Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • When Bands stay good (or get good again)
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Good shout on Beck.loads already mentioned but Prince (i know,i,know), Aphex Twin , QOTSA, Björk, Tribe called Quest, Brian eno, Squarepusher, Nick Cave, Animal collective/ Panda Bear, Tom Waits, LCD although didn’t like the new single

mikey74
    Free Member

Eh? QOTSA get worse with every release. SFTD was great, but it’s been dramatically downhill since.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Again, lots of Bands nobody but you lot have ever heard of..

Except Sabbath and Abba 😆

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Now I’m a massive Sabbath fan, but really? All their best material came out in the space of about 4 years starting in 1970! Nothing since Technical Ecstasy has really come close to the good stuff.

Yeah, you’re right I guess. 13 was pretty good though…

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for Clutch.

Machine Head are seem to produce the odd ropey album but follow it up with sonething good; Locust was a proper turkey of an album but Bloodstones sees them back on form.

Someone mentioned the Deftones, but I’ve struggled with their albums since Atound the Fur.

DezB
    Free Member

Nick Cave and Bjork! Good call(s). Jack White… maybe – hoping for a return to form after Lazaretto was a bit meh.

Again, lots of Bands nobody but you lot have ever heard of
    All very mainstream on this thread.

Changing that though, as it won’t mean much to many – Alex Smoke. Consistently great electronicy maestro Scottish fella. Loads of strings to his bow too.
    Couple of Brit rapper/grimey types – Wiley and Roots Manuva.

jamj1974

bikebouy – Member

I genuflect at the altar of your infinite coolness. 😉

IdleJon

Eh? QOTSA get worse with every release. SFTD was great, but it’s been dramatically downhill since.

SFTD was an atypical blip. Take that out and they’ve maintained the same sort of quality throughout. (Although I think Era Vilgaris is dreadful and Like Clockwork a masterpiece! 😀 )

lovewookie

Maiden are an obvious, were great, went a bit iffy, but are back being great in an Iron Maiden way.

as said, mew model army are a constant, great live, not too much of a fan myself but mrs wookie loves them.

Gary Numan, still producing great music and excellent live.

Radiohead have quite a sound. have morphed into the kinda experimental ‘moving with technology’ type band, but do it well, and again, live leaves you with a warm and fuzzy melancholy.

fatmax

Nick Cave is getting better with age in my eyes.

mikey74
    Free Member

SFTD was an atypical blip. Take that out and they’ve maintained the same sort of quality throughout. (Although I think Era Vilgaris is dreadful and Like Clockwork a masterpiece! )

The self-titled debut was good, as was Rated R, but anything after SFTD is a waste of time. It’s sad as I loved Kyuss, and Homme is a very talented musician, but he clearly needed that input from Oliveiri to make decent music.

deadkenny
    Free Member

ps44 – Member 
    Nine Below Zero. Awesome in the early 1980’s, still smashing it out now.

Just trying to find Young Ones clip, and bloody BBC have blocked every single one on You Tube. “This video contains content from BBC Worldwide, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds”.

I pay the licence fee that pays for it and can’t view it. Outside the UK it is likely available to watch! 👿

isto
    Free Member

QOTSA, Nick Cave, PJ Harvey I would definitely agree with. I would also add Mogwai, Aphex Twin and Coldcut.

Jay Z really? He would top of my “stay bad, always bad” thread along with many other bad hip hop and r’n’b acts. Tribe Called Quest for me should be added to the “good” list.

The self-titled debut was good, as was Rated R, but anything after SFTD is a waste of time. It’s sad as I loved Kyuss, and Homme is a very talented musician, but he clearly needed that input from Oliveiri to make decent music.

I think all their stuff is ace, but would totally disagree with this. If anything their music has been more focused (probably for various reasons) since Oliveiri was sacked.

The two new tracks of the new album for me are proof of this. They just keep getting musically better.

rOcKeTdOg

What’s the first Clutch album i should listen to?

Inbred456
    Free Member

Very hard to stay relevant when the money rolls in and the accountants get involved. Edgy brilliant fresh 1st album. 2nd polished well produced but still relevant mega seller. 3rd and onwards commercial over produced banal sh!te.

johndoh
    Free Member

when the money rolls in and the accountants drugs get involved

FTFY

slowoldman

Yes definitely Nick Cave.

A shame to discount Zappa back up there simply because he’s dead. He was a genius from beginning to end (which seems to me to be what the thread title means) and still would be now if he was alive.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Agree Deftones still produce great songs. Gore is fantastic.
    I still like The Darkness , some recent stuff is great rock.
    An old favourite of mine Magnum are still going strong and releasing good music.

CountZero

bikebouy – Member

Except Sabbath and Abba

Eh? There’s lots mentioned that are very definitely mainstream, only a very few I’m not that familiar with, but then, whenever I’m forced to listen to Radio 1, I very rarely hear anyone I actually know.
    And that goes for the national charts!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned Bruce Springsteen yet?

Consistently good.

slowoldman

Well, consistent.

donks
    Free Member

when the money rolls in and the accountants drugs get involved

I’d argue that in some cases the music deteriorated when the bands got clean

funkmasterp

What’s the first Clutch album i should listen to?

I’d say Blast Tyrant is a good place to start. It’s got some of the heaviness of their earlier work, but the groove and blues influences are starting to appear. I’m a fan of all their stuff though. Each album is a bit different, but still sounds like them.

Their singer is a brilliant, surreal lyricist and has a belting voice. The best description I’ve heard of him is ‘a possessed preacher with the voice of ten men”

If you start with Electric Worry as a single and then try Blast Tyrant you’ll know if you like them or not. I see them as a history of rock music in one band. Possibly my favourite band too and brilliant live.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UAHO-trROm8[/video]

rOcKeTdOg

Cheers 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Clutch have an awesome drummer as well: He really provides a strong groove.

I’d also recommend Earth Rocker, but Blast Tyrant is great, too “Please allow me to adjust my pants so I may dance the good time dance” :mrgreen:

darrell
    Free Member

Marillion

Speshpaul

Pearl Jam.
    still moving me:-)

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Motorhead
    AC/DC

Caher

New Order & Depeche Mode, still squeezing out good stuff.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Got to agree with Rumbledumps and his choice of The Afghan Whigs ..the last two albums are stunning ..( In Spades / Do To The Beast) ..currently touring the UK
    Released yesterday ..Steven Wilson’s new album “To The Bone “..possibly the best work he has released certainly as a solo artist ..and I’m a fan of Blackfield & Porcupine Tree ..not so much No Man .

RoterStern
    Free Member

Killing Joke.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘When Bands stay good (or get good again)’ is closed to new replies.