Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • When Bands stay good (or get good again)
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So, bands that have been consistently great throughout their careers or had a renaissance.

Chemical Brothers. Still enjoy their new material 20 years after their debut.

Underworld. Barbara Barbara a real return to form. Karl Hydes work with Brian Eno really good as well.

Damon Albarn. Never a really a Blur fan until Think Tank but lots of stuff from Gorillaz, Good, the bad. Africa Express, Mali Music, DRC music, production on Tony Allen. So much interesting work.

Gruff Rhys. Somehow completely missed the SFA though the 90’s (got into them through his solo work) but all his projects are interesting.

tdog
    Free Member

Having listened to OK Computer and realising Radiohead are depressing to then seeing them mesmerise the crowd at Glastonbury truly stunned me.

They have stayed true and have a loyal following for that.

Oh and to top it off Phil Selway is a top bloke! 😉

RustySpanner

ABBA.
    Half Man Half Biscuit.
    The Beatles.
    Zappa.

cokie

NOFX- First Ditch Effort was an awesome album. Much more polished and better recording quality, yet kept some of the punk roots. Lovely.

Future To The Left- A Peace & Truce Of.. was also a fantastic album. Just carried on the weirdness.

hatter

Clutch, going since 1990 and still cranking out some quality riffage, with their last 2 albums containing some of their best.

Case in point:

[video]https://youtu.be/X8cmbmwFAl8[/video]

jekkyl

The Doors!
    Opinions vary over The Soft Parade, which some don’t like but I rate. BUT L.A. Woman is on a par with, if not better than their first album.

john_drummer
    Free Member

New Model Army. Formed 1980, only the lead singer Justin Sullivan remains of the original line-up.

Hardly heard of n the mainstream but still touring to large audiences – especially in Europe (see the recent Woodstock festival in Poland) – and releasing new albums, they’re a hard band to pigeon-hole. Not metal, not punk, continually evolving.

DezB
    Free Member

Any of those still going Rusty? 😉

Radiohead, yup.
    Underworld
    Jay-Z is on his 15th or so album and still damn good
    deUS 10th album was still great. 2012, so not sure if any more coming
    there may be a few more, but I’m fickle 8)

theotherjonv

The Wedding Present

The joke being that all the songs sound the same, but really they don’t and they’ve put out some brilliant albums in the last 10 years that are quite a contrast to their original ‘C86’ jangly guitar sound.

I mean they can still do that and live they’re still great, but to paraphrase John Peel “The boy Gedge continues to write some of the best love songs of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Era. You may dispute this, but I’m right and you’re wrong!”

The most STW song of all time?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSyLKb5gqR8[/video]

funkmasterp

I would have said Clutch, but beaten to it.

Modest Mouse, Manchester Orchestra, Queens of the Stone Age and The Shins for me. I also think Ugly Duckling and DJ Format are still great. Mainly because what they do hasn’t really changed and if it ain’t broke and all that.

kimbers

Tool, just get better admittedly it’s been 7 years since the last album but Maynard has kept it going with his side projects

DezB
    Free Member

Duh, how could i forget – Iggy. No not Izalea 😡

Garry_Lager

Dinosaur Jr’s comeback stuff was pretty strong. It possibly doesn’t stand out as anything special, because 1000 bands were influenced by Dinosaur in the interim, but it’s consistently good.

+1 for QotSA – although I’d have said more of a return to form then a staying good IMHO, sounded like they were running out of steam prior to Like Clockwork, which was superb.

CountZero

ABBA.
    Half Man Half Biscuit.
    The Beatles.
    Zappa.

Possibly arguable, as three out of the four no longer exist, but HMHB just keep turning out great, really funny songs with such well observed lyrics.
    And I’ve got tickets to see them in Bath.
    I’d second Blur as well, The Magic Whip was a surprisingly good album considering how long they’d been apart, and live at the IoW Festival they were blisteringly good, Albarn is such a good frontman.
    Looking forward to seeing The Shins at Greenman this weekend, looks like I’ll be able to see them, Sleaford Mods and Peej one after the other with minimal overlap! Result. 😀

RustySpanner

Possibly arguable, as three out of the four no longer exist

Adds CZ to list.
    Punches Kate Bush doll and decides to frown at old people at Biscuit gigs.

donks
    Free Member

Belle and Sebastian have pretty much turned out decent stuff throughout. see also:

Ride
    Spiritualised
    Wedding present (as noted)
    PJ Harvey
    The Fall
    Beck

Most have done quite a bit of material and give or take a few (probably lots for the fall) of ropey songs they have kept things moving and changed styles and are still making credible stuff.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Black Sabbath.

