Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • When bikers get angry with photographers…
  • jamied
    Free Member

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, sorry if it’s a repost.

Photographer getting run over by a mountain biker at the BDS, ouch!

http://hcracer.com/2013/07/03/photographer-gets-taken-out-by-mountain-biker-at-llangollen/

fatboyjon

Did the photogapher get a decent shot out if it though?

AlexSimon

Disappointed – I was expecting the rider to have a go at the guy for distracting him or something.

Drac

Throw the book at him he was obviously going to fast and didn’t see the photographer.

D0NK

no he shit it and started to get out the way, where’s your commitment man? People these days…..
    😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ouch, but if he’s within the tapes it’s his own fault!

matt_outandabout

pffft.

D0NK

ouch, but if he’s within the tapes it’s his own fault!

looked like he was lying directly under the tapes, rider seemed to go through them anyway.

I presume if you go to watch a race and a rider crashes and falls through the tape onto you there’s no comeback? Or is that part of your race organisers insurance?

Northwind

Aye, tapes made no difference, bike and rider were still going to get him. Just part and parcel of standing right beside a sporting event, no right or wrong.

wwaswas

the rider was already pulling themselves out the tape at the beginning of the clip.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Pretty sure the photographer is outside the tape, or at least under it. But it wasn’t the best place to position to be in.

So 50/50 in blame. No compensation to be awarded 🙂

legend
    Free Member

pretty certain he was just off track for a rest or a look at something at the start – standard DH practice

unklehomered
    Free Member

Rider doesn’t look to me like he’s going to make that corner photographer or no.

MSP

Don’t see the anger the thread title alludes to.

I wonder if the rider became “obstacle fixated” (I forget the proper term), where he saw the photographer in his line of vision and then couldn’t help head straight for him.

jam-bo

the link on the dirt website had comment from both the photographer and the rider. I think they kissed and made up.

cookeaa

Entirely the photographers fault, it’s all about picking a safe position thinking about what the riders are likely to do on the track really…

He’s put himself on the outside of a bend after the landing to a hip jump, and he’s laid down ight by the tape, so if someone makes a hash of that landing, runs wide or carrys a bit much speed, that’s where their momentum is going to take them and the bike, and being sat/laid down kind of reduces any chances of getting out of the way… was that angle really worth it?

Could he not get a decent shot from the oposite side of the track (Riders LH side)?

Just because you’re outside the tape doesn’t mean the riders and their bikes won’t hit you, it’s tape not a magic force-field…

jamied
    Free Member

@MSP I was joking about the anger

@jam bo, there are links to the photos of the crash after the video in the link. I think it all ended well

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol at the slowmo with included sound… o o o o o h h h h s h i i i i i i t t t

DezB
    Free Member

Photos are great 🙂

here

Entirely the photographers fault
    Is anyone arguing with that?

Next time I’ll stay a few feet further back and on my feet so I can get out of the way in time

STATO
    Free Member

Entirely the photographers fault, it’s all about picking a safe position thinking about what the riders are likely to do on the track really…

Photographer was well out the way, only guy to jump that far was that rider. Read the photographers viewpoint before passing blame. If you want to blame someone then the organisers should tape off risky areas to public access not just a piece of tape.

Northwind

STATO – Member

If you want to blame someone then the organisers should tape off risky areas to public access

Be realistic, people can crash anywhere, do you want an exclusion zone round the whole track? Or do you want spectators to be able to get close if they like, but think for themselves?

cookeaa

Photographer was well out the way…

apart from when he got hit of course…

Entirely the photographers fault
    Is anyone arguing with that?

Well yeah; a couple of people further up seemed to think it was “50/50 Blame” or that riders (sorry racers) shouldn’t be traveling at speed or risking loss of control… in a race/race practice? eh?
    Others seem to think the organizers need to herd spectators to “Safe” areas or something…

TBH most people can assess the Riskier Vs Safer places to watch and photographing a DH race from and avoid the more dangerous points, this instance is the exception not the norm…

I don’t think all the waffle about liability or blame further up this thread is at all realistic…
    Just so long as people know that putting themselves in silly positions next to a race course is entirely their own choice and blame should they get hit cannot be passed on to organizers or riders…

I hate to sound like a git but it’s simply not a riders job to think about/predict where spectators/photographers have gone and put themselves, they are only responsible for their own safety…

Obviously the Snapper and the rider were fine and not all that bothered, but some on here seem to have some fanciful ideas when it comes to being responsible for your own safety as a spectator…

STATO
    Free Member

Others seem to think the organizers need to herd spectators to “Safe” areas or something…

That was supposed to be sarcastic, think i forgot the requisite smiley.

mickolas
    Free Member

loving “the sound of inevitability is ‘oh SH#T!’, in this case in a scottish accent”!

jamied
    Free Member

Yes, it’s like “there’s nothing I can do about this now, I’ve committed, the only thing left to do is swear”

deluded
    Free Member

From the other side. This is the picture James Lacey took of the rider just before he landed on him 😯

100mphplus
    Free Member

I had a similar crash to that years ago where I took out a photgrapher. After asking him if he was ok, my next question was ‘did you get the shot?’ 😆

Thankfully he was a true professional and had kept his finger on the shutter and I got some crackin photos off him 😀

jamied
    Free Member

@100mphplus lets see em then

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘When bikers get angry with photographers…’ is closed to new replies.