Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • When BIG things close pass
  • DezB
    Free Member

It’s all ok though. Cos, we shouldn’t **** be there, obviously
    https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/moment-bus-knocks-cyclist-bike-2853635

Mister-P
    Free Member

The poor Devonlive website can’t take the increased traffic Dez, you’ve broken it.

PJay
    Free Member

I had this about a year ago; it’s not big (although I’ve had plenty of those) but fits the “must get passed” category. I’m pretty certain that it relied on myself and the coach driver to respond to avoid an accident.

The GoPro’s about 10″ inboard of the end of the bars so the pass was closer than it looks.

https://youtu.be/r9cH_k-XOU4

PJay
    Free Member

Sorry, the video link went wrong!

DezB
    Free Member

Another total moron.
    There was a ‘traffic wars’ type thing on last night. I gritted my teeth and watched the cycling section against my better judgement. Yeah, as fun as I expected. Even 6 year old kids getting close passed by caravans. I do understand why people give up road cycling/commuting. You can only survive as long as I have with pure luck really.

[edit]what imean is, survival instincts, road positioning, experience and all that only get you so far when lorries, buses etc can just hit you from behind because they just don’t give a shit

Mister-P
    Free Member

“must get passed”

If someone needs to overtake you then they “must get past”

If you need someone to overtake you then you “must get passed”

As they come past you are being passed.

PJay
    Free Member

“must get passed”

If someone needs to overtake you then they “must get past”

If you need someone to overtake you then you “must get passed”

As they come past you are being passed.

Indeed; I clearly spent too much time faffing with the video!

ta11pau1

I had this about a year ago; it’s not big (although I’ve had plenty of those) but fits the “must get passed” category. I’m pretty certain that it relied on myself and the coach driver to respond to avoid an accident.

The GoPro’s about 10″ inboard of the end of the bars so the pass was closer than it looks.

https://youtu.be/r9cH_k-XOU4

I was thinking ‘that wasn’t so bad…. OH! OH GOD!’

There’s a reason why I try and avoid cycling on roads as much as I can.

stumpy01

PJay

Jesus. That’s pretty terrible!
    I saw the Mini come past & thought ‘dunno what you’re complaining about….’ – then the van towing the car came past!! It would have been bad enough had it not been towing a car, but then to see the rope & another car be dragged through! Arsehole.

stumpy01

PJay

Indeed; I clearly spent too much time faffing with the video!

No one had the slightest idea what you were on about until the spelling/grammar police arrived!
    I thought you were talking about something that happened a long long time ago…..in the passed….
    🙂

PJay
    Free Member

Avon & Somerset Police (my patch of the country) are out today with camera equipped cycles to catch dangerous drivers; unfortunately the one they showed on the local news this morning was in uniform & wearing a bright fluorescent top to give everyone a warning (there are plain closed ones too though).

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/news/2019/05/police-cyclists-to-carry-cameras-to-target-dangerous-drivers/

Mister-P
    Free Member

That’s a great advert for Cycliq cameras. I’ll forward the link to our Cycliq brand manager.

sobriety
    Free Member

Last year I had some muppet in an astra half overtake and swerve at me after I maintained the primary postion after a dodgy junction as I was turning right in 100m and signalling to do so, I would’ve been out to the white line about 2 seconds after he started the overtake if he hadn’t been so impatient. I do it every day on my commute, and once or twice a year some prat takes exception to it, bearing in mind its a 30 limit, and usually in heavy traffic (which is why I maintain the primary, there’s little point moving in, only to have to move back out seconds later).

The funny part is that I made the universal “you sir, self pleasure” gesture and he stopped and got out to remonstrate…just beyond my right turn. So 1. he couldn’t have been in that much of a hurry, and 2. My response to him walking towards me was to shout “I was turning right you ****” and then disappear off down the right turn….

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘When BIG things close pass’ is closed to new replies.