They were great. They are still great.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

**** me it’s Fred Titmus.

DezB
    Free Member

Dinosaur Jr’s a good one. Bit like the Wedding Present , I suspect (not listened to them since I bought Kennedy on 12″!) – same formula over the years, but just great songs . Love em.

ps44
    Free Member

Nine Below Zero. Awesome in the early 1980’s, still smashing it out now.

windyg
    Free Member

Deftones one of the only bands that I have 100% enjoyed every album.

Pigface
    Free Member

I say the Damned, brilliant then awful now very respectable again and seem to be constantly touring.

If only they would dump Eloise etc from the live show.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Magma/Christian Vander. Still serving up surprises with groundbreaking virtuosity and intensity since the late 60s.

Motorpsycho go from strength to strength the last two recent LPs are both stunning IMO

Same goes for Elder

Nile Rodgers*/Chic still singlehandedly making Glastonbury an event worth seeing.

*hope he’s OK/get well soon :/

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Black Sabbath.

They were great. They are still great.

Now I’m a massive Sabbath fan, but really? All their best material came out in the space of about 4 years starting in 1970! Nothing since Technical Ecstasy has really come close to the good stuff.

The only bands/artists I can think of that really haven’t got worse with time it’s either because they died/gave up/haven’t had time to get shit yet.

The ones that do keep putting out good music seem to put stuff out incredibly infrequently – maybe putting out too many records just bleeds the fun out of it and you start producing crap.

LeeW

Beck, love the way his music has evolved and how it’s influenced by events in his life (Sea Change being the main one).

Same with Damon Albarn too, You could see and hear how his music was maturing with Blur and his solo stuff.

bob_summers

Happy to see hmhb with multiple commendations.

I’m stuck for more to add really. Did the Smiths put out a bad record? Tom Waits? Though I’ve paid little attention to him in recent years and actually had to check her wasn’t dead before posting…

DezB
    Free Member

ps44 –
    Nine Below Zero

Sometimes it’s hard to tell who is serious…

mikey74
    Free Member

Iron Maiden
    Neurosis
    Clutch, sorta (Earth Rocker was awesome but their last one left me cold).
    Unsane
    YOB

there’s loads

igm

ZZ Top

jamj1974

I’d echo the comments about Beck and Damon Albarn. I’d also add King Creosote, Steve Mason, Edgar Jones, Johnny Marr, Chuck D, Gaz Coombs and The Charlatans.

lister

Bob Mould and all his bands.

No filler at all.

redmex
    Free Member

Elouise is the only dammed tune i could listen to

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Ryan Adams

Not a band but hey.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Mark Lanegan
    Afghan Whigs
    Posies

CountZero

Adds CZ to list.
    Punches Kate Bush doll and decides to frown at old people at Biscuit gigs.

😆
    Poor Kate!
    ”Tis true, though the other three are essentially timeless. At the last Biscuit gig I went to in Bath, there was a mosh pit started at the front, pretty much entirely made up of men ‘of a certain age’, shall we say.
    I frowned, a lot!
    And I’m a man of a certain age, and I’m really too damned old to be behaving like that!

Mark Lanegan

Can’t argue with that, very grumpy man, though.

Elouise is the only dammed tune i could listen to

Rather atypical, it’s a Barry Ryan song.

jam-bo

New orbital tracks are awesome.

allyharp

Now I’m a massive Sabbath fan, but really? All their best material came out in the space of about 4 years starting in 1970! Nothing since Technical Ecstasy has really come close to the good stuff.

The only bands/artists I can think of that really haven’t got worse with time it’s either because they died/gave up/haven’t had time to get shit yet.

The ones that do keep putting out good music seem to put stuff out incredibly infrequently – maybe putting out too many records just bleeds the fun out of it and you start producing crap.
    13 is brilliant. As is Heaven and Hell. I’m not so familiar with the stuff in between though.

CountZero

Calexico
    The Dears
    Belly

johndoh
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say 13 is brilliant but it’s pretty good but..

Black Sabbath
    Paranoid
    Masters of Reality
    Vol 4
    Sabotage

remain some of the best music ever published by rock bands.

most of the other stuff is dross but a few highlights on Technical Ecstasy, Heaven and Hell and Never Say Die.

But for a bunch of very old blokes 13 remains decent rather than amazing.

Lifelong Sabbath fan.

cheers_drive

Eels

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘When Bands stay good (or get good again)’ is closed to new replies.