packing and the road bike in a Neil Pryde bag lined with a cardboard box is just under 20kgs with shoes spares and bottles etc in there.

My other hold bag is 11.8 kgswith roadie gear and normal clothes.

Doesn’t bode well for the mtb………. 😯

MrTrump
    Free Member

It does appear it has been changed. the old one clearly said bikes were excempt from excess baggage fees

Its simple really, due to manual handling regulations, no one bag can be greater than 32kgs in weight, bike bags are excempt from excess baggage charges but must be under 32kg in weight. Other sports equipment has a max weight of 12kg, so if your snowboard bag, for example, is greater than 12kg you pay excess baggage. For you bike holiday, you normally book a hold bag and add your bike bag, you are allowed 20kg max in your hold bag and 32kg max in your bike bag. Hope this helps.

toys19
    Free Member

Doesn’t bode well for the mtb……….

Yup this has ruined it for me. I’m stuck between easyjet at bristol and flybe from my doorstep in exeter but they don’t guarantee to bring your bike “bicycles are on standby”.

Bum.

myheadsashed

That’s how it used to be.
    I think they’re saying it been amended for the worse

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mr trump – it appears to ahve changed – the exemption from excess baggage charges appaers to have been removed

jota180
    Free Member

but they don’t guarantee to bring your bike “bicycles are on standby”

I don’t think any of them guarantee to carry any of your hold luggage on the same flight

toys19
    Free Member

Mr trump, where does it say bikes are exempt? My reading of it is that its 32kg max combined weight, so if my bike bag was 32 kg I could not have any other hold baggage?

jota180, I just called flybe and it was the first thing they said.

MrTrump
    Free Member

Mr trump – it appears to have changed – the exemption from excess baggage charges appaers to have been removed

I agree but the 32kg max weight limit still applies, don’t forget you are only meant to pack you bike into the bag, not all your tools and riding gear. We normally use the body armour as packing and haven’t had an issue, the only problem we have had is being over the 32kg max.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

There’s going to be a lot of people in the que with just hand luggage and dressed in full body armour this summer

That’s what we’re planning anyway. Wear the 5.10’s put flip flops in the luggage type affair and what’s wrong with four pairs of kecks exactly?

We usually cram all sorts of stuff in,as long as the bike bags werent over 32Kg and hold bags not over 18Kg, we were let through without a hitch.

We rarely took much in the way of hand luggage as a result,mainly because we didn’t have to.

Looks like I’ll be taking one of them bags that folk try to cram into overhead lockers then! as long as its no larger than 56x45x25cm. 😀

MrTrump
    Free Member

Mr trump, where does it say bikes are exempt? My reading of it is that its 32kg max combined weight, so if my bike bag was 32 kg I could not have any other hold baggage?

For normal sports equipment it is a max of 32kg combined, i.e 20kg hold bag and 12kg snowboard equipment, for your bike you pay the sports equipment fee then refer to the carriage of bicylces section which states you are only allowed to pack you bike in the box / bag, of which the 32kg max applies. Learnt the hard way last year.

bowglie

Thanks for posting. Oh bu**er, s*d & da*n! This is going to be a potential nightmare, as Mrs B has already booked our flights for Italy trip in Sept. The plan was to do as last time and max out both bike bags with bikes & climbing gear. Looks like we’ll have to wear all of our fortnights worth of clothes and just pretend to be obese. (anyone got any XXXXL jackets they don’t want :wink:)

toys19
    Free Member

Yer I dont think it means what you think it means..

jota180
    Free Member

don’t forget you are only meant to pack you bike into the bag, not all your tools and riding gear

It doesn’t say that any more either as far as I can see

This is the old regs
    http://stafftravel.easyjet.com/en/book/regulations.html

toys19
    Free Member

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.

Jota180- exactly, above is the quote from the old regs

below is the quote from the new regs

You to an additional weight allowance of 12kgs and increases Your checked in Hold Baggage allowance to a maximum of 32kgs. A single item cannot weigh more than 32kgs in total.

It seems pretty clear to me that there is now way I could get a dh bike and armour and spares and all my clothes etc for a week in france/spain. I normally have a 30kg bike bag and 18kg hold bag..

MrTrump
    Free Member

@ jota 180
    Follow the link in 20.7 of the terms and conditions and it states the following for Bicylces

Bicycles
    BicyclesBicycles are permitted for carriage provided that specific criteria is met:

•The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag
    •Only one bicycle per box/bag is permitted
    •No other items can be carried in the bicycle box/bag (i.e. clothing)
    •The handlebars must be flush with the frame

•Pedals must be removed or flush against the frame

Bicycles with hydraulic suspensions or brake systems will be accepted.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

This is some baaaaad shiz peoples.

As someone who booked tickets on a specific basis I’ll be writing to complain shortly & would encourage anyone else to do the same. You pay for a bike bag containing only a bike & they allow you an extra 12kgs.

my AM bike is 36lbs = 13kg. The bike bag (essential under the new T&Cs) weighs in at a further 9kgs (not to mention the essential spares parts/tyres etc
    All this weight has to come out of your std. allowance and your other hold luggage.

It stinks of a sharp practice designed to steal additional profit from customers who have booked in good faith & will be mugged at the airport (usually only on the way home – when it’s harder to argue your case).

jota180
    Free Member

Got it Mr Trump

@crotchrocket you won’t be able to argue about the spares etc. taking it over the new limit as they were never permitted on the old regs

crotchrocket
    Free Member

yar – my point was that bike allowance gives you an extra 12kg.
    Thus: if the actual bike weighs 12kg, then the weight of the (essential) bag has to come out of your standard allowance. Thus you are actually being penalised – you can take LESS “clothing” than a std passenger

to look at it another way: if you buy a bike allowance (12kg) they insist you have a bike bag.
    If the bike bag weighs in at 9kg then they are effectively charging you for a Bike Allowance for a bike that can weigh a maximum of 3kg.
    Lunacy!

Edric64
    Free Member

Has anyone used s and s couplings and put their bike in a standard large suitcase ?Is it cheaper to do this and pay any excess baggage charge.?
    I know the couplings are about 600 quid but is it worth it for regular travel?

toys19
    Free Member

A 12 kg bike is 26.5 pounds…

This is depressing. I love my dh holidays. 😥

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I can get my tandem well packed up in a 32 kilo bag

You still have 32 kgs do you not – just before you had 50 kgs if you had a bike

jota180
    Free Member

Monarch used to give you 32kg for the bike bag, not sure if they still do though

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘When did Easyjet change their T&C's?’ is closed to new replies